26" inch city tyre recommendations?

Jules

Guest
My Conti sport contacts have worn down to the belts, so I think it's
time for some newies ;-)

I really love the sport contact, but I would like something with just a
little bit of tread on the edges because I do wind up on sandy/gravelly
tracks occasionally.

I'd like a tyre just as narrow (1.3"), that I can run at 70+ PSI.

Does such a tyre exist? Narrow, high pressure - basically just like the
sport contact, but with some tread on the edges.

This would be perfect if I had 700 sized wheels:
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti country ride.shtml

I've ridden this tyre in 700x37, and it's exactly what I'm looking for.
The problem is, while they offer it in 26", it is wider and runs much
lower pressures.

Suggestions?

Jules wrote:

> My Conti sport contacts have worn down to the belts, so I
> think it's time for some newies ;-)
>
> I really love the sport contact, but I would like something
> with just a little bit of tread on the edges because I do wind
> up on sandy/gravelly tracks occasionally.
>
> I'd like a tyre just as narrow (1.3"), that I can run at 70+
> PSI.
>
> Does such a tyre exist? Narrow, high pressure - basically
> just like the sport contact, but with some tread on the edges.
>
> This would be perfect if I had 700 sized wheels:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti country ride.shtml

> I've ridden this tyre in 700x37, and it's exactly what I'm
> looking for.
> The problem is, while they offer it in 26", it is wider and
> runs much lower pressures.
>
> Suggestions?

Conti TravelContacts are readily available, and rated at 85 PSI
in 26 x 1.75 size.

http://tinyurl.com/qt2m9

And a wider tyre has less rolling resistence than a narrow one
at the same pressure: http://tinyurl.com/33auzs

John

"Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> My Conti sport contacts have worn down to the belts, so I think it's time
> for some newies ;-)
>
> I really love the sport contact, but I would like something with just a
> little bit of tread on the edges because I do wind up on sandy/gravelly
> tracks occasionally.
>
> I'd like a tyre just as narrow (1.3"), that I can run at 70+ PSI.
>
> Does such a tyre exist? Narrow, high pressure - basically just like the
> sport contact, but with some tread on the edges.
>
> This would be perfect if I had 700 sized wheels:
> http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti country ride.shtml
>
> I've ridden this tyre in 700x37, and it's exactly what I'm looking for.
> The problem is, while they offer it in 26", it is wider and runs much
> lower pressures.
> Suggestions?

I run a serfas 'drifter' (26x1.5) on the back of my fixie. Lots of rubber
and an inverted tread so it survives lots of skid stops. It has enough
off-road grip to race the westgate dirt crits in A-grade but the handling
gets pretty funny if it's wet. I wouldn't go to fast off road with one on
the front though.
Rated to 65 psi but I've run 80.

I wrote:

> Conti TravelContacts are readily available, and rated at 85
> PSI in 26 x 1.75 size.

I actually prefer Schwalbe Marathons, as I've found them to be
tougher than TravelContacts. I notice that the 26 x 1.50
Marathon is available from Cecil Walker
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category245_1.htm and is rated at
100 PSI http://tinyurl.com/36dvrc

I thought they were only 70 PSI, but I use 26 x 1.95.

They also have a white reflective strip on the sidewall for
improved night visibility.

John

On 2007-05-13, John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I actually prefer Schwalbe Marathons, as I've found them to be
> tougher than TravelContacts. I notice that the 26 x 1.50
> Marathon is available from Cecil Walker
> http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category245_1.htm and is rated at
> 100 PSI http://tinyurl.com/36dvrc

I'll second this, great tyre. Very long lasting, pucture resistant, and
the reflective sidewall is a definate plus for a city tyre.

There is also a Marathon Plus which has an extra layer of pucture
resistance (but I've never punctured through a normal marathon so...)

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
[email protected] | Low cost 2nd hand bikes

On Sun, 13 May 2007 23:07:18 +1000
"Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
> > My Conti sport contacts have worn down to the belts, so I think it's time
> > for some newies ;-)
> >
> > I really love the sport contact, but I would like something with just a
> > little bit of tread on the edges because I do wind up on sandy/gravelly
> > tracks occasionally.
> >
> > I'd like a tyre just as narrow (1.3"), that I can run at 70+ PSI.
> >
> > Does such a tyre exist? Narrow, high pressure - basically just like the
> > sport contact, but with some tread on the edges.
> >
> > This would be perfect if I had 700 sized wheels:
> > http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti country ride.shtml
> >
> > I've ridden this tyre in 700x37, and it's exactly what I'm looking for.
> > The problem is, while they offer it in 26", it is wider and runs much
> > lower pressures.
> > Suggestions?

> I run a serfas 'drifter' (26x1.5) on the back of my fixie. Lots of rubber
> and an inverted tread so it survives lots of skid stops. It has enough
> off-road grip to race the westgate dirt crits in A-grade but the handling
> gets pretty funny if it's wet. I wouldn't go to fast off road with one on
> the front though.
> Rated to 65 psi but I've run 80.

I have used Serfas drifters on a 26" and can attest to their fantasticness.

Did 8000 km on a rear tyre before replacing it due to glass damage

Now using Schwalbe Marathons on a 700cc bike because I couldn't buy the
drifters in 700cc size and equally impressed with the Schwalbes, great tyres for commuting/touring like the Serfas

Owen

Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2007-05-13, John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I actually prefer Schwalbe Marathons, as I've found them to be
> > tougher than TravelContacts. I notice that the 26 x 1.50
> > Marathon is available from Cecil Walker
> > http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category245_1.htm and is rated at
> > 100 PSI http://tinyurl.com/36dvrc
> >

> I'll second this, great tyre. Very long lasting, pucture resistant, and
> the reflective sidewall is a definate plus for a city tyre.
>
> There is also a Marathon Plus which has an extra layer of pucture
> resistance (but I've never punctured through a normal marathon so...)
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

And I 3rd this, i have Marathon 26*1.5 inch which i run at 100 PSI. they
are ok on park paths or tow paths ie if the bit of off roading is stuff
like Richmound park and such then no problems. on road they seem to zip
along okay i have nothing to compare as the bike is a retired mountain
bike as you where.

roger

roger