27 inch tyres for a 1988 road bike.

Patrick Turner

Guest
I gave up riding about 12 years ago after a 6 year stint with the
Canberra Cycling club.

I kept my road race bikes and training bikes, and now wish to ride
again just to get a little exercise.

When i went to a local shop after 12 years being out of it, the design
of road race bikes was radically
different and all alum or carbon frames, and not a 531 steel frame
anywhere
and all the bits and peices and group sets have changed.
All the wheels seem to have become 700C, and I was told the
new size of road wheels and tyres won't fit the old frames and brakes.
I used to use 27" tyres, size 23 clinchers which fitted the frame space
ok.

Rather than take the 3 bikes I have to the metal re-cyclers, or spend a
grand + on a new bike I'd like to ride a few k more on the old ones
which are in good condition
apart from the tyres.

Who in the ACT stocks any 27" slim section profile tyres?

BTW, Hi to anyone who rode during 1986 to 1992 in CCC in the vets
division.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner wrote:

> Who in the ACT stocks any 27" slim section profile tyres?

27" tried Kmart, etc.
Other specs, no idea.

Not sure how relevant this is to Australia, but found this on
bikeforums.net. It lists a few brands that have 27" tyres (sorry, tires!).

URL http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-54825

Specialize carries a couple of different size 27 tires: the Tri Sport is a
inexpensive 27" road tire at about $10; the All Condition Armadillo Tire is
their best 27" road tire and includes the famous Armadillo flat protection
for $30. The Specialize tire is a far better tire than the Performance
label. Continental Ultra Gatorskin also comes in a 27" for about $35;
Panaracer Pasela Tg Road Tire makes 1/4 and 1/8 size 27's for about $20;
Vittoria Zafirro about $18; IRC Triathalon Duro about $17; and so on. There
are plenty of 27's still being made just take your pick. Nashbar sells all
the tires I mentioned except for the Specialize, either order the Specialize
from your LBS or go here:
http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?minisite=10080&spid=5632&xsrc=1063
Click on tires then road and look for the models I mentioned.

Bruce A

In terms of helpfulness in ACT bike shops I have found that the
Lonsdale St Cyclery and RideShop (both in Braddon) are excellent.

Further afield, Hammer N Cycle in Queanbeyan is awesome.

Cheers,
Rob

RobWoozle wrote:

> In terms of helpfulness in ACT bike shops I have found that the
> Lonsdale St Cyclery and RideShop (both in Braddon) are excellent.
>
> Further afield, Hammer N Cycle in Queanbeyan is awesome.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

Thanks for the responses. I will phone the relevant shops tomorrow.
At a Belconnen store they only had 27" x 1.25" which wouldn't fit my
frame clearances.

Maybe I get lucky and I can get a couple....

Then i suppose I will discover all the hills have become steeper, and
the headwinds
have speeded up, and cold weather cooler, and that my blood is thicker.

But If I rode 20k a week it would stave off the rot of getting old too
soon
without wrecking myself.
I used to be a builder, and i must have raced and trained fpr 100,000
Kms back
in my heyday, and the whole life effort made my knees very sore.
But I had an operation to trim the cartlidges 14 mths ago and i have
slowly
got better, and postponed the operation for a pair of titanium knees
twice now.
I think eating mussels from NZ helps.

So I could say I will never have an urge to win again, but if I can
ride around the mountain gracefully, and take in the views, smell the
bush,
I will still experience the mountain without busting everything to ride
straight up and over it over it, see nothing, and to be a damn winner.
I might now use all the low gears I never used before.

Patrick Turner..

Patrick Turner wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. I will phone the relevant shops tomorrow.
> At a Belconnen store they only had 27" x 1.25" which wouldn't fit my
> frame clearances.

Just how much clearance do you have? 1.25" is 32mm.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Patrick Turner wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the responses. I will phone the relevant shops tomorrow.
> > At a Belconnen store they only had 27" x 1.25" which wouldn't fit my
> > frame clearances.

> Just how much clearance do you have? 1.25" is 32mm.

The tyres I used to use were 23 mm.
Not much clearance with 32mm.
I'd like to get no more than 25mm.

Patrick Turner.