28.6mm Campy f/d braze on clamp

retrorider

Jun 8, 2006
Does one of these exist? I have a centaur group on my eros with a shimano 32mm clamp and a shim from problem solvers on there now. The clamp sticks out too far to put a water bottle cage on the seat tube without spacers. Where can I find the 28.6mm clamp or a 28.6mm clamp on centaur f/d?

retrorider said:
Does one of these exist? I have a centaur group on my eros with a shimano 32mm clamp and a shim from problem solvers on there now. The clamp sticks out too far to put a water bottle cage on the seat tube without spacers. Where can I find the 28.6mm clamp or a 28.6mm clamp on centaur f/d?
They are on e-bay all the time. Last year, I picked up a chorus double with a 28.6 mm clamp for $.99. (Yes, less than a dollar).

There is a Centaur 10 Speed front out there today with a 28.6 clamp, for 39 dollars.

The other option is to go to a licensed Campy Dealer and try to purchase just the clamp.

retrorider said:
FWIW. Because you are using Campagnolo shifters, you can use almost ANY front derailleur which has the proper clamp size ... as long as the cable "pull" is from the correct direction for your frame (i.e., bottom pull for most ROAD bike frames) ...

Your Campagnolo shifter won't care whether you have a Xenon, a Record, a 60s vintage Campagnolo Valentino OR even a Shimano front derailleur (with the possible exception of a 10-speed Shimano front derailleur) as long as the stops are adjusted properly.

retrorider said:

I'v got a 28.6mm clamp Mirage FD available. Never fitted, still in its bag.

Thank you for your responses. I guess I will just find a 28.6 clamp on e-bay. The $39.00 on there now is gray. A clamp is a clamp I know. Tell that to my bike. I have noticed some discoloration around the f/d clamp area. I have also noticed two small wet spots on the carpet under the handlebars and swear I saw a tear well up under one of the hoods. I think it knows. I just hope I can find the clamp before valentines day.

OK. So what I did was bought a cheap Mirage 28.6 Clamp on f/d for $14.00 plus shipping and handling. I took the clamp off and put it on the Centaur. Then I put the 32mm clamp on the Mirage. I will list the Mirage f/d and some other parts on e-bay later.

retrorider said:
Thank you for your responses. I guess I will just find a 28.6 clamp on e-bay. The $39.00 on there now is gray. A clamp is a clamp I know. Tell that to my bike. I have noticed some discoloration around the f/d clamp area. I have also noticed two small wet spots on the carpet under the handlebars and swear I saw a tear well up under one of the hoods. I think it knows. I just hope I can find the clamp before valentines day.

if you can't easily find a 28.6 clamp-on fd then you can get a braze-on one and use a 28.6 mm braze-on adapter clamp. Campy makes their own brand name one that costs about 20$ but Nashbar has a pretty nice one for about $2. I am using a Veloce braze-on FD with one of these braze-on adapters on one of my bikes. Works great and probably looks a lot better than that 32mm gizmo you are using now.

Bro, I figured it out. I could barely stand to look at my bike with the shimano clamp. Why would I want an ugly Nashbar clamp that looks like a braze on? Campy sells a 32mm and a 35mm clamp. I would have still needed the problem solver shim.

Thanks everyone. I have found out that the clamp on campy derailleurs are interchangeable. My Centuar clamp had a hex nut that secured it to the derailleur. The Mirage had a lock ring. The lock ring is probably lighter by a gram or two, for all the weight weenies out there.