26.0 vs 31.8 - What's the difference ?

ieandro

Aug 19, 2006
Are there any advantage of having a 31.8mm size handlebar over 26.0mm bar ?

What is the reason of phasing out 26.0 ? Or at least from what I heard from my bikeshop.

its like the integrated vs traditional headset battle, it is the latest techno-fad. They say its stiffer, but I couldn't tell the difference between two different sizes of the same bar. They are 'phasing out' 26 because the pros ride 31.8, and everyone wants 31.8 now. Oh, yeah, 31.8 are a tiny bit heavier (general statement, has to be the same model of bar)

ieandro said:

What is the reason of phasing out 26.0 ? Or at least from what I heard from my bikeshop.
I've had three 31.8 set ups. They're pretty stiff (I can't tell a huge difference from my older 26.0's), but bar slippage has really been a non issue. I have two Ritchey WCS OS combo's, and they're very light. I would think the oversized would be an advantage with carbon bars (larger diameter is a little stronger, larger clamp surface etc).

ieandro said:

A secondary reason as to why the "industry" has embraced the 31.8 OS (Over Sized) handlebar center section "standard" is because it saves money on inventory ... if only in stem sizes that need to be produced/catalogued.

The smaller sizes (25.4 to 26.2) are a legacy from when bikes used quill stems ... a very long legacy.

For most ROAD riders, the mechanical advantage is probably imperceptible if they are already using a qualtiy bar & stem.

There may be a more obvious advantage for MTB riders who happen to negotiate rock strewn trails -- I don't know ...

But, a lot of innovations (of necessity OR engineering fancy) are most readily accepted by the MTB community and are subsequently accepted in more tradition-oriented ROAD equipment as sponsors convince their riders to use the "new" equipment.

If MTB and Road bars are all eventually the same size, then the stems will work on both kinds of bikes and that's something I guess - especially if you run a shop.

With 26.0 (the "other" standard and still quite common if not the most common) you'll have less trouble with clamp on computer mounts and lights, that sort of thing.

I wouldn't consider 31.8 an upgrade, but I wouldn't mind it if it came on a new bike either. It's just not that important.

DiabloScott said:
With 26.0 (the "other" standard and still quite common if not the most common) you'll have less trouble with clamp on computer mounts and lights, that sort of thing.
It may be inelegant, but I found that the standard clamp readily fits where the OS section meets the rest of the bar ... of course, the width of the center section varies, but the computer head (or, whatever is being attached) ends up to one side of the stem over the OS section -- worth trying to see if the positioning is acceptable before buying the "extra" clamp.

I switch back and forth regularly between older Cinelli alloy bars and a new FSA Energy bar with the larger 31.8 (1.500") center section.

I notice no difference in flex between the two handlbars. The Cinelli bar is on my track bike and they get plenty of pushing and pulling.

PeterF said:
I would think the oversized would be an advantage with carbon bars (larger diameter is a little stronger, larger clamp surface etc).
But carbon bars are stiffer. Some carbon bars are 26mm to save weight.
The OS thing started with people trying to make ultralight aluminum bars, and with aluminum, bigger, thinner, tubes are stiffer.

The Evil Twin said:
But carbon bars are stiffer. Some carbon bars are 26mm to save weight.
The OS thing started with people trying to make ultralight aluminum bars, and with aluminum, bigger, thinner, tubes are stiffer.
My thinking on the OS carbon is along the lines of carbon fiber fork steerers. The 1.125" can use more headet spacers than the 1".

I think oversized has it's place in the carbon world where the stress is spread over a larger area but I don't think it's necessary in the aluminum arena.

Otherwise, it seems to me yet another ploy by the industry to get many of us to buy more "new & improved!" (read: unneccesary) stuff, and/or as others have said, to make inventory easier for mfg's and thus, to increase their profits.

I just like the feel of my OS bars:) It's nice to grip the wider section(I have reasonably big hands "big hands I know you're the one...") and it feels better than the thinner middle sections on my standard bars.
I can still be a pain getting some light units/computers to fit though.

Some titles just bring out an attitude in me (in a joking way) and I have bypassed it here, but now it showed up one too many times and I have to get it out of my system.

The answer is 5.8 :p

dgregory57 said:
Some titles just bring out an attitude in me (in a joking way) and I have bypassed it here, but now it showed up one too many times and I have to get it out of my system.

The answer is 5.8 :p

HA! BTW, your HS photo looks like a guy who used to beat me up.