250lbs and want to lose weight riding my comfort bike

trenoi

Nov 2, 2011
I weight 256lbs and haven't eaten much in the past few days so i've been very hungry. I must admit that i dont eat the best of food, that would be clean nutritious food, but i do remember a time where i was fit and mentally felt much bettter, as well as physically. so the past few days i've been starved. i went for a ride today around the a neighborhood loop i used to always do and felt fine just very tired when i got home. i want to lose weight about 50lbs but i'm afraid that the food i have been eating may have some sort of addictive property to it, and there isn't alot of selection around the house to eat, good, or bad. i just find myself starved but am fearful that my poor diet will interfere with eating cleaner foods. i also drink sugar free soda. i realize that has to completely be wiped out. i haven't ridden my bike in ages, and its a decent bike, and don't feel it will be a problem starting back up again. i no longer have a gym membership so my sole fitness will have to come from riding my comfort bike. i'm curious if anyone has any tips, also, about how long of being sedentary and hoping on my bike again does it take for me to be a natural at it ? granted, i usually don't do long long trips ever nor have i in the past but i have done many decent distant trips that should add up to something, but how long does it take for me to build up strength where going out and hitting the road won't be a problem several times a day ?

also can you get one of those bike hutches to carry your bike on your car for inexpensive anywhere ?

thanks all for any help or encouragement.

I really am not qualified to help you much and I bet you know what you need to do. But knowing isn't the same as doing.

What I can say is that at first when you get on a bike, you may find it harder than you expect. But if you can ride at a slow pace for a while, your body should adapt and you then will feel OK to ride further. It is important for you to stick with it and not give up if it feels too hard at first.

I am in excellent shape and health at the correct weight for my height and build. I ride several times a week often commuting 15 miles round trip and much longer trips (30-50 miles typically) on most weekends and whenever else I can grab the time. Despite this, the first mile or so of any ride always seems to take much more effort than I expect. At first I wondered how come it was so hard. But once I settle in I find I can ride about as long as I want - depending on speed and hills of course.

Going from a seditary lifestyle to riding the bike again is going to be a shock to your system. Your body has to cope with the change in motaboism and muscle groups that have been underused that are now needing more energy to function at a higher level as well as repairing and building tissue.

IMHO, I think that time period is the worst time to starve yourself. Your body has to find the energy to keep your muscles going and fat is not a quick substitute so your body will pull from other areas which will leave you, at the very least, more tired and worn out than before you started riding. At some point you may be more likely to give up riding.

Forget the diet/starving yourself. Focus on the cycling and give your legs and body time to build up (2 - 3 months). During that time period you can read up on better eating (not dieting). After you get your bike legs, then you can start working on making healthy changes in your eating habits that will help with the bike riding and eventually you'll start losing weight. Also know that muscle weighs 3 times that of fat. If you haven't ridden before, you will increase your weight as you work out.

I've recently just started riding again. In the past 6 weeks, I've ridden about 500 miles. My weight has been about the same (295 - 300), but I've already dropped a shirt size (XXXL -> XXL) and my pantsize has dropped (50 -> 46).

Hey Trenoi, I am 52 years old, 252 lbs and have got a new zest for life since starting my biking adventure. I started out to lose weight, ( I was 288 a few months ago) and I did it by cutting back on the snacks and eating the right foods along with a Gazelle and some basic excercises for 30 minutes every other day. It was working but was boring staring out my bedroom window while excercising. I dug out my old school 10 speed and cleaned the dust off it and started down the street, WOW, what a nice enjoyable day! So it begins.....I loved it so much, I bought a used Trek Navigator3.0 comfort bike because it felt great to wheel around the parking lot on it. I loved it and rode it for a couple of weeks and before you know, I had went 4 miles on 1 ride and was weak in the legs but felt energized. A couple weeks later I was going 8 miles every other day. But my backside hurt,my legs couldn't stand the hills so I went to a REAL bike store and found out a comfort bike is not for serious excercise/riding long distances with any real pace involved so I purchased a hybrid style bike that took weight off my rear and put it on my legs and arms. I can ride up hills easy now and my whole legs are working and my back doesn't take a pounding from the upright position. Yes, I had pains for a few days but they went away quickly. I am now riding 16 miles every other day, just 80 days into my fitness quest !!! Get a bike that fits you right !!! As far as eating, DO IT ! Starving will rob your body of everything including your muscle. Eat lots of proteins and snack on whatever fruits or veggies you like. Keep trying different ones till you find things you like, it will work wonders! You CAN do it if I did!!! Remember..The first 3 letters in DIET are DIE..... Eat right and get out on that bike and the rest will take care of itself, you'll feel great and people will notice the difference right away ! Now clean out the cupboards of all the bad stuff and replace it with better snacks, you can't eat it if it isn't there !! Trust me, you'll feel great within days and will get fit before you know it, It worked for my old carcass so it will work for you too. Good luck and hang in there!!

Hey, Trenoi, keep going on that bike. I am 76 years old this past September. I started out the year weighing 276 pounds. December 28th last year, I went on the Kaiser Medical Weight Management program. I have had a weight issue most of my adult life and I have lost weight 3 times in a huge way. Every time I was successful losing weight, it was while riding a bicycle. I lost 60 pounds in 30 weeks and now, I am learning how to maintain my current weight.

You must eat and it is up to you to decide what, but the more Carbs you can handle the more energy you will have for your bike rides. You hear lots of noise about too many Carbs. If you eat clean (less fat and Potatoes, so to speak) you can lose weight by supplementing your diet with some of the canned Weight Loss Drinks, like "Equate" from WalMart or Kirkland brand Chocolate Weight Loss drinks. Eat six times a day with light meals and substitute a drink for one of those meals or two meals. You need Carbs or your legs will tire and you don't understand why.

The first 6 or 7 minutes of any ride are the immediate killer moments. Keep your head about you and work through those first few moments. Gear down and don't worry about how slow you are going.

Stick with a comfort type bike and remember what your goal is. The heavier comfort bikes will make you work and burn more calories with less time. When I was 27 I had a crotch rocket bike and rode it back and forth to work 3 days a week and I lost 50 pounds while on the Atkins diet. I don't recommend that diet for us, though, now.

My Doctor has told me not to lose anymore weight, so I'm eating more good food to keep my carbs up and my body anxious to ride and exercise.

Back to the Comfort vs. Road Bikes. Yesterday, I had an appointment with a young guy who was selling a Specialized Roubaix Elite bike with many upgrades. The Guys on the forums all said that was the Old Man's Dream Bike and it rode like a Cadillac. The Carbon Fiber frame does wonders to remove the road shock and yeah I had more weight on my hands, elbows and old shoulders.

I thought I was going to have to have that skinny little seat surgically removed from my butt. I'd just as soon take a beating as ride it again.

This morning, I got on my old Schwinn Solitaire and rode up hill for 3.5 miles and back. My butt doesn't hurt, either. One weekends, I go for rides with two of my sons (53 and 46 years old) and I can keep up with them for 30 miles on the bike trail at the American River Parkway and others.

I weigh in at 206 pounds, today and lots of that is muscle from biking on Comfort Bikes.

My wife keeps reminding me of why I ride the Bikes. I am doing it for the enjoyment and pure exercise. I have 3 bikes. My favorite is a Giant Sedana Womens bike with road tires, front shock and seat shock. I can ride all day on that bike. Why a girls bike, you may ask?

I told my wife one day that I can't lift my leg as high as I used to and I have trouble getting over the seat when I mount on the move.

She says "Well, Honey, you are a much Older Dog these days and you just can't pee up the tree as High". So true and funny.

I also have a BikeE recumbent with the rear shock and a seat the size of a John Deere Tractor and a back rest. Yeah, it is like a Lazy Boy on Wheels. Laugh if you must, but I'm one comfortable dude and I'm losing pounds.

After my little experience yesterday on the Roubaix Elite, I have assured my mind that I will always prefer comfort over speed. I am into it for exercise and enjoyment. I don't care if a lot of tight ass pants up in the air pass me on the Bike Trails. I'm having a ball.

By the way, always carry an energy bar with you when you get far away from home and lots of water.

I cannot properly relate to your situation but have some ideas for you to lose weight whilst cycling.

My situation is that i'm 190lbs and ride with people who are 140-150lbs, they fly up the hills and leave me for dead. (well they used to)
They obviously have a better power to weight ratio than me and this called for weight loss as well as power development.
1. I decided to stop eating the really bad stuff and just take down the amount of bad stuff i may eat. (swap soda for water).
2. I try to arrange exercise in the times i may most want to snack, i.e. after dinner.
3. Have a long term and short term goal and stick to /achieve it.
4. Make a ride diary and put your weight/avg speed/distance/time etc that week/month in so to check your progress.
5. Try a ride with someone else as much as possible, it will make you ride harder and further and also give you a bench mark if they are better than you.

I have been taking a more challenging route to work for the past 6 weeks and in that time i have pushed as hard as i can up the hills and never stopped challenging myself.
I have not only lost weight and increased my power to weight ratio but yesterday i beat our top guy up a small incline in a sprint.(this guy has taken time to ride with me and given so much encouragement, he's as much to thank for the progress as me).
P.s. This was the smallest incline on the whole route but i will start to challenge the hills soon.

Go for it, everything is achieveable and you can do it, push when you have nothing left, increase your stamina, fitness and recovery by pushing the envelope no matter how small a push it is, it all adds up..
As we say where i come from.
'Goo on Youth!! gee it sum!'

Whupp

Reactions: steve
go ride. doesn't matter what the bike is. is activity, and if you enjoy it, you will keep doing it. and if you keep doing it you will loose weight. I went from 245 to under 210 in less than 2 years by riding and only changing my diet a little bit. start out slow and short, and when it feels comfortable, add distance and/or speed.

the food is important. it is your fuel. you need to eat to fuel the exercise. but the food is something you have to figure out yourself, based on your situation, your needs, your budget.

good luck and keep pedaling!

I f you want to lose wait you have to cycle regularly. I am a professional cyclist and I've got some knowledge about it. If you ride 3/4 times a week abou 2/3 hours a day I would say that it is raelly hard to put on weight. If you still can't lose weight get up late at about nine o'clock. Then start a training at about 12 o'clock. Ride for three hours. by the time you take a shower you there will be already five o'clock and the time to eat the last dish of a day. This way you will skip ten different unnencessary snacks. Visit also mybikecoach.blogspot.com

This isn't rocket science. Start riding, ride more, eat better. Use Map my ride. They have a calorie calculator. I started out 260. Tore the meniscus in my right knee. After surgery to repair, doctor told me instead of physical therapy to start riding my bike. Started with 5 miles, then 7, then ten, etc. etc. Switched from a mountain bike to a hybrid. Kept building up over time. This year I switched to a road bike. I now ride 100+ miles a week. I am currently 200 lbs. and quite fit really. I play basketball once a week, run occasionally and play golf (walking, not carting). I did simple things to improve my diet. Ate out rarely. Very few fried foods. Less dairy intake. That's it. My wife loves to cook and bake for our family. We eat well, and a lot. But our exercise regimen allows us to do that. You can lose weight cycling but you have to be steadfast and you have to be motivated to do it. Like I said, it's not rocket science, but it takes work and desire.

I have been working off 50 lbs I gained abruptly in 2010, there is more about it here, on my blog. The one thing I found to help more than anything has been a calorie counter application I picked up for my Android tablet. I just record my meals and activities for the day and it tell me whether or not I have run a calorie deficit. I have been able to maintain a balanced diet a little high in protein and a calorie deficit around 1500 calories per day. I don't lose energy and the fat is slowly coming off like I want it to.

Marc

Trenoi: Where are you located? Cold weather and steep inclines make for bad memories if you're looking to START cycling now. You might be better off looking into your local YMCA if you're in a cold weather climate. Thankfully, we have year round bikini... errr BIKING weather here in S Fl and the closest things to hills are the interstate overpasses. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

IMO: Keep it casual to start, you won't stick to a routine unless you enjoy it. Get yourself a mix of music that you enjoy listening to, (nothing too fast paced) and get a pair of cheap $10 "behind the neck" earphones (not earbuds) that you can keep around your shoulders w/ the music blasting. This will let you hear your music fairly well but still hear all the traffic and incidental sounds perfectly well. Personally; I keep a mix of Primus, Audioslave, Sublime, Pantera, Soul Coughing, Metallica, Chili Peppers, Franti, Clinton and the like on my little Clip+. Nothing too fast that I feel like I'm FORCED to try to keep pace with, but a steady mix of fun and fast tunes. I'm sure you'll find your own music mix but don't FORCE one to mix with the other, cycling should be a fun source of exercise not something that's

Good Luck out there, be safe /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

You want to lose fat, not weight.

Begin to analyze all your thoughts and meals that way. Don't let you get away with the inaccurate ideas you have.

There is a normal range of body mass. The further from the center of that normal range you are, the smaller the window for change is going to be. In order to maximize your activity within the window, use math.

Study the meaning of balanced meals. Calculate exactly what is a realistic amount of fat to lose in a given time and how much of everything you need to eat in order to make sure you get what you need, only.

If you're exercising, compensate for extra exercise with extra rest, not extra calories.

Paragraph separators and caps after punctuation are helpful to us.

Make a committed change in your lifestyle and way of thinking. A gradual change in the way you are living will more likely stick and be easier adapt to. When possible eat natural non processed foods.Organic if possible.Lean meats chicken,turkey,venison. Whole grains.Oatmeal etc.Find what your caloric intake per day should be (be honest with yourself about the type of lifestyle your living ie; very active,moderately etc.) Take a regular day w/your typical diet and count the calories your taking in,for instance pour your regular sz serving of cereal in a bowl.Then pour it in a measuring cup and check the packaging of the cereal to see what your your serving sz is and how many calories your consuming.Then do the same with the milk your adding to it.Try to do this w/all meals and snacks for a typical day.Write it all down and add the calories up at the end of the day.Compare that to what your caloric intake should be for height age and level of activity. By just eating properly you will most likely loose weight. Then you can factor in how many calories you will burn during your daily rides/exercise again be honest with your self when looking at at how many calories you will typically burn for a 1hr ride or walk at what ever intensity level it may be.You can the figure out how much of a caloric deficit you will need to drop X amount of excess weight in x amount of time.Keep writing down your calories you will see it in black and white and the numbers don't lie. Start of with some easy spinning and relatively short rides 20 -30 min for a couple of weeks or so until you start to feel stronger and gradually increase the mileage and intensity (GRADUALLY). Remember not to worry about losing in a hurry if you make this a lifestyle change there is no rush and the weight will come off and you will be healthier inside and out.

I find the biggest issues with new riders who have some weight issues are that they find it hard to really commit to it. So if I was you, I wouldn't change TOO much of the way you eat but what I would do is focus on my riding a lot more.
Of course its always great to eat and drink a lot healthier, but at the moment if I were you I would just change from soda to water and try and get out as much as possible! You need to find the commitment and will to do that first, and if you get to the point where you are capable of doing 50-80 miles a week start to look at changing your diet, and by then the weight will just be falling off you!

Good luck on your journey! Keep us informed on how you are doing :)

Regards.

Originally Posted by scartissue22 .

Of course its always great to eat and drink a lot healthier, but at the moment if I were you I would just change from soda to water

Perhaps soda to iced tea, that's how I did it. I actually only drink water when out on my bike or gimping through trails up north.

Don't buy that Arizona ****, it's cheaper and healthier to brew your own. Get a Mr Coffee Iced Tea maker, you can buy tea in bulk from the local asian/indian markets. Four rounded teaspoons of black tea and one of mint gives me three quarts of tea that I bottle and bring into work with me or drink while sitting about on the computer. Add lemon to taste and there's no need for sugar. Take your lunch into work in a cooler, keep your bottles inside w/an icepack to keep it all cold

I agree. Imagine yourself in 10, 20 years time always sticking to the harsh diet.Mission impossible for me. Eating is pleasure and so is riding a bike. Cycle more and you won't have any weight problems.

Just like any other training, consistent, incremental improvements will get you where you want to go. Get yourself moving. Cycling is great, but find other activities as well. At least an hour a day of activity is essential, but don't go nuts. Listen to your body, not that little voice that says "I'm tired, can't we sit in front of the TV eating donuts", but rather pay attention to the difference between being tired and sore and being overtrained or injured.

Counterintuitively, not eating is the poorest way to lose weight and the most likely approach to fail catastrophically within the first days or weeks. I suggest that you start by making an honest appraisal of what and how much you eat. Keep a record of your food consumption including portion sizes and count the calories you consume. I know a lot of people who think "I don't eat that much" my former self included, who are shocked when they see an accurate account of a week's consumption. An acquaintance of mine took my advice and found that while his meals were quite balanced and reasonable, he was consuming close to 1,000 calories a day in sodas and coffee drinks as well as a few coffee break snacks. He had estimated his daily average intake at 2,500 calories and found it was actually closer to 3,200.

There is a lot of controversy over whether or not junk food is truly "addictive" in the physiological sense, but it can be a very hard habit to break. Make changes in increments, I found that improving my breakfast made a huge difference to how I ate for the rest of the day. When I went from a donut and cappucino on my way to work, to a bowl of oatmeal, lowfat milk, and a hardboiled egg, I found myself skipping the morning coffee break (which usually included cookies or something equally as nutrition free) and being less hungry at noon. Not phenominal, but it probably cut 200 calories out of my morning and was better for me.

Over time, I cut the amount of starchy carbs like potatoes, bread, pasta, and rice in half and switched to whole or multi-grain versions and added more non-starchy vegetables like peppers, onion, beans, eggplant, mushrooms, squash, pumpkin, and leafy greens. I still enjoy a good plate of spaghetti, I just use a multi-grain pasta and load my sauce with chopped vegetables and lean meat. The whole and multi-grain pastas have improved a great deal over the past decade and I find that there are some that I like even more than traditional pasta. My advice is to avoid the carb control type pastas which use a modified non-digestable starch to reduce the net carbs. Expanding on that, I avoid all non-foods intended to replace food for the sake of reducing calories. I find that I'm better off using smaller amounts of the real thing or real food alternatives rather than fake, calorie free, non-foods. For example, if I want to sweeten my oatmeal, I'll use a tablespoon of honey or real maple syrup rather than an artificial sweetner.

When I feel the need for a treat, I like to ride my bike to Subway or the local coffee shop and get one cookie and a milk which I then take with me to enjoy on a bench in the park before I ride home. This was a big change from the days when I considered a box of a dozen cookies from the bakery to be single-serve and would wash them down with a huge glass of milk while sitting on the couch in front of the TV.

I'm not saying this is the "right" way but if you find any of these suggestions work for you, great. More important is to start making positive changes. Once you start, it gets easier with time and continued commitment and effort. For most people, huge changes overnight don't work long term, it has to be a process that involves both physical and mental adaptation.

Good Luck

Eat better food and likely less food, and then burn more calories than you take in. It's not the quickest way to go, but it has lasting results. A more drastic option would be to use meat carver.