27" Wheels - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff Starr, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    Hi, I hava a mid '70s French 10/now 12-speed, that I really love and have been upgrading. I'd like
    to replace the wheelsets[Samir Saminox rims, Normandy hubs] with something superior. I know my
    choices are limited and my knowledge is even more so. The options, so far, are the wheelset offered
    by Harris, there is pair in the Nashbar catalog, and various choices on Ebay. So what do you guys
    recommend? Should I buy new or possibly put a WTB ad out for good used? I don't think my budget will
    allow custom building. I'd like to keep it under $200 new and closer to $100 for used, but that may
    be flexible. I would think that there has got to be some really nice high end wheelsets, just
    sitting around and that they shouldn't be worth all that much. A long time rider might have a set or
    two, just collecting dust. They must be for clincher and obviously they must fit on my bike;-) Any
    help, suggestions, brands to look for, brands to avoid, will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jeff

    Tags:

  2. >Hi, I hava a mid '70s French 10/now 12-speed, that I really love and have been upgrading.

    Jeff,

    I think it depends on the overall quality level of your bike.

    I have an old 70's bike too, a Raleigh Super Course, but it's not the greatest. I decided to splurge
    on a specially-built rear with high-end Suntour hub and Mavic MA-2 rim. I have had to replace the
    rim once and the axle once, and by the time I paid for all that, I began to wonder if a cheaper,
    factory wheel would have been the way to go. I mean, considering the overall bike quality.

    Yes, choices are getting limited, and Harris may be your best bet. Or you could try asking on the
    Classic Rendezvous list (via cyclesdeoro.com, I believe).

    And maybe someone else will have some good suggestions.

    Joe

  3. Marcus Coles

    Marcus Coles Guest

    Jeff Starr wrote:
    > Hi, I hava a mid '70s French 10/now 12-speed, that I really love and have been upgrading. I'd like
    > to replace the wheelsets[Samir Saminox rims, Normandy hubs] with something superior. I know my
    > choices are limited and my knowledge is even more so. The options, so far, are the wheelset
    > offered by Harris, there is pair in the Nashbar catalog, and various choices on Ebay. So what do
    > you guys recommend? Should I buy new or possibly put a WTB ad out for good used? I don't think my
    > budget will allow custom building. I'd like to keep it under $200 new and closer to $100 for used,
    > but that may be flexible. I would think that there has got to be some really nice high end
    > wheelsets, just sitting around and that they shouldn't be worth all that much. A long time rider
    > might have a set or two, just collecting dust. They must be for clincher and obviously they must
    > fit on my bike;-) Any help, suggestions, brands to look for, brands to avoid, will be greatly
    > appreciated. Thank you, Jeff

    For many more choices in tires and wheels, you might consider converting to the 700c wheel size.
    These wheels are marginally smaller, 8mm difference in diameter. If your brake blocks will drop 1/4"
    in the slots it should work fine.

    I have made this simple conversion successfully on a couple of my older bikes.

    If you buy a catalog, machine made, wheelset it is always good practice to check the spoke tensions
    and stress relieve them before use.

    HTH

    Marcus

  4. Hi, Jeff, unless you _insist_ on 27" wheels, you should be able to find good, used, affordable,
    700C wheels that will fit your bike and with 700C wheels there is an infintely greater
    selection of tires.

    I have done this modification several times in the past and generally there was enough adjustment in
    the brakes shoes that I didn't have to make any structural changes to the bike.

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, I hava a mid '70s French 10/now 12-speed, that I really love and have been upgrading. I'd like
    > to replace the wheelsets[Samir Saminox rims, Normandy hubs] with something superior. I know my
    > choices are limited and my knowledge is even more so. The options, so far, are the wheelset
    > offered by Harris, there is pair in the Nashbar catalog, and various choices on Ebay. So what do
    > you guys recommend? Should I buy new or possibly put a WTB ad out for good used? I don't think my
    > budget will allow custom building. I'd like to keep it under $200 new and closer to $100 for used,
    > but that may be flexible. I would think that there has got to be some really nice high end
    > wheelsets, just sitting around and that they shouldn't be worth all that much. A long time rider
    > might have a set or two, just collecting dust. They must be for clincher and obviously they must
    > fit on my bike;-) Any help, suggestions, brands to look for, brands to avoid, will be greatly
    > appreciated. Thank you, Jeff

  5. bball

    bball Guest

    On 12 Jun 2003 08:02:19 -0700, [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote:

    >Hi, I hava a mid '70s French 10/now 12-speed, that I really love and have been upgrading. I'd like
    >to replace the wheelsets[Samir Saminox rims, Normandy hubs] with something superior. I know my
    >choices are limited and my knowledge is even more so. The options, so far, are the wheelset offered
    >by Harris, there is pair in the Nashbar catalog, and various choices on Ebay. So what do you guys
    >recommend? Should I buy new or possibly put a WTB ad out for good used? I don't think my budget
    >will allow custom building. I'd like to keep it under $200 new and closer to $100 for used, but
    >that may be flexible. I would think that there has got to be some really nice high end wheelsets,
    >just sitting around and that they shouldn't be worth all that much. A long time rider might have a
    >set or two, just collecting dust. They must be for clincher and obviously they must fit on my
    >bike;-) Any help, suggestions, brands to look for, brands to avoid, will be greatly appreciated.
    >Thank you, Jeff

    I have a couple of 27" wheeled bikes that I picked up last year, nice old 26lb bikes, and put 3600,
    2900 mi on them last year. I bought plain-Jane Weinman 215s and have been content with them after
    truing and stress relieving. I find they hold up quite well -- and a back wheel retrued nicely after
    sucking a derailleur into it. You may be able to find these even from an LBS old stock, at less than
    mail order prices, e.g. I found a back wheel for $40, and earlier bought a $100 set. Lightweight,
    good braking surface, no eyelets, straight guage spokes, 36h.

    I use inexpensive Conti Sport 1000s for the front, 1-1/8 (28mm), and some bargain Vittoria Pheonix
    2s for the rear, 1-1/4 (32mm), rated 120psi. There's still a lot of 27" tires out there.

    Also, there are available (mail order) some bargain steel (Chinese) Falcon 14-28 6-freewheels, which
    I think will last forever with proper chain maintainence, but weigh 1-1/4 lbs, cost $7.16. A Park
    FR-7 will remove them.

    You might convert to 700c wheels as others have suggested and that should be fine and even
    practical. But to me, there's a world of difference on a bike with 27", 700c even though they're
    close in measurement. I ride both and more 700c.

    I'll take a guess that your bike has a touring geometry with long chainstays, and is steel. If so,
    you might try my tire sizes, 27" wheels, a Brooks B-17 or Champion Flyer, and enjoy a very plush
    ride all day long, day after day. Put lotsa grease into the wheel bearings. If nothing else (and
    gasps), pour 4oz or so of gear oil down the seat tube, then stand the bike up on the nose to drench
    the BB and headset bearings.

    (I've talked myself into taking my Schwinn Passage for a nice afternoon cruise!)

    Best wishes with your bike,

    Bruce Ball

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I hava a mid '70s French 10/now 12-speed, that I really love and have been upgrading. I'd like
    > to replace the wheelsets[Samir Saminox rims, Normandy hubs] with something superior. I know my
    > choices are limited and my knowledge is even more so. The options, so far, are the wheelset
    > offered by Harris, there is pair in the Nashbar catalog, and various choices on Ebay. So what do
    > you guys recommend? Should I buy new or possibly put a WTB ad out for good used? I don't think my
    > budget will allow custom building. I'd like to keep it under $200 new and closer to $100 for used,
    > but that may be flexible. I would think that there has got to be some really nice high end
    > wheelsets, just sitting around and that they shouldn't be worth all that much. A long time rider
    > might have a set or two, just collecting dust. They must be for clincher and obviously they must
    > fit on my bike;-) Any help, suggestions, brands to look for, brands to avoid, will be greatly
    > appreciated. Thank you, Jeff

    Your Samir Saminox rims are chrome plated steel. (Even among steel wheels those are not
    exceptional). The wrinkle, though, is the size - 27x1-1/4". The selection is limited compared to the
    more-popular 700C.

    If you buy basic aluminum wheels ( usually $40 each) you can move your skewers and rubber but not
    the freewheel if it is the original French thread. A new 6x freewheel is cheap ( $20) but may
    entail a chain as well. Regarding the wheels, most competent LBS will fill the hubs, adjust them
    and do a cursory tension of the spokes. You should fully tension and stress-relieve the spokes or
    have that done.

    It's hard to get excited about pricey 27" wheels for that sort of bike. Basic aluminum wheels will
    be a dramatic improvement.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi, I hava a mid '70s French 10/now 12-speed, that I really love and have been upgrading. I'd
    > > like to replace the wheelsets[Samir Saminox rims, Normandy hubs] with something superior. I know
    > > my choices are limited and my knowledge is even more so. The options, so far, are the wheelset
    > > offered by Harris, there is pair in the Nashbar catalog, and various choices on Ebay. So what do
    > > you guys recommend? Should I buy new or possibly put a WTB ad out for good used? I don't think
    > > my budget will allow custom building. I'd like to keep it under $200 new and closer to $100 for
    > > used, but that may be flexible. I would think that there has got to be some really nice high end
    > > wheelsets, just sitting around and that they shouldn't be worth all that much. A long time rider
    > > might have a set or two, just collecting dust. They must be for clincher and obviously they must
    > > fit on my bike;-) Any help, suggestions, brands to look for, brands to avoid, will be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, Jeff, unless you _insist_ on 27" wheels, you should be able to find good, used, affordable,
    > 700C wheels that will fit your bike and with 700C wheels there is an infintely greater selection
    > of tires.
    >
    > I have done this modification several times in the past and generally there was enough adjustment
    > in the brakes shoes that I didn't have to make any structural changes to the bike.

    I was puzzled by that suggestion offered here by others too. Standard replacement 27-inch aluminum
    wheels are produced in such huge quantities that they still cost $5 less each wholesale than the
    cheapest comparable 700C wheel. (with the same spokes and hub built in the same house) My supplier
    confirms that 27" outsells 700C by a factor of four. Moreover the OP gets to reuse the rubber which
    saves some money.

    That's why I suggested $39.95 27" replacement wheels

  8. Tallapaull

    Tallapaull Guest

    GO FOR THE 27" IF YOU CAN. THE 700'S IS, WAS, THE EUROPEANS WAY OF SCREWING THE AMERICANS
    AGAIN. OHIO