26.4mm (old Cinelli) clamp stem

> Where can I find one other than fleabay? TIA.

In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And even
then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to be
just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Where can I find one other than fleabay? TIA.

> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And even
> then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to be
> just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com

No, the bars weren't creakers. However, 1R stems were. I've never
heard (or seen) a properly greased Cinelli bar creak. 1R stems however
creaked a great deal.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Where can I find one other than fleabay? TIA.

> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And even
> then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to be
> just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."

Over the years, I've had Cinelli 66/44 bars and Cinelli stems ( a 1A
and three XAs) on four different bikes and lotsa miles. No creaking,
ever.

damyth wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > > Where can I find one other than fleabay? TIA.

> > In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
> > what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And even
> > then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to be
> > just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."
> >
> > --Mike Jacoubowsky
> > Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > www.ChainReaction.com

> No, the bars weren't creakers. However, 1R stems were. I've never
> heard (or seen) a properly greased Cinelli bar creak. 1R stems however
> creaked a great deal.

Cinelli 1R, the "Death Stem"! Creaking was the least of the problems.
:-0

>> Where can I find one other than fleabay? TIA.

> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And
> even then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going
> to be just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com

I have a Cinelli Eubios in a great shape that I'd love to use.

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 wrote:
> Where can I find one other than fleabay? TIA.

I have several (bars too).
Or are you looking for NOS?

DR

> I have a Cinelli Eubios in a great shape that I'd love to use.

What length u lookin' for? I have a 120 Grammo Ti that's 26.4. Not full
price, but not cheap either ;-]
Jim

>> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
>> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And
>> even
>> then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to
>> be
>> just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."

> Over the years, I've had Cinelli 66/44 bars and Cinelli stems ( a 1A
> and three XAs) on four different bikes and lotsa miles. No creaking,
> ever.

Our experiences differ. Only towards the end of the "classic" bar's
production did we see the creaking issue disappear. The glued sleeve was the
issue; I switched to 3TTT bars myself (which had a formed middle section
instead of a sleeve). We sold one heck of a lot of those bars over the years
(not too many alternatives back in the day, aside from 3TTT and, if you
wanted to take your life literally in your hands, Belleri), and it certainly
would have made my life easier if so many hadn't been creaky.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
>> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And
>> even
>> then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to
>> be
>> just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."
>>
>> --Mike Jacoubowsky
>> Chain Reaction Bicycles
>> www.ChainReaction.com

> No, the bars weren't creakers. However, 1R stems were. I've never
> heard (or seen) a properly greased Cinelli bar creak. 1R stems however
> creaked a great deal.

You can grease the external part of the bar all you want and you won't get
rid of the problem I'm talking about, which was the interface between the
bar and its glued-on sleeve in the middle. The 1R stems were truly an
abomination, but creaking generally went away if you simply greased the heck
out of the internals. The world of handlebars & stems is a much-better place
today than it was back then. Stems certainly don't look as nice now as they
did back then, but they sure work a whole lot better.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> >> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time?

Seriously,
> >> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike?

And
> >> even
> >> then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going

> >> be
> >> just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."

> > Over the years, I've had Cinelli 66/44 bars and Cinelli stems ( a 1A
> > and three XAs) on four different bikes and lotsa miles. No creaking,
> > ever.

> Our experiences differ. Only towards the end of the "classic" bar's
> production did we see the creaking issue disappear. The glued sleeve was

the
> issue; I switched to 3TTT bars myself (which had a formed middle section
> instead of a sleeve). We sold one heck of a lot of those bars over the

years
> (not too many alternatives back in the day, aside from 3TTT and, if you
> wanted to take your life literally in your hands, Belleri), and it

certainly
> would have made my life easier if so many hadn't been creaky.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I've always loved the look of the 1A stems, copied but not equaled. I
never cared for Cinelli bars because of the drops and shapes but I agree
on the 3TTT bars.

I put together a vintage 'Nag this past summer with a NOS 1A stem. It
creaks a little in the steering tube when I take off hard from a stop
light. Need to check it out.

Chas.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
> >> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And
> >> even
> >> then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to
> >> be
> >> just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."
> >>
> >> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> >> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >> www.ChainReaction.com

> > No, the bars weren't creakers. However, 1R stems were. I've never
> > heard (or seen) a properly greased Cinelli bar creak. 1R stems however
> > creaked a great deal.

> You can grease the external part of the bar all you want and you won't get
> rid of the problem I'm talking about, which was the interface between the
> bar and its glued-on sleeve in the middle. The 1R stems were truly an
> abomination, but creaking generally went away if you simply greased the heck
> out of the internals. The world of handlebars & stems is a much-better place
> today than it was back then. Stems certainly don't look as nice now as they
> did back then, but they sure work a whole lot better.

'Tis the season..granted just everyday stems and handlebars work way
better, look worse but at the fringes you see 31.8, stoopid pight,
exotic, not necceasry materials...all in the name of....MARKETING...a
carbon or magnesium stem, carbon handlebar, that give the bike no
performance gain, save ohhh so little weight but add $600-$1000 to the
price is just plain..well, marketing.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> In recycle bins that haven't been emptied in a very long time? Seriously,
> >> what's the need for one, other than to try and restore an old bike? And
> >> even
> >> then, I'd question the choice, because finding a decent bar is going to
> >> be
> >> just as difficult, and most of the Cinelli bars were "creakers."

> > Over the years, I've had Cinelli 66/44 bars and Cinelli stems ( a 1A
> > and three XAs) on four different bikes and lotsa miles. No creaking,
> > ever.

> Our experiences differ.

They do differ. I've heard of the issue on other people's bikes, but
never had it happen to me, even when pulling hard on the bars. I've
been using Cinelli bars and stems since 1980, and two of my current
bikes have them. Perhaps I'm just lucky(?).

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2006-12-21, Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Cinelli 1R, the "Death Stem"! Creaking was the least of the problems.
> >:-0

> I thought that moniker was reserved for the AVA stem:
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
>
> :)

My reference was an allusion to the old Cinelli M71 strapless pedal,
aka the "death cleats". The Cinelli 1R stem had a tendency to let the
bar loose, with the usual consequences. This was at a time when failure
was less tolerated than it is today.

* * Chas wrote:
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> Seriously,

> And

>>>Over the years, I've had Cinelli 66/44 bars and Cinelli stems ( a 1A
>>>and three XAs) on four different bikes and lotsa miles. No creaking,
>>>ever.

>>Our experiences differ. Only towards the end of the "classic" bar's
>>production did we see the creaking issue disappear. The glued sleeve was

> the
>
>>issue; I switched to 3TTT bars myself (which had a formed middle section
>>instead of a sleeve). We sold one heck of a lot of those bars over the

> years
>
>>(not too many alternatives back in the day, aside from 3TTT and, if you
>>wanted to take your life literally in your hands, Belleri), and it

> certainly
>
>>would have made my life easier if so many hadn't been creaky.
>>
>>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>>

> I've always loved the look of the 1A stems, copied but not equaled. I
> never cared for Cinelli bars because of the drops and shapes but I agree
> on the 3TTT bars.
>
> I put together a vintage 'Nag this past summer with a NOS 1A stem. It
> creaks a little in the steering tube when I take off hard from a stop
> light. Need to check it out.

I found a major source of Cinelli creaks is rubbing between the front of
the stem quill and the headset lockring. I think this is an issue
particularly because of the Cinelli expander wedge design - not an issue
with the diagonal-cut wedge on cheaper Japanese stems (and some modern
Italian stems), but I could be wrong about this. One strong hint was the
markings the lockring were putting on the stem quill.

After years of using a bit of teflon tape at that interface (which
eventually wears through) I think I've found a solution:

Cut a 2cm x 1cm rectangle out of a slightly heavy plastic bag. The
medium-heavy ziplock bags that parts sometimes come it are about right.
Slip between the front of the stem quill and the headset lockring.
The plastic stops the metal-on-metal rub, and is well away from the
expanding part of the stem so it doesn't degrade the grip on the steerer
tube. The bit of plastic that sticks out is virtually invisible, too.

This has made the difference between a setup that squeaked under even a
stern look to a squeak-free interface even when pulling hard on the bars.

Mark J.

> 'Tis the season..granted just everyday stems and handlebars work way
> better, look worse but at the fringes you see 31.8, stoopid pight,
> exotic, not necceasry materials...all in the name of....MARKETING...a
> carbon or magnesium stem, carbon handlebar, that give the bike no
> performance gain, save ohhh so little weight but add $600-$1000 to the
> price is just plain..well, marketing.

But, if road, mtn & cross stems all ended up settling on the 31.8mm size,
then in my opinion, it would be worthwhile. Silly to have so many different
sizes for similar applications.

-- Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > 'Tis the season..granted just everyday stems and handlebars work way
> > better, look worse but at the fringes you see 31.8, stoopid pight,
> > exotic, not necceasry materials...all in the name of....MARKETING...a
> > carbon or magnesium stem, carbon handlebar, that give the bike no
> > performance gain, save ohhh so little weight but add $600-$1000 to the
> > price is just plain..well, marketing.

> But, if road, mtn & cross stems all ended up settling on the 31.8mm size,
> then in my opinion, it would be worthwhile. Silly to have so many different
> sizes for similar applications.
>
> -- Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Agree completely! Altho the '31.8' doesn't mean or do anything, it
would be ohh so worth it to have one stem, hbar size..