27" tires at Walmart any good?

My girlfriend has an older schwinn bike with 27" rims.

She needs tires bad. Are the tires sold at Walmart in
27" size any good? Tubes as well?

Or should I convince her to get some name brand tires
at tubes elsewhere?

On May 5, 10:49 am, [email protected] wrote:
> My girlfriend has an older schwinn bike with 27" rims.
>
> She needs tires bad. Are the tires sold at Walmart in
> 27" size any good? Tubes as well?
>
> Or should I convince her to get some name brand tires
> at tubes elsewhere?

Tubes are tubes, usually. The 27" tires a *mart are usually terrible--
though I found some pretty nice 26x 1 3/8" 3spd tires with microprism
reflectors on them once.

Nashbar's got the Pasela 27x 1 1/4" for 13 bucks--a far better tire
for the same price as what you'd pay at Walmart, even with 2nd day
shipping.
http://tinyurl.com/5chk5l

The Performance GT2 House brand with Kevlar is pretty nice riding for
$12, also in a good 1 1/4":
http://tinyurl.com/33amkn

Alternately, check your local bike shop--just get something with a
smooth tread,and a supple sidewall--not cheap stiff sidewalls that's
gonna ride like a plank.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> The Performance GT2 House brand with Kevlar is pretty nice riding for
> $12, also in a good 1 1/4":
> http://tinyurl.com/33amkn

I tried the Performance GT2s. Horrible tire. They were so out of round I had
to take 'em off the wheels.

On May 5, 11:59 am, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > The Performance GT2 House brand with Kevlar is pretty nice riding for
> > $12, also in a good 1 1/4":
> >http://tinyurl.com/33amkn

> I tried the Performance GT2s. Horrible tire. They were so out of round I had
> to take 'em off the wheels.

Performance and Nashbar contract their tires out to the big Taiwanese
tire houses like everybody else. I've had no worse quality experience
from them for basic all round tires--no doubt there can be a bad batch
from any one from time to time. I've had name brand tires from WTB and
Continental that had faulty rubber compound that rendered them
unusable, unless you planned on fixing multiple flats per day. Luck of
the draw.

>> > The Performance GT2 House brand with Kevlar is pretty nice riding for
>> > $12, also in a good 1 1/4":
>> >http://tinyurl.com/33amkn

>> I tried the Performance GT2s. Horrible tire. They were so out of round I
>> had
>> to take 'em off the wheels.

> Performance and Nashbar contract their tires out to the big Taiwanese
> tire houses like everybody else. I've had no worse quality experience
> from them for basic all round tires--no doubt there can be a bad batch
> from any one from time to time. I've had name brand tires from WTB and
> Continental that had faulty rubber compound that rendered them
> unusable, unless you planned on fixing multiple flats per day. Luck of
> the draw.

These rode like they were made in the cannabis growing regoin of Jamaica.

On May 5, 10:08 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 5, 11:59 am, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > The Performance GT2 House brand with Kevlar is pretty nice riding for
> > > $12, also in a good 1 1/4":
> > >http://tinyurl.com/33amkn

> > I tried the Performance GT2s. Horrible tire. They were so out of round Ihad
> > to take 'em off the wheels.

> Performance and Nashbar contract their tires out to the big Taiwanese
> tire houses like everybody else. I've had no worse quality experience
> from them for basic all round tires--no doubt there can be a bad batch
> from any one from time to time. I've had name brand tires from WTB and
> Continental that had faulty rubber compound that rendered them
> unusable, unless you planned on fixing multiple flats per day. Luck of
> the draw.

All the more reason to go with the Paselas - still made by National in
Japan. A better 27" tire you will not find.

landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> The 27" tires a *mart are usually terrible--

She went and bought one and it is HELL to get on the
rim .... like its really NOT 27"!!

could it be so cheap that its size is not true 27"??

She took everything back to Walmart and got her money
back.... and is going to local bike shop to buy tires
and tubes there

I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
are really NOT 27" true size!!

On May 5, 11:18 am, [email protected] wrote:
> landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The 27" tires a *mart are usually terrible--

> She went and bought one and it is HELL to get on the
> rim .... like its really NOT 27"!!
>
> could it be so cheap that its size is not true 27"??
>
> She took everything back to Walmart and got her money
> back.... and is going to local bike shop to buy tires
> and tubes there
>
> I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
> are really NOT 27" true size!!

Maybe they're calling 700c stuff (622mm BSD) 27"?

True 27" is 630mm BSD.

[email protected] wrote:
> landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The 27" tires a *mart are usually terrible--

> She went and bought one and it is HELL to get on the
> rim .... like its really NOT 27"!!
>
> could it be so cheap that its size is not true 27"??
>
> She took everything back to Walmart and got her money
> back.... and is going to local bike shop to buy tires
> and tubes there
>
> I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
> are really NOT 27" true size!!

Highly unlikely.

Tire molds are expensive. Slipping a custom label into a mold is cheap,
which is why it is popular. So while various tires from the same mold
may bear different 'brands' they will be the same size.

I wasn't there, but your description seems more like a mounting problem
than a tire sizing issue. Look for double rim liners, wrong rim liner,
misplaced rim liner, tube not inflated to a round cross section before
mounting, trying to mount both sides at once, etc. The directions on or
in the tube box may be helpful as this section of our FAQ:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.2.html

Lastly, try a mist of spray wax on the rim before mounting. It not only
helps to get a tight tire on a rim, it greatly assists in getting the
tire bead evenly positioned.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

[email protected] writes:

> She went and bought one and it is HELL to get on the
> rim .... like its really NOT 27"!!

One possibility is that the rim is 635 mm ERD (one of the sizes also
known as 28") rather than 630 mm (27") and the old tyre was the wrong
size, especially if removing it took considerable effort as well.
Fairly easy to measure and know for sure...

On May 5, 2:00 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> The 27" tires a *mart are usually terrible--

> > She went and bought one and it is HELL to get on the
> > rim .... like its really NOT 27"!!

> > could it be so cheap that its size is not true 27"??

> > She took everything back to Walmart and got her money
> > back.... and is going to local bike shop to buy tires
> > and tubes there

> > I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
> > are really NOT 27" true size!!

> Highly unlikely.
>
> Tire molds are expensive. Slipping a custom label into a mold is cheap,
> which is why it is popular. So while various tires from the same mold
> may bear different 'brands' they will be the same size.
>
> I wasn't there, but your description seems more like a mounting problem
> than a tire sizing issue. Look for double rim liners, wrong rim liner,
> misplaced rim liner, tube not inflated to a round cross section before
> mounting, trying to mount both sides at once, etc. The directions on or
> in the tube box may be helpful as this section of our FAQ:http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.2.html
>
> Lastly, try a mist of spray wax on the rim before mounting. It not only
> helps to get a tight tire on a rim, it greatly assists in getting the
> tire bead evenly positioned.
> --

Firstly, return the tire. Heh. Problem with most of the *mart 27"
tires is that they're THICK gumwall, so that they spring apart on the
rim making them near impossible to mount. I've picked a pair up for a
real junker at $5 a pop--but life's too short to spend an hour trying
to fit a tire to a rim. I hardly ever use tools to mount normal
quality tires, FWIW, just the heel of my hand or my thumbs.

To add insult to injury--once you get those damn things mounted,
they'll ride and corner miserably. Blech.

Hank <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
>> are really NOT 27" true size!!

>Maybe they're calling 700c stuff (622mm BSD) 27"?
>
>True 27" is 630mm BSD.

Hmm...could be altho it does say 27 x 1.25" on the
Walmart box

Something is fishy thou as it broke my tire tool trying
to put it on the rim. And yes the rims DO say 27 x
1.25" on them as well so its not the rim.

On May 5, 4:05 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I'm just curious if its possible that Walmart 27" tires
> >> are really NOT 27" true size!!

> >Maybe they're calling 700c stuff (622mm BSD) 27"?

> >True 27" is 630mm BSD.

> Hmm...could be altho it does say 27 x 1.25" on the
> Walmart box
>
> Something is fishy thou as it broke my tire tool trying
> to put it on the rim. And yes the rims DO say 27 x
> 1.25" on them as well so its not the rim.

27" is 27" is 27"

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

>Lastly, try a mist of spray wax on the rim before mounting. It not only
>helps to get a tight tire on a rim, it greatly assists in getting the
>tire bead evenly positioned.

You mean like Pledge or something?

if yes... great idea!

landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

>Firstly, return the tire. Heh. Problem with most of the *mart 27"
>tires is that they're THICK gumwall, so that they spring apart on the
>rim making them near impossible to mount. I've picked a pair up for a
>real junker at $5 a pop--but life's too short to spend an hour trying
>to fit a tire to a rim. I hardly ever use tools to mount normal
>quality tires, FWIW, just the heel of my hand or my thumbs.
>
>To add insult to injury--once you get those damn things mounted,
>they'll ride and corner miserably. Blech.

yep she took everything back to Wally world and got her
money back

[email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:

>One possibility is that the rim is 635 mm ERD (one of the sizes also
>known as 28") rather than 630 mm (27") and the old tyre was the wrong
>size, especially if removing it took considerable effort as well.
>Fairly easy to measure and know for sure...

well it clearly says 27" ON the rim.... but will
measure it to see

[email protected] wrote:
> Hmm...could be altho it does say 27 x 1.25" on the
> Walmart box
> Something is fishy thou as it broke my tire tool trying
> to put it on the rim. And yes the rims DO say 27 x
> 1.25" on them as well so its not the rim.

er, that's 27x1-1/4, K2 series

In the future. observing the actual nomenclature will keep you from
other errors. In bicycle rims/tires, decimals and fractions denote
different series of rims with different diameters.
26x1.5 is not at all like 26x1-1/2, 26x1.75 is not 26x1-3/4, etc.
--

[email protected] wrote:
> You mean like Pledge or something?
> if yes... great idea!

Car shops use soapy water on a brush. Pledge is less messy
--

Hank wrote:

> All the more reason to go with the Paselas - still made by National in
> Japan. A better 27" tire you will not find.

I've got to report in. I just received a pair of Paselas from Nashbar
(thanks for the heads up landotter). I've used Paselas for years,
usually in the 28mm size. This time I decided to go fat for my fixed
gear as I typically ride it on the bike path around the Charles river
this time of year and the pavement is kind of crappy.

I got a pair of 35mm. They measure exactly 35mm, both on a skinny rim
(Open Pro) and a wider rim (CR-18). They mounted easily, and rolled
well. I pumped them up pretty hard (80-90). I may try running them a
little softer. Same nice tire that they've always been.