26" Tandem Wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bike Camano, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Bike Camano

    Bike Camano Guest

    I'm building a set of Wheels for our new Tandem. The only thing I've absolutely decided on is that
    the rear hub will be a Phil Wood hub. I'm leaning toward going with 36 spokes front and back. Our
    first 26" wheeled tandem had 36 spoked wheels (Sun Chinook rims) and we didn't have any problems
    with rims or spokes even with a few off road treks. I like that most bike shops will have a 36 hole
    rim in stock should I need one when I'm out of town.

    My next question is about spokes. I see that Wheelsmith has a 13g double butted spoke. Will those
    work with a Phil hub and would it make sense to use them?

    Rims I'm leaning toward Sun Rhyno Lites for there wide spread availability and good reputation. I
    don't like the way they look ... and I'm concerned about using a tire as narrow as 1.25 on them.

    I like the looks of the Velocity and noticed they are spec'd on a lot of tandems. The LBS I ordered
    my Tandem frame from has them on their own personal tandem but has had a failure with them and was
    less than enthusiastic about them. Other than that, I've heard good things.

    The Bontrager "Clyde" Rim claims to be a Tandem rim. It's eyeleted and 2.5mm narrower than the Sun
    RL rim. It's slightly nicer and more expensive too.

    I have a never been built XTR 36h front hub. Would that be a good candidate for the front wheel? I
    can't imagine it would be worse or less durable than our old Suzue tandem hubs.

    Thanks for your insights! Maurice "Mo" Miller Camano Island, WA

    Tags:

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Bike Camano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm building a set of Wheels for our new Tandem. The only thing I've absolutely decided on is that
    > the rear hub will be a Phil Wood hub. I'm leaning toward going with 36 spokes front and back. Our
    > first 26" wheeled tandem had 36 spoked wheels (Sun Chinook rims) and we didn't have any
    problems
    > with rims or spokes even with a few off road treks. I like that most bike shops will have a 36
    > hole rim in stock should I need one when I'm out of
    town.

    > My next question is about spokes. I see that Wheelsmith has a 13g double butted spoke. Will those
    > work with a Phil hub and would it make sense to
    use
    > them?
    >
    > Rims I'm leaning toward Sun Rhyno Lites for there wide spread availability
    and
    > good reputation. I don't like the way they look ... and I'm concerned
    about
    > using a tire as narrow as 1.25 on them.
    >
    > I like the looks of the Velocity and noticed they are spec'd on a lot of tandems. The LBS I
    > ordered my Tandem frame from has them on their own
    personal
    > tandem but has had a failure with them and was less than enthusiastic
    about
    > them. Other than that, I've heard good things.
    >
    > The Bontrager "Clyde" Rim claims to be a Tandem rim. It's eyeleted and
    2.5mm
    > narrower than the Sun RL rim. It's slightly nicer and more expensive too.
    >
    > I have a never been built XTR 36h front hub. Would that be a good
    candidate
    > for the front wheel? I can't imagine it would be worse or less durable
    than
    > our old Suzue tandem hubs.
    >
    > Thanks for your insights! Maurice "Mo" Miller Camano Island, WA

    I used the Wheelsmith 13g double butted with Phil Wood hubs on our 26" wheeled tandem. They work
    well. I use 40 hole Velocity Deep V rims. They are working well. However, spoke alignment took extra
    time and effort during the build process, due to the lack of eyelets. The wheels stayed true and no
    maintenance has been required for 3,000 miles. I would go for a Phil Wood or other tandem duty hub
    (Shimano) for the front as well. I have had very good results with Bontrager Fairlane rims in 36
    hole for touring and 48 hole for tandeming. They are 700C. I have also used DT Alpine III spokes for
    heavy duty applications with great success. They are 13 g at the hub end, 15 g mid span, and 14 g at
    the nipple. I would use them over the Wheelsmith, except they don't come in the shorter size range
    that I required in the Velocity Deep V 26" build on Phil Wood hubs. Those are my insights. David
    Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    We've been using the same set of 36 spoke 26" wheels on our touring tandem since 1988. The rims have
    been replaced once due to sidewall wear from brakes, but they've remained perfectly true and no
    spokes have broken (the new rims were laced to the original spokes). The hubs are Bullseye and the
    spokes 14g stainless. The original rims were Mavic Rando M5 and the current rims Araya RM-20. Rear
    spacing 140mm.

    We also have a newer S&S touring tandem that uses 32 spoke 26" wheels (forced by the choice of a
    Rohloff rear hub), and those wheels have been completely reliable as well. Front and rear rims are
    Velocity Mtn Goat, 14g spokes, rear hub is Rohloff, front hub is Hugi.

    Nick