280lb + rider looking for new wheels

Longtime81

Jul 29, 2013
Hi, I am a new rider and about to purchase a Cannondale Supersix 5 105. I am looking to upgrade the wheelset on these, as they come standard with the Shimanos RS-10. It doesn't matter about weight, I just want to make sure the wheels will hold me. I am looking about $500 for something. Not sure if this is a good budget or not. I am working with my LBS to do an upgrade, so it will the $500 plus the savings from the other wheels. I am guessing I will have around $700??

Any information would be great! Oh, and they will be used for casual riding, maybe short Tri's here and there, but not serious competition.

Longtime81 said:
Hi, I am a new rider and about to purchase a Cannondale Supersix 5 105. I am looking to upgrade the wheelset on these, as they come standard with the Shimanos RS-10. It doesn't matter about weight, I just want to make sure the wheels will hold me. I am looking about $500 for something. Not sure if this is a good budget or not. I am working with my LBS to do an upgrade, so it will the $500 plus the savings from the other wheels. I am guessing I will have around $700??  Any information would be great! Oh, and they will be used for casual riding, maybe short Tri's here and there, but not serious competition. 
I'd recommend getting a set of custom wheels built to suit you. A custom builder can, with you, choose rims, spokes, number of spokes, and hubs that fit your needs and can do so in the price range you mentioned. You can then sell the RS-10 wheel set on eBay to get your money back. Where do you find a custom builder? Well, you can find them online (if you use the "search function" at the top of the page, you should find a quite few different names that have been listed in threads on this forum), and you can also find them at your local bike shop. In fact, if your local bike shop or a local bike shop does it, you can ask if they'll take your RS-10 wheel set to reduce the cost of the new wheel set. Another bonus to using a custom wheel builder is that they tend to stand very firmly behind their products since their reputations can live and die by the quality of their products and since they have neither the marketing departments nor the marketing dollars big companies have.

I'll second the Velocity Deep Vs. If I recall correctly the Velocity hubs are rebranded Formula hubs. I'd personally go with a Shimano hub over those but that's just me.

I think there are the type of wheels that are really good which can stand your weight. It's one of those that are thick and big, they're really good for mountains and other types, but it's a bit harder to push perhaps.