26" Front Wheel on Burley Hepcat

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by landon2, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. landon2

    landon2 Guest

    Has anyone tried retro-fitting a 26" front wheel (vs the 20") on a Burley Hepcat? If so, were there
    any geometry problems? Handling issues? What fork did you go to? Since "Big Wheels Rule" now-a-
    days, I thought I'd join the fray and make my bent go really fast by adding the big wheel up front
    ;>) Comments?

    (remove 'despam' for direct reply}

    Chuck

    Tags:

  2. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    if you go to smartgroups.com and punch in burleyriders there is a picture of one, but it's a Canto.
    Plus a hard shell on a hepcat

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Has anyone tried retro-fitting a 26" front wheel (vs the 20") on a Burley Hepcat? If so, were
    > there any geometry problems? Handling issues? What fork did you go to? Since "Big Wheels Rule" now-a-
    > days, I thought I'd join the fray and make my bent go really fast by adding the big wheel up front
    > ;>) Comments?
    >
    > (remove 'despam' for direct reply}
    >
    > Chuck

  3. If you want to learn some interesting lessons then go right ahead and put a 26" wheel and fork on
    the front end of your Hepcat, but know that others have been there before you.

    In stock form, The Hepcat in my opinion is one of the sweetest handling SWB recumbents available
    commercially. Without going into detail, putting a 26" front wheel on it will only screw it up. You
    will have geometry problems, and perhaps design, and even ergonomic problems too.

    Going to a large front wheel will simultaneously make the head angle shallower, and increase the
    trail value thereby changing the feel of the controls by a lot more than you might like. If you can
    obtain a fork with an unusually large amount of offset you can lessen some of the effect, but I
    predict that in any event you'll surely be disappointed with the resultant handling. You may also
    have problems with the cranks overlapping the front wheel. I don't know about you, but for me that
    is a recipe for a sure accident. Also, what do you think about pedaling around with your feet up in
    your field of vision? It may also be an issue for you whether or not your blood will struggle to
    reach your toes?

    In addition to understanding some of the mathematics and physics involved I've got multiple bikes
    including one convertible SWB/LWB recumbent with whose geometry I've experimented extensively. I've
    done this type of thing before - including the sure accident. So I'm not just talking out my butt.

    Besides - a 26" wheel won't make you go any faster! It will make the ride a bit smoother though if
    you use an equivalent tire and pressure.

    Have fun!

  4. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    there are many bikes with this conversion, such as v-rex and vision. Post on BROL about it, you'll
    get some good advice. It will change the handling some, but it won't be that drastic. Biggest thing
    is the seat height will be quite a bit higher.

    George MacKenzie wrote:
    > If you want to learn some interesting lessons then go right ahead and put a 26" wheel and fork on
    > the front end of your Hepcat, but know that others have been there before you.
    >
    > In stock form, The Hepcat in my opinion is one of the sweetest handling SWB recumbents available
    > commercially. Without going into detail, putting a 26" front wheel on it will only screw it up.
    > You will have geometry problems, and perhaps design, and even ergonomic problems too.
    >
    > Going to a large front wheel will simultaneously make the head angle shallower, and increase the
    > trail value thereby changing the feel of the controls by a lot more than you might like. If you
    > can obtain a fork with an unusually large amount of offset you can lessen some of the effect, but
    > I predict that in any event you'll surely be disappointed with the resultant handling. You may
    > also have problems with the cranks overlapping the front wheel. I don't know about you, but for me
    > that is a recipe for a sure accident. Also, what do you think about pedaling around with your feet
    > up in your field of vision? It may also be an issue for you whether or not your blood will
    > struggle to reach your toes?
    >
    > In addition to understanding some of the mathematics and physics involved I've got multiple
    > bikes including one convertible SWB/LWB recumbent with whose geometry I've experimented
    > extensively. I've done this type of thing before - including the sure accident. So I'm not just
    > talking out my butt.
    >
    > Besides - a 26" wheel won't make you go any faster! It will make the ride a bit smoother though if
    > you use an equivalent tire and pressure.
    >
    > Have fun!

  5. Rskeny

    Rskeny Guest

    Ok so ditch the 26" front wheel how about putting a front fork with shock in it to smoth out
    the ride???

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Has anyone tried retro-fitting a 26" front wheel (vs the 20") on a Burley Hepcat? If so, were there
    >any geometry problems? Handling issues? What fork did you go to? Since "Big Wheels Rule" now-a-
    >days, I thought I'd join the fray and make my bent go really fast by adding the big wheel up front
    >;>) Comments?
    >
    >(remove 'despam' for direct reply}
    >
    >Chuck

  6. landon2

    landon2 Guest

    Thanks for all the comments. I'm not going to mess with a good thing. I have installed a Pantour
    suspension hub on the front wheel. It does makes a difference in the ride.

  7. bentbiker <[email protected]> writes:

    > there are many bikes with this conversion, such as v-rex and vision. Post on
    > BROL about it, you'll get some good advice. It will change the handling some,
    > but it won't be that drastic. Biggest thing is the seat height will be quite a
    > bit higher.

    Have you actually ridden one or more of these conversions yourself?