26" fork on 700c wheel?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SMun, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. SMun

    SMun Guest

    I've got an extra fork from my mountain bike and was wondering if it could
    fit on my niece's hybrid, with 700c wheels. It would be an upgrade on the
    hybrid's fork, but would it work? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    SMun wrote:

    > I've got an extra fork from my mountain bike and was wondering if it could
    > fit on my niece's hybrid, with 700c wheels. It would be an upgrade on the
    > hybrid's fork, but would it work?

    Nope. The brakes won't contact the rim, and the tire is likely to rub
    against the fork crown or arch. If it is a suspension fork, the crown
    may be able to come into contact with the tire-- a sure way to take a
    trip over the handlebars.

    A skinny road bike wheel and tire in 700c-- like from a racing bike,
    not a hybrid-- can often be fitted into a rigid mountain bike fork, and
    then it is sometimes possible to use a caliper brake on the larger
    wheel. There are even a few MTB brakes that can be persuaded to work
    (badly) on a 700c rim, by sliding the pad holder up to a higher point
    on the brake arm. Either way, this is a hokey thing to do.

    Chalo Colina

  3. dvt

    dvt Guest

    SMun wrote:
    > I've got an extra fork from my mountain bike and was wondering if it could
    > fit on my niece's hybrid, with 700c wheels. It would be an upgrade on the
    > hybrid's fork, but would it work? Thanks.

    Probably not.

    It might work if you can limit the travel on the fork (assuming a
    suspension fork) so the tire doesn't bottom out on the crown. And you'd
    also need to have disc brakes. Even if you have both of those criteria
    met, you're likely to encounter some other problem.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  4. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 03:01:40 GMT, "SMun" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I've got an extra fork from my mountain bike and was wondering if it could
    >fit on my niece's hybrid, with 700c wheels. It would be an upgrade on the
    >hybrid's fork, but would it work? Thanks.

    You have 2 issues to solve:
    1) Either suspension or rigid, does the wheel fit in the fork without
    contacting the top of the fork?
    2) If you don't have disk brakes, you'll need to mount either long
    reach caliper brakes, or use an adapter such as this
    http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/p/produit_accessoire_REHAUSSEURS_DE_TASSEAUX.php?gamme=asphalte
    to mount either V-brakes or cantilever brakes

    Regards,
    JBR