:(

MichaelB

Feb 10, 2004
Is it normal to think that you'd be better off dead every few weeks? The only thing that stops me is my family. Does everyone think this or is it just me? :(

Well, that's not exactly a normal thing to think. What's bothering you?

MichaelB said:
Is it normal to think that you'd be better off dead every few weeks? The only thing that stops me is my family. Does everyone think this or is it just me? :(

Some of us do have those thoughts occasionally... more often duiring certain times of our lives.

When I was 18, I had a loaded 45 caliber pistol in my mouth... the only things to stop me from pulling the trigger was that I didn't want to hurt my mom or to make someone else clean up the mess. I didn't even know why I was so depressed...

There have been other times in the 30 years since then that have caused me to wonder again if life is worth living... But there have also been wonderful things that I wouldn't have experienced otherwise.

You may need to seek professional help, but if you just need to air some issues, then find someone you can feel safe to share with.

Life is not fair, but it is worth the journey.

I suspect that this is far more common than people ever admit.Having read a few of your other posts,you sound quite normal in most respects..apart from a warped sense of humour.The post on "raising money" was a classic!
Further consultation may be necessary...try these links for a laugh.
http://isitnormal.com/
Is It Normal?
and this one,so you can find out what lies in store for admirers of Professor Dawkins...http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
Landover Baptist | Where the Worthwhile Worship. Unsaved Unwelcome.

:) :) :)

Mate, i feel like that right now. Its not the first time, it won't be the last. Wish i had some advice...

I don't know if its normal, but it does happen from time to time. I've found both heavy drinking and isolating myself (this used to make sense), whilst they may seem appropriate are actually a very bad idea and one of the best way to combat depression is to remain in friendly company as much as you can. you are depressed and thats your problem, not life. the truth is as you probably know (being a cyclist) is that there is a lot if great stuff to do in life such as travelling, meeting people, and cycling! perhaps you should plan (and do) a tour in france or spain. the sun is coming out and that's one of the best ways to remember why it can be so fun just to exist!

remember life is about renewal, and not taking the past with you, my brother told me that and its true.

Don't focus on the existentialist **** which physicists tell you, it has nothing to do with your family or you, or me! Just live for what you love.

yours sympathetically, francis

p.s. If there is anyone normal out there (I've yet to meet a nomal person) can you reply to this thread.
p.p.s. My point is no one is normal, but if your depressions are very regular and unmotivated by anything obvious you might be bi-polar, if so you must deal with it and talk to a doctor immediately (I've two bi-polar cousins and its not something which goes away with time).

that said I regularly find myself slipping, so maybe I havn't got the best advice, i listen to Dylan for hours when i can't do anything else, just take care of yourself michael like you normally would.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

MichaelB said:

I'll come out of lurker mode for this one. No, it's not "normal", I've been there too. This is one sign of depression. You should talk to your doctor, maybe see a therapist and see about getting on an antidepressant. You probably won't have to take them forever, they will help you get back to your self.

Are you a loner, or are you dependent on relationships with people? Both personality types can get into the doldrums. Whatever type you are, make an attempt to break out. If you're a loner, seek some friends and family, and try to spend some time with them.

If this is sincere, maybe you need another hero. If my hero was prof dawkins I would be depressed too. Life has much more meaning that what he believes...at least in my perspective

Yeah, my first thought was that this is 100% someone fishing to start a thread. If it is....well it is a pretty good topic.

To start I have never thought about killing myself and am pretty amazed at the number of people here that have.
Secondly, talk to someone if you really are like this.
Remember this stat - Over 90% of people who TRIED to kill themselves and FAILED have said they knew they were making a mistake as soon as they made the attempt and wished they could turn back.

normal is a setting on the clothes washer. the closest i will get to normal is to do a load of laundry.

Yes. Perfectly normal. It's a natural response to modern life.

You get up in the morning. It's raining again. You have to get to work. You're late. The kids are screaming at each other. There's no Weetabix left. Your shirt isn't ironed.

Your bike has a puncture. You've no patches left. Catch the bus. The person sitting behind you has a cold. They cough and sneeze over your shoulder. You've only enough change to pay the fair and now can't afford any lunch.

You arrive at work. Work sucks. Your boss is a ****. And you don't get paid enough.

8 hours.

8 f**king hours!

Of this sh*t!

Somehow you make it through the day. Things are looking up. The wife picks you up from work. She's been to Halfords and got you a spare tube.

Home, dinner, settee, news.

Tony and George are screwing the planet. Everyone wants nuclear bombs. Death and destruction are the norm. Rape is a form of currency. Greed is just business as usual. It's all lies and deceit.

You change channels.

DIY SOS. How f**king apt.

Someone pass me the gun.

:D

Yeah its normal, but to think that anyone wants to kill themselves to not deal with something. Well honestly, its rather lame. We've all been there and as a person, well you should realize that things will get better. Especially when you have people that love you.

wheelist said:
Yes. Perfectly normal. It's a natural response to modern life.

You get up in the morning. It's raining again. You have to get to work. You're late. The kids are screaming at each other. There's no Weetabix left. Your shirt isn't ironed.

Your bike has a puncture. You've no patches left. Catch the bus. The person sitting behind you has a cold. They cough and sneeze over your shoulder. You've only enough change to pay the fair and now can't afford any lunch.

You arrive at work. Work sucks. Your boss is a ****. And you don't get paid enough.

8 hours.

8 f**king hours!

Of this sh*t!

Somehow you make it through the day. Things are looking up. The wife picks you up from work. She's been to Halfords and got you a spare tube.

Home, dinner, settee, news.

Tony and George are screwing the planet. Everyone wants nuclear bombs. Death and destruction are the norm. Rape is a form of currency. Greed is just business as usual. It's all lies and deceit.

You change channels.

DIY SOS. How f**king apt.

Someone pass me the gun.

:D
If it's not too much trouble ...would you mind shooting tony blair first? :D

stevebaby said:
I suspect that this is far more common than people ever admit.Having read a few of your other posts,you sound quite normal in most respects..apart from a warped sense of humour.The post on "raising money" was a classic!
Further consultation may be necessary...try these links for a laugh.
http://isitnormal.com/
Is It Normal?
and this one,so you can find out what lies in store for admirers of Professor Dawkins...http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
Landover Baptist | Where the Worthwhile Worship. Unsaved Unwelcome.

:) :) :)
When I was doing research for a paper yesterday, I pulled out a book called 'Origins'. It had a picture depicting evolution; full color pictures of different kinds of primates, phasing up to a human face at the top. Scrawled across his forehead was "God created me" in marker. I got really depressed at that point. Heheheh, that second link really cheered me up and made me laugh =D.

Sorry, no thread jacking..bad..bad..So, yah, Its actually pretty normal, just don't act on those feelings. I used to be depressed all the time when I was a teenager. And you DON'T need to a stupid ****ing pill to tell you your all right..*glares at whoever mentioned getting medication and therapy*. Be brave, this world is scary and harsh, but don't let it bog you down. Always work toward something, something you want, a goal, and wake up every day saying "i'm going to achieve something, to put me closer to my goal." pretty soon you'll realize your not depressed anymore.

I just sat through a whole episode of "Big Brother".

JEEVES,Load my Webley and bring me a large whiskey! :D