255 gear inchs = 109 MPH !

ThrillBilly

May 17, 2004
from a schwinn timeline:

Drafting a race car, French racer Alfred Letourner sets the speed record of 108.92 mph on a Paramount bicycle with 255 gear inches. Now that's pushing a BIG gear. :eek:

from the bicycle museum of americas website: http://www.bicyclemuseum.com/Html/bike8.html

Alfred Letourner, one of the top six-day racers of the era, traveled to Bakersfield, California, and on May 17, 1941, rode in the draft of a specially equipped midget racer to achieve the amazing speed of 108.92 mph. The feat was sponsored by Schwinn, and Letourner rode a Paramount with a gear ratio of 9-1/2 to 1. It was a credit to Emil Wastyn, who built the bicycle, that Letourner would even attempt such a feat on a machine that weighed a scant 20 pounds. But Wastyn was one of the most trusted names in bicycles, as was Schwinn, and Letourner was the daredevil who made cycling history.

the highest speed to date was acheived by fred rompelberg from holland on oct. 3rd 1995. he reached a speed of 167.043 mph (268.831kmh) at bonneville salt flats in the usa. he acheived this speed behind a lead vehicle and used its slipstream. unfortunatly, i dont know what size gear he was using to gain this record.

Originally posted by ALAN OBRIEN
the highest speed to date was acheived by fred rompelberg from holland on oct. 3rd 1995. he reached a speed of 167.043 mph (268.831kmh) at bonneville salt flats in the usa. he acheived this speed behind a lead vehicle and used its slipstream. unfortunatly, i dont know what size gear he was using to gain this record.
let me just say 1 more thing, i really dont think i'd like to come off the bike at that speed.......

CAbike said:
My father, Vincent Clerou, organized that time trial for the Alfred Letourner record here in Bakersfield,CA. My father had a Schwinn shop called Vincent's and he spoke fluent French. He knew all the Schwinn family. He was always disappointed his name was not used by the Schwinns because he even had to shut down highway 99 to organize the event. I heard about that day for many years. I am glad there is still interest in Alfred Letourner .