27" Fixed Gear Single Speed Wheel

IBOPM

Jul 7, 2005
I bought an old garage sale road bike with 27" x 1 1/4" wheels. I'm in the process of converting it to a fixed gear single speed. I'm on a really tight budget, and I'm trying to put in as little money as possible. The question I have is how will I get fixed gear single speed wheel in 27"? Do people still build them? How much will it cost me? Anyone know any good places in Toronto?

Thanks

IBOPM said:
I bought an old garage sale road bike with 27" x 1 1/4" wheels. I'm in the process of converting it to a fixed gear single speed. I'm on a really tight budget, and I'm trying to put in as little money as possible. The question I have is how will I get fixed gear single speed wheel in 27"? Do people still build them? How much will it cost me? Anyone know any good places in Toronto?

Thanks

Any single speed hub can be built with a 27-inch rim. You could also just use a 700c wheel. They are close enough that you probably would not notice the difference, and since you are making a fixed gear, any effect that the smaller 700C would have on brake shoe alignment won't matter.

John M said:
Any single speed hub can be built with a 27-inch rim. You could also just use a 700c wheel. They are close enough that you probably would not notice the difference, and since you are making a fixed gear, any effect that the smaller 700C would have on brake shoe alignment won't matter.

Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting someone to build one for you, but to go REALLY cheap you can just use the wheel you've got since it's likely got freewheel threads - remove the freewheel, put on a track cog with some Locktite and maybe a lock ring if it'll fit and voila! fixed gear rear wheel.

Thanks for the replies.

DiabloScott said:
Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting someone to build one for you, but to go REALLY cheap you can just use the wheel you've got since it's likely got freewheel threads - remove the freewheel, put on a track cog with some Locktite and maybe a lock ring if it'll fit and voila! fixed gear rear wheel.

Wow, that sounds VERY complicated. Any detailed instructions on how to do that?

What do you guys think of mixing a 27 in the front and a 700 in the back?

IBOPM said:
Thanks for the replies.

Wow, that sounds VERY complicated. Any detailed instructions on how to do that?

What do you guys think of mixing a 27 in the front and a 700 in the back?

Mixing wheel sizes wouldn't be that big of a deal. The wheel sizes are quite close to start with.

The fixed cog/lockring on the freewheel threads is not complicated at all. A good bike shop should be able to help you. Call on the phone and ask if they do singlespeeds. One potential problem might be getting a good chain line, but again the shop should be able to help you. Going this way could be really cheap.

John M said:
Mixing wheel sizes wouldn't be that big of a deal. The wheel sizes are quite close to start with.

The fixed cog/lockring on the freewheel threads is not complicated at all. A good bike shop should be able to help you. Call on the phone and ask if they do singlespeeds. One potential problem might be getting a good chain line, but again the shop should be able to help you. Going this way could be really cheap.

When you take off the freewheel, there will be about a 1/2" wide threaded section on the hub - the track cog screws on instead of a freewheel and the lockring goes on the outside of that. Check out http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html for instructions and costs. Cheap and easy.