27.2 seatpost in a 27.4 ti seat tube

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lawrence Kriese, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. I have broken my seatpost and can only find a 27.2 post (noone seems to make odd size posts
    anymore). I need to either shim the post or put up with the difference. Who makes shims for posts or
    what will make a nice looking shim? Does it matter? Thanks in advance.

    Lawrence Kriese

    -please e-mail me as well as posting since I rarely get to the computer

    Tags:

  2. "Lawrence Kriese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have broken my seatpost and can only find a 27.2 post (noone seems to make odd size posts
    > anymore).

    American Classic does.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  3. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    > have broken my seatpost and can only find a 27.2 post (noone seems to make odd size posts
    > anymore).

    Pretty common. If you don't want to order one (Thompson, American Classic, many others) at your LBS
    find a Waterford dealer-many of their frames use 27.4 posts. Phil Brown

  4. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

  5. [email protected] (Lawrence Kriese) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have broken my seatpost and can only find a 27.2 post (noone seems to make odd size posts
    > anymore). I need to either shim the post or put up with the difference. Who makes shims for posts
    > or what will make a nice looking shim? Does it matter? Thanks in advance.

    USE make a wide variety of shims, since their policy seems to be to make only one diameter of post
    and provide appropriate shims to keep all buyers happy.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  6. ikreise-<< I have broken my seatpost and can only find a 27.2 post (noone seems to make odd size
    posts anymore).

    It does matter and Thompson, American Classic and others make a 27.4mm seatpost

  7. In article <[email protected]>, David E. Belcher
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >[email protected] (Lawrence Kriese) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I have broken my seatpost and can only find a 27.2 post (noone seems to make odd size posts
    >> anymore). I need to either shim the post or put up with the difference. Who makes shims for posts
    >> or what will make a nice looking shim? Does it matter? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >USE make a wide variety of shims, since their policy seems to be to make only one diameter of post
    >and provide appropriate shims to keep all buyers happy.

    A .1mm shim? Impressive.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:40:37 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:
    >
    >>A .1mm shim? Impressive.
    >
    >People make metal foil measured in microns to a reasonable degree of accuracy. What's impressive is
    >handling the thing so it doesn't collapse during installation.

    That's the rub isn't it? The foil will not fare well when rammed down the seat tube.

    >(and, I like the idea of using plastic film -- mylar -- for these sorts of thicknesses)

    Perhaps either film or foil could be adhered to the seat post to prevent tearing it.

    --Paul

  9. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Bald Headed John Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:34:11 -0700, Lawrence Kriese wrote:
    >
    > In a pinch I have used shims cut from aluminum soft drink cans....

    I've used coke cans before. It didn't last very long before the metal wore thin and the seatpost
    came loose.

    Kenny Lee

  10. On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Paul Southworth wrote:
    > A .1mm shim? Impressive.

    ... and about impossible to install. Polish the post stem down to a bit
    smaller diameter and use a conveniently thicker shim.

    Sergio Pisa

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >I have broken my seatpost and can only find a 27.2 post (noone seems to make odd size posts
    >anymore). I need to either shim the post or put up with the difference. Who makes shims for posts
    >or what will make a nice looking shim? Does it matter? Thanks in advance.

    I use a 27.0 Al post in a 27.2 Al tube with an Al beverage can as a shim. The shim's length
    determines the snugness. I need go about 95% around the circumference to get the proper snugness,
    which is good anyway since it gives a uniform bearing surface. I've been riding this a long time
    (1000's of miles) with no problems, either slippage or removal.

    I don't understand why the shim would wear thin as another poster mentioned, since there is no
    movement to cause wear. What am I missing? Even if, who cares really. A 27.2 post is a long term
    investment, a 27.4 who knows. Beverage can shims are free and take all of 2 minutes to cut and fit.
    A proactive replacement schedule should satisfy if needed.

    Doug

  12. >I don't understand why the shim would wear thin as another poster mentioned, since there is no
    >movement to cause wear. What am I missing? Even if, who cares really. A 27.2 post is a long term
    >investment, a 27.4 who knows. Beverage can shims are free and take all of 2 minutes to cut and fit.
    >A proactive replacement schedule should satisfy if needed.

    Also, the failure mode is distinctly non-fatal -- seatpost sliding down a bit, or even completely,
    is not that big a deal.

    Jasper