27mm seat post??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by mds2076, Oct 29, 2006.

1. mds2076

mds2076 New Member

I bought an Easton EA70 27.2mm seat post off Ebay; well that's what I thought it was. When I placed it in the seat post tube it seemed to slide in somewhat more easily than I expected. The clamp tightened up ok but looking at it later I noticed there wasn't much of a gap left between the ears of the clamp where the screw is.
    I measured with my calipers and got 27.08mm. I could get 26.8 if I put pressure on the calipers. The genuine seat posts with my other bikes are about an extra .1mm in diameter.
    I mean it works but is this ok in a carbon fibre frame?

Tags:

2. velodude

velodude New Member

I'd be really surprised if the post doesn't have the size stamped on it. Easton only makes that post in a 27.2 or 31.6. Sounds like it may be a frame issue not a post one.

If you are not going to change the post get some of the new carbon "grease". Couple different companies have some now. It doesn't lube at all it creates friction againist carbon so you use less force to hold it tight, which would be better for the frame. The items you are "greasing" don't have to be carbon, it works for aluminium also.

Jimmy

3. mds2076

mds2076 New Member

There is no size stamped on it. The known 27.2mm seatposts from my other bikes all fit perfectly. I've shimmed it with a bit of aluminium from a can to get me by for now.

4. velodude

velodude New Member

You should never have to shim a good post on a good frame. My next thought is defective post, especially since there is no size stamp.

Jimmy