275 pounds - 6'2" - Road Bike advice would be greatly appreciated

SLA1500

Dec 31, 2013
Just getting back in the saddle after a 25 year/50# hiatus (age 62) and have logged 1100 miles on my Klein Attitude the past three months. Midwest winter weather hasn't deterred me, so unless its snow conditions 10 degree temps and blustery winds haven't kept me indoors. Can't get over how much I am enjoying being back on the bike!

I'd really like the Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert 58 for frame geometry/comfort, but the Specialized rep has discouraged this, and suggested the Secteur citing 240 pound weight limit for the Roubaix carbon frame. My frustration is that the components on the Secteur are Tiagra, I'd much prefer Shimano 105 and comfort of carbon.

I won't be riding gravel, going down Vail Pass at 50+mph, riding pothole prone roads or hammering up steep hills. Terrain around here is pretty flat,

Really curious if there are any big guys/clydesdales on the Carbon frame Roubaix, and what you've done with to beef up wheels.

It's really frustrating to be on the wrong side of the learning curve, and I'm thirsting for some advice.

Thanks!

SLA 1500,
As I have posted before I am by no means an expert when it comes to biking, but I just purchased a Trek Damone with a carbon frame and was told there is no known weight limit for that bike. I am 50yo with a 260 lbs carcass and am looking forward to riding this spring. I have to be honest as I do not know much about Specialized bikes, but if they are telling you to avoid a certain model due to weight limits I would either avoid that model, or contact the manufacturer and ask them if they have any weight limits on certain models.

Thanks and good luck,
John S

Hi John,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Specialized does list rider weight info for their bikes/wheels, but I understand there are some Roubaix carbon bikes being ridden by bigger riders and hoped that I might get some insight from them on how they're fairing, and wheels they're having success with.

Also curious whether you've logged many miles on the Domane yet, type of terrain, and how the wheels are holding up. From what I'm told, wheels are the weak link regardless of bike for us over 250.

Best regards

It looks like Cannondale has a 275 lb limit on their carbon bikes based on page 52 of this user manual: http://media.cannondale.com/media/Manuals/2010_Cannondale_Bicycle_Owners_Manual_124451.pdf Might be worth checking with a Cannondale dealer or dropping them an email.

Cycle Drama said:
SLA 1500,  As I have posted before I am by no means an expert when it comes to biking, but I just purchased a Trek Damone .... Thanks and good luck,  John S
Do you mean a Trek Madone or a Trek Domane?

Thanks guys! I ended up pulling the trigger on the Roubaix Expert today. Tossing caution to the wind on the weight limit issue due to terrain available in this area, my current riding aggressiveness, and encouragement from my Specialized dealer. Found out there are quite a few guys larger than me getting along fine with the carbon frame. Wheels may take some time, but some are getting along fine with stock wheels. There are a number of options to beef up if/when needed. My new steed should be ready to go next week. Anxious for some seat time!

Yes,
I meant a Trek Domane......my dislexic symptoms are acting up again.
big-smile.png

Since I purchased the Domane I have not had a chance to ride it yet (except to test it on a trainer in the store). It is still at the bike shop getting some componants mounted and should be ready for pickup in about a week. I am hoping for an early spring to take it out on it's maiden voyage.

Thanks,
John S

Cycle Drama said:
Yes,  I meant a Trek Domane......my dislexic symptoms are acting up again. :big-smile: Since I purchased the Domane I have not had a chance to ride it yet (except to test it on a trainer in the store). It is still at the bike shop getting some componants mounted and should be ready for pickup in about a week. I am hoping for an early spring to take it out on it's maiden voyage. Thanks,  John S
To hell with early spring. That's too long to wait to ride a new bike. I'd ride it the first semi-decent day that comes along, and by semi-decent I mean a day on which you won't sacrifice limbs to the cold if you ride.

alienator posted: "To hell with early spring. That's too long to wait to ride a new bike....."

My reply: I agree 1000%....but in Wisconsin we have temperatures hovering around the 13 degree mark for the past month with no relief in site. Looks like I will be forced to suffer riding the old stationary bike 'til April.
silly.png

Thanks,
John S

Really cold here too John. Like Wisconsin, it'd have to warm up quite a bit to get to 13 degrees!

The extended forecast starting next Thursday looks like we'll see good riding temps (for Nebraska) in the 35-45 degree
range.

Hope Wisconsin warms up also so you can log some seat time on the new Domane. Anxious to hear how you like it.

I would love to see 35-45 degree temps next week. I will have to wait until March to see those temps.

Will keep you posted on the Domane.....looking forward to the first ride myself. In the mean time I will have to suffer through the boring stationary rides at the gym.

John S.

Trek lists a 275 lb. limit for all of their road bikes, regardless of frame material. You should be fine on a Domane. You may have to go to 60 cm in frame size, though. Make sure you try both the 58 and 60. For most brands, 58 is my size, but 60 was the right size for a Madone.

mpre53,
The one that seems to fit best is size 58. I did not know they have a maximum 275lbs frame limit......that may be an issue if my ***** gets any wider.
tongue.png

Hoping with all the miles I plan on logging this season it won't be an issue.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the Domane has a higher head tube, and a shorter reach, than even the H2 Madone, in identical frame sizes, so 58 might be the right one for you.

I have the Elite 105 with Shimano gears. I'm a bigger fellow myself, clocking in at 235 donuts (on a good day). I'm by no means an heavy or avid cyclist, I split my time between weigths and riding. So far so good just a FYI

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Only three rides/60 miles thus far, but love the responsiveness of the Roubaix. Getting zeroed in on saddle tilt, and looking forward to logging some miles. Weather here has been in the high 30's and 40's lately, so good winter riding for this part of the country.