27"x 1 1/4" tyres

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nicoll, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Nicoll

    Nicoll Guest

    I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are Michelin and from the
    memory they were called international or continental. The are yellow/brown side wall with black
    tread, the tread pattern was continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and
    not zig zags.

    Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere? What is the most suitable tyre
    for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no panniers)? Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes
    on line or by mail order?

    Thanks Ian

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    nicoll wrote:
    > I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are Michelin and from the
    > memory they were called international or continental. The are yellow/brown side wall with black
    > tread, the tread pattern was continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and
    > not zig zags.

    Don't think I know that model, sorry.

    > Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?

    Unfortunately not. Very few models are still being made, it's mainly a question of finding what old
    stock dealers and shops have left.

    > What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no panniers)?

    I used to use the Hutchinson Kevlar 27x1/14" for the same sort of rides but I'm not sure if it's
    still avaialble. Most of the ones from the suppliers mentioned below would probably do. Michelin
    World Tour gets recommended sometimes but I've never been too impressed with it myself. The casing
    or rubber isn't very tough yet it's not light or fast either - best of no worlds, IMO. It is cheap,
    though, and might be ok for your rides. Schwalbe Marathon has a v good reputation.

    > Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by mail order?

    27" tyres: local bike shop http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm (£5 postage on sub £50 orders)
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/wheels.htm http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/ (£10 min order
    for free post)

    Tubes: http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp (free post) www.ebay.co.uk
    http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/

    note. 700c tubes will fit 27" tyres (though 700c tyres will not fit 27" rims).

    ~PB

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:21:14 +0000 (UTC), "nicoll" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are Michelin and from the
    >memory they were called international or continental.

    You may be confusing makes. Continental is also a tyre manufacturer. I'm not aware of a Michelin
    Continental or a Michelin International. That's not to say they don't exist of course.

    >The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread pattern was continuous lines which went
    >round the circumference of the tyre and not zig zags.

    For riding on the road, even when it's wet, tread pattern is not important. Generally the less of it
    the better.

    >Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere?

    I'm not sure about that either. It's easier to find lists of tyres by make and model and then check
    to see what sizes each is available in.

    >What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no panniers)?

    Continental Top Touring, Continental Ultra Gatorskin, and Michelin World Tour are all well regarded
    and all available in 27 X 1 1/4. This size is also sometimes referred to under a different standard
    as 32-630. They are the same thing.

    There are a number of places. www.wiggle.co.uk might be a good one to start at.

    --
    Dave...

  4. nicoll wrote:

    > I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are Michelin and from the
    > memory they were called international or continental. The are yellow/brown side wall with black
    > tread, the tread pattern was continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and
    > not zig zags.
    >
    > Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere? What is the most suitable
    > tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no panniers)? Where can I buy well priced tyres and
    > tubes on line or by mail order?

    For a faster tyre, Continental Sport tyres are a cheaper version of their Grand Prix and look fairly
    similar. They're available in 27 x 1
    1/4. the choice really isn't all that bad. 27" rims are getting rare and expensive though, so watch
    out for potholes!

  5. nicoll wrote:

    > I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres I have are Michelin and from the
    > memory they were called international or continental. The are yellow/brown side wall with black
    > tread, the tread pattern was continuous lines which went round the circumference of the tyre and
    > not zig zags.
    >
    > Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres anywhere? What is the most suitable
    > tyre for touring type evening/ weekend rides (no panniers)? Where can I buy well priced tyres and
    > tubes on line or by mail order?

    If you're still after 27" stuff I have the following for sale because, after a serious frame
    inspection last night, I've decided my old bike is beyond economical repair. All these bits are
    completely unused and were bought as "insurance" against the stuff becoming unavailable in future:

    4 x Continental Supersport tyres in 27" x 1 1/8" (retail at £12 each - I'll take £2 each) 4 x
    Specialized Turbo R tyres (folding bead) in 27" x 7/8" (retail at £20 each - I'll take £2.50 each) 2
    x alloy rims with eyelets, 36 hole drilling, I'll take £10 the pair.

    The rims are particularly hard to get for sensible money these days.

    Postage at cost if you're interested.

    Roger

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > I used to use the Hutchinson Kevlar 27x1/14" for the same sort of rides but I'm not sure if it's
    > still avaialble.

    This is the one: www.wiggle.co.uk/?ReferID=bikebrain&ProductID=5300003258

    Since I don't think I'll ever go back 27", I'll get rid of the last (lightly used) one I have. Look
    out for my ad.

    ~PB

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >> I used to use the Hutchinson Kevlar 27x1/14" for the same sort of rides but I'm not sure if it's
    >> still avaialble.
    >
    > This is the one: www.wiggle.co.uk/?ReferID=bikebrain&ProductID=5300003258
    >
    > Since I don't think I'll ever go back 27", I'll get rid of the last (lightly used) one I have.
    > Look out for my ad.

    Sorry, deal's off. I've just found a bad cut in it. That would have been v embarrassing if I'd sold
    it without spotting that! Shame because the tread is hardly worn.

    ~PB

  8. Mark Hay

    Mark Hay Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
    | nicoll wrote:
    |
    | > I need to but a new tyre for my 27" x 1 1/4" wheel. The tyres
    I have are
    | > Michelin and from the memory they were called international
    or continental.
    | > The are yellow/brown side wall with black tread, the tread
    pattern was
    | > continuous lines which went round the circumference of the
    tyre and not zig
    | > zags.
    | >
    | > Is there a comprehensive list of available 27 x 1 1/4 tyres
    anywhere?
    | > What is the most suitable tyre for touring type evening/
    weekend rides (no
    | > panniers)? Where can I buy well priced tyres and tubes on line or by
    mail order?

    | If you're still after 27" stuff I have the following for sale
    because,
    | after a serious frame inspection last night, I've decided my
    old bike is
    | beyond economical repair. All these bits are completely unused
    and were
    | bought as "insurance" against the stuff becoming unavailable in
    future:

    | 4 x Continental Supersport tyres in 27" x 1 1/8" (retail at
    £12 each -
    | I'll take £2 each) 4 x Specialized Turbo R tyres (folding bead) in 27" x 7/8"
    (retail at
    | £20 each - I'll take £2.50 each) 2 x alloy rims with eyelets, 36 hole drilling, I'll take £10
    the pair.

    | The rims are particularly hard to get for sensible money these
    days.

    | Postage at cost if you're interested.
    |
    | Roger

    Michelin still do a tyre in this size called World Tour. I've seen them in Halfords.

    Mark