255 lbs a problem for Carbon Frame?

dhk said:
At 255 lbs, the Trek 5000 frame might be stiff enough and strong enough if you stay away from rough roads. But I'd suspect the OEM wheels and tires would go south on you quickly.
I am 6'4", 235lbs. What wheels would you recommend for someone my size. I ride on Bontrager Select wheels, 700x25c tires. I have notice that it Doesn't take much for my wheels to go out of true, and I ride on pretty smooth roads.

steve26 said:
Thanks to everyone for replying, it is a great forum!

I will go to my LBS and test ride some bikes. In my original post when I asked about carbon bikes that was just my own ignorance not realizing that I do not need a carbon bike....
In this world there are wants and needs. CF is a want.

Yes, some of my interest in cycling is the 'lance factor' but I have been training for my 1st marathon for several months now. I was a division 1 athlete 10 years ago and was around 210 lbs at 6'4''. I have over the last few years let myself go and thus the 255lbs....a few months ago I was 280lbs.

My plan is to get down to 220lbs. I really find running boring, so I want to get into cycling.

The cycling I would do would be to get into shape...i would not be riding to 'look at the flowers' but to really push myself hard....Potentially someday racing...though i would never have the natural gifts to be a great racer, I would like to compete in some shape or form.
Hey, if Lance is what it takes to get you back into taking care of yourself then that's great. He's been very inspirational for a number of people.

It took me about 10 years to go from Greek god to a quivering blob of gelatinous flesh. :eek: I was once a fairly buff 195 - 200 lbs. That all changed when my lower back started hurting and I quit jogging and lifting weights. Bad move on my part. Although I haven't lost the weight yet I've lost quite a bit of subcutaneous fat and even have abs showing at 245 lbs of bodyweight. A couple more years and I may even have a 6 pack. Could be sooner but I'm not willing to cut out the pizza and beer. :D Some things are worth keeping!

Especially about the wheel width and spokes.

I am thinking I am going to spend around $1,500 on the bike.
What kind of costs should I be thinking of for accessories?
helmet, clothing, pedals, shoes, computer bike, etc, etc?

Thanks again everyone for the advice. It is very much appreciated.

p.s. Someone asked about my running times and I will be running the marathon around 4hrs10min to 4hrs 30 min.
There are a lot of good bikes out there for $1500 and I think you'll be very happy with what you can find at that price range. The quality of components has improved quite a bit in the past decade to where even the lower end groups are better than the high end of the past, but don't take my word for it - this is directly from Sheldon Brown himself. If you stick around the equipment forum for any length of time you'll find out who he is.

Bikes in that price range are anything from a very relaxed upright riding position, such as the Specialized Sequoia, to the more aggressive racing geometry and riding position. It's really a matter of personal choice of which you prefer. Just pick one that fits you better over one that looks cool and you'll be happier with it in the long run. They may be the same thing, but they may not.

Accessories can run a couple hundred bucks pretty easily. One thing you may want to really check is pedals. Some have a wider platform and others don't. Some have quite a bit of float and others have about 4%. It's a very personal choice on pedals and you may want to just use some platforms until you've had a good chance to research them a bit. I use the Shimano MTB styled clipless on my MTB and road bikes as I wanted to be able to have 1 pair of shoes that do double duty. It probably isn't the "best" solution actually.

From a guy who swore he would never wear lycra, cycling shorts are a must as are the helmet and gloves. I don't think these need to be top dollar items but opinions vary. You can often find a decent last year's helmet at closeout prices online for good prices (www.nashbar.com).

Good luck with your new sport and good luck with your marathon. I don't know if that's a decent time or not but just being able to complete a marathon at 255 lbs sounds like quite an accomplishment to me.

Enjoy.

kvl1027 said:
I am 6'4", 235lbs. What wheels would you recommend for someone my size. I ride on Bontrager Select wheels, 700x25c tires. I have notice that it Doesn't take much for my wheels to go out of true, and I ride on pretty smooth roads.
Well-built 32 spoke wheels with 3-cross spokes ought to hold up a long time for you without a need for truing. I'd probably pick Mavic OP rims, with Ultegra hubs, and 14/15/14 or straight 14 gauge DT spokes and brass nipples, but there are other rim choices that might be even stronger.

Daveornee is the expert wheelbuilder and seller here; if he responds, he may recommend other options.

DaveB1234 said:
People like you are the main reason I avoid posting in forums -- you act like you know what's best for everyone and instead of answering the question you interject a bunch of BS about how a new rider shouldn’t do this or that – please, keep your opinions to yourself.
Hey toolshed, what do you think a forum is for? Why do you think the OP made his post? Why don't you go back to avoiding posting forums. :rolleyes:

steve26 said:
Yes, some of my interest in cycling is the 'lance factor' but I have been training for my 1st marathon for several months now. I was a division 1 athlete 10 years ago and was around 210 lbs at 6'4''. I have over the last few years let myself go and thus the 255lbs....a few months ago I was 280lbs.

My plan is to get down to 220lbs. I really find running boring, so I want to get into cycling.
My two cents as someone your size but about 60 lbs lighter in race trim is that you should look for something stiff above and beyond all else. Your weight and commensurate power, combined with the longer tubes of a frame that fits, will result in a noodle of a frame that in smaller sizes for smaller riders is quite stiff. I am not an expert in CF offerings, but if you have your heart set on it, just make sure you emphasize you need something crazy stiff.

wilmar13 said:
Hey toolshed, what do you think a forum is for? Why do you think the OP made his post? Why don't you go back to avoiding posting forums. :rolleyes:

You must have trouble reading as well. Apparently, you didn't see my follow-up post. But, whatever, you're probably some pencil necked geek sitting behind a keyboard...whatever. You know what they say about arguing over the internet...you must be the poster boy.

Doctor Morbius said:
Forgiven. Welcome to Cycling Forums.
Thanks for the welcome -- I've been here a while but don't post that often -- I guess I went a bit overboard at the beginning of this thread.

Doctor Morbius said:
People who are just starting out in cycling - whether it be the "Lance Factor" or because their knees are shot and they can't run anymore or whatever - are often better off buying a starter bike because what they thought was important will change over time. It's not uncommon for somebody to have buyer's remorse 6 - 12 months after a 1st bike purchase. $1500 - $2000 is pretty expensive for a garage ornament if they opt not to stick with it or don't enjoy riding the bike for some reason.
This is true; however, you could argue buyers remorse of not buying a carbon fiber at the onset.

Doctor Morbuis said:
It now sounds as though the OP has already changed his mind about CF and is looking at a Felt F55. As you can see it's only been a few days and he's already changed his mind. Buyer's remorse obligitory 6 - 12 month waiting period not necessary. Perhaps the responses have swayed him away from a CF frame at his weight. Who knows?

He very well may have changed his decision. The Felt is a good bike, but maybe not as good as some carbon fiber bikes -- especially considering his weight. I question the perceived value of the Felt (nice components, great price).

Dave

I'm 255, 6'4" myself. I ride a steel Jamis Quest (2004) which was ~$1200. It has Mavic Cosmos wheels which are still true after 800 miles of imperfect pavement. I was a bit afraid of the reduced spoke count, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

As a bigger rider, the steel felt smoother, and sturdier. There isn't a huge difference in weight either. The whole bike is still 19.5 lbs. I looked hard at Aluminum frames, including the Felt F60, and they felt bonejarring after testing a steel frame.

Just though I would put in my two cents. I have a Trek 5000 and weight around 230 and this has been a fantastic bike. I have about 3500miles on it now and the stock wheels have only needed to be trued three times. The stock Race series may be the bottem end but they are very well built. My only complant would be the rear wheel rubs against the brakes when I take a hard cornner, but overall this has been a fantastic bike. I have owned several treks, one of which was 6 years old when the frame failed at a weld and trek bought me a new one.

So, I guess my point is this: if you are purchasing the frame and looking at it as a 5-10 year investment then carbon is probably not the best choice. If you are fully aware of carbons limitations in terms of care and lifespan,

What is the basis of this sort of hooey? I have seen no objective data demonstrating that carbon fiber has a lower lifespan than any other frame material under general use.

Zasker1 said:
Just though I would put in my two cents. I have a Trek 5000 and weight around 230 and this has been a fantastic bike. I have about 3500miles on it now and the stock wheels have only needed to be trued three times. The stock Race series may be the bottem end but they are very well built. My only complant would be the rear wheel rubs against the brakes when I take a hard cornner, but overall this has been a fantastic bike. I have owned several treks, one of which was 6 years old when the frame failed at a weld and trek bought me a new one.
Trek must have a pretty generous warranty on their bikes. One guy on these forums just got a 12 year old OCLV frame with 31,000 miles replaced no questions asked.

Doctor Morbius said:
Trek must have a pretty generous warranty on their bikes. One guy on these forums just got a 12 year old OCLV frame with 31,000 miles replaced no questions asked.

Has OCLV been around for that long? Wow! One thing I was going to point out is that one can't just say that "yeah, carbon is fine for a guy that size" or "No, carbon won't work for a guy that size". Some carbon frames would be fine and others won't. Carbon frames vary drastically from one manufacturer to another. Make sure you check manufacturers weight limits.

Zasker1 said:

I also have a Trek 5000 carbon bike. I am 6'3" 240lbs. I have probably about 5000 miles on it - great bike. In general at your weight you want to avoid lightweight anything... The Trek 5000 comes with Bontrager Race wheels - these aren't the lightest, but not bad and are really stout. I think the front spoke count is 20 and rear 24. I have had the rear wheel trued once and the front wheel trued once. The fact that the front wheel still even rolls is impressive... I had a bad crash about a year ago, where a car cut into my lane at a T intersection forcing me to go wide on a turn and in the process run over a 1" stick that flipped up and loldged in my front spokes! This is NOT good, do not try this! :D

Basically the equivalent of someone jamming a broomstick into the spokes of a 240 lb rider doing 13mph - was already slowing to make turn...

I instantly rotated over the handlebars and slammed into the concrete head/shoulder first :eek: . Head was fine - helmet was not, and I separated my shoulder, but the wheel was still ridable, but out of true some, with one spoke bent like a question mark, but no broken spokes - those are some tough spokes! Bike was also fine.

LBS replaced one spoke and retrued the wheel.

I think at your weight a good carbon bike is fine - just stay away from the super lightweight wheels, etc. - and do NOT run over any sticks!!!

No, I wouldn't buy a carbon frame (and I didn't). Besides the scary absolute price, do a cost/benefit analysis.

Ride comfort can be matched or bettered by a steel or steel/carbon frameset.

In fact, the *only* thing CF gets you is lighter weight, and at your weight and experience level, that is a neglible if not nil difference.

On the downside, CF durability long term is a risk. Racing frames (those of very low weight) aren't designed to last long-term. And a beefy rider like you would put considerably more stress on a frame - and in unexpected ways - than a pro.

I'm 240 lbs, and I went with steel/carbon for exactly these reasons. The fact that I also saved $1500+ was a nice side benefit.