27mm seatposts

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian G Batten, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    consistent.

    I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?

    ian

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ian G Batten wrote:
    > My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    > marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    > have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    > consistent.
    >
    > I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    > somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    > seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    > for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?
    >
    > ian

    There seem to be quite a few on Wiggle. The Titec is fairly
    stiff and a reasonable price. Otherwise there are plenty of
    more expensive ones. Several (X-Lite, Use etc) use a shim
    system to fit.

    Tony

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Ian G Batten
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    > marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    > have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    > consistent.
    >
    > I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    > somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    > seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    > for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?

    I have a spare Ritchey 27.2 with slight layback which came
    on my Cannondale. It's spare because in my opinion it's of
    equivalent worth to a fetid pile of steaming dingos
    kidneys; the one-bolt design tends to slip when you go down
    steep rocky bits leaving you with a saddle pointed God
    knows where, which is decidedly uncomfortable. I replaced
    it with a BBB two bolt post which was cheap and is very
    good - I have a similar (but much larger diameter) BBB post
    on my Mantra.

    I have to admit I'm surprised at Cannondale and Marin using
    such small diameter seatposts because as you say they do
    flex. Having said that I'm pleased with my BBBs - they
    aren't the lightest things around but I haven't noticed the
    flex problem so much.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ .::;===r==\ /

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi Ian, I have on occasion seen a few 27.0mm Campagnolo
    Record Aluminum Seatposts show up on ebay. Some of these
    are quite sturdy, some have fluted posts, and I doubt if
    you would get any flex with these, yet still retain very
    light weight.

    There is one seller who is in Germany (Cyclo network), who
    constantly comes up with stuff like this. Perhaps try a
    search? Hope this idea helps, Mark

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    out.ftel.co.uk>...
    > My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    > marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    > have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    > consistent.
    >
    > I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    > somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    > seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    > for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?
    >
    > ian

  5. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >Hi Ian, I have on occasion seen a few 27.0mm Campagnolo
    >Record Aluminum Seatposts show up on ebay. Some of these
    >are quite sturdy, some have fluted posts, and I doubt if
    >you would get any flex with these, yet still retain very
    >light weight.
    >
    >There is one seller who is in Germany (Cyclo network), who
    >constantly comes up with stuff like this. Perhaps try a
    >search? Hope this idea helps, Mark

    Your LBS can get 27.0 Campy posts from Euro Asia. There have
    been problems with cyclo network delivering items wom on
    ebay. Phil Brown

  6. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    > marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    > have around won't fit,
    ---------------

    If you want to try using the 27.2 you have.... .2mm isn't
    "too" hard to remove with some sandpaper and elbow grease.
    Takes a while, and you'll get nasty black Al everywhere, but
    its possible.

  7. Sdmike

    Sdmike Guest

    "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    > marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    > have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    > consistent.
    >
    > I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    > somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    > seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    > for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?
    >
    > ian

    Have you checked ebay?

    I have a 27.0mm Superbe Pro seatpost. I know if I have one,
    they had to make more... Check for XC Pro too. Same basic
    SP, just longer.

  8. If I were to need one, not finding a scrap one I would do
    this. I would take a Campagnolo two-bolt 27.2mm post and
    reduce it to 27.0. No need to have a lathe. A belt sander is
    enough, and quite appropriate.

    Also, it can be done by a metal polishing shop. Here, the
    inconvenience is that the seatpost gets very hot when being
    polished; due to thermal expansion of the aluminum alloy, it
    is not so easy to confidently measure the diameter while
    doing the job.

    Sergio Pisa

  9. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Ian G Batten wrote:

    > My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    > marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    > have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    > consistent.
    >
    > I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    > somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    > seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    > for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?

    27. was a common size for mountain bikes in the early 90s.
    I'm pretty sure that's what my Diamond Back had, and
    they made tons of those. So there's bound to be a
    healthy supply of these posts somewhere. You might try
    Hokie Spokes here in Blacksburg -- they have a whole
    wall of bins with nothing but seatposts. Tell Dave I
    sent you -- www.hokiespokes.com for the phone number.

    Matt O.

  10. Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > Ian G Batten wrote:
    >

    >>My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    >>marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    >>have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    >>consistent.
    >>
    >>I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    >>somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    >>seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    >>for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?

    Google can find 'em : http://tinyurl.com/34hvk

    ** Phil.

  11. "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    > somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    > seatposts are thin on the ground.

    Perhaps not quite as common as 27.2, but certainly among the
    most common sizes.

    > Thompson's

    Thomson's

    > layback post, for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?

    If you really find flex a problem, bear in mind that the
    materials used in most of the posts on the market have about
    the same specific stiffness, are simple cylindrical plain-
    gauge extrusions, and can only therefore be stiffer than
    your OEM post if they're also heavier. Expensive posts using
    stronger alloys generally do so in order to allow thinner
    tube walls to be used, reducing weight, but also reducing
    stiffness unless the weight is redistributed to the areas of
    greatest stress. Thomson and Ritchey use an oval bore,
    increasing fore-aft stiffness at a given weight. A Ritchey
    Comp is quite cheap, as stiff as anything else you can buy,
    has a little layback, and is widely available in the UK. The
    KAlloy model, made in the same factory, is a little heavier,
    cheaper, but just as stiff.

    You might keep an eye on eBay for an old steel Shimano XT or
    DX post - there's an unused one on eBay.de right now [item
    3680550946]. It never hurts to ask if the seller will ship
    to the UK.

    Using a shimmed post would be a waste of money, as reducing
    the diameter is a great way to reduce stiffness unless the
    tube walls are also beefed up out of proportion.

    Having said all that, I'm heavy, and my two hardtails both
    use long 27.0mm posts (a light Syncros, and a Ritchey Comp).
    I wonder how much your seatpost can really be flexing unless
    your rear end is also taking more of a battering than is
    good for it.

    James Thomson

  12. "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 27. was a common size for mountain bikes in the early 90s.

    It continued to be a common size for steel mountain bikes
    with 28.6mm seat tubes while steel mountain bikes
    remained common. Most steel Konas, for example, many
    steel Marins, the earlier steel Stumpjumpers and
    Rockhoppers. It's still one of the most widely available
    sizes, though not as common as
    27.2

    > So there's bound to be a healthy supply of these posts
    > somewhere. You might try Hokie Spokes here in Blacksburg
    > -- they have a whole wall of bins with nothing but
    > seatposts.

    and Phil Brown had written:

    > Your LBS can get 27.0 Campy posts from Euro Asia

    The uk.rec.cycling crosspost, Ian's EU e-mail address and
    British ISP suggests that a North American dealer may not be
    the most convenient.

    James Thomson

  13. Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My 2004 Mount Vision has an unbranded seatpost that is
    > marked 27.0mm. And it presumably is: a 27.2mm seatpost I
    > have around won't fit, so unless both are mislabelled it's
    > consistent.
    >
    > I'd like a more rigid seatpost, as it appears to flex
    > somewhat if the suspension is locked out. But 27.0mm
    > seatposts are thin on the ground. Thompson's layback post,
    > for example, starts at 27.2mm. Any thoughts?
    >
    > ian

    I got one here last month for $10:

    http://www.theped.com/blowout.htm right side, almost all the
    way to the bottom:

    >27.2 Ritchey road seat post $14.95 fits M2 and A1 road and
    > many other high quality frames, 250mm, silver. OEM
    > (Original Equipment for Manufacturers)

    It says 27.2 but they have many sizes including 26.8 and
    27.0 in silver and black.

    -Doug