Touring and recreational cycling · Public discussion

28mm tires that fit

Started by sfl99 · · Last activity · 4 posts · 2,310 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Touring and recreational cycling
Published
23 February 2006
Last activity
7 March 2006
Original author
sfl99
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,310
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I tried putting some 28mm (700c) conti top touring tires on my girlfriends road bike (giant OCR1 2002), and they just barely scrape the inside top of her brake calipers. I've heard top touring are a little slow anyway. I'd like to
    find a fast 28mm tire that might fit, as not all tires are the same height. I'm looking to go 28mm because she will be lightly loaded and could use the added comfort.

    Any suggestions?

    -Steve

  2. On my Flat bar I went from 25mm Felt Kevlar to 23mm Conti GP4000 and the comfort level increased. I suggest trying Conti GP4000 in 25mm for the GF. 😎

    OCRs did come with 25mm Michie Dynamic tyres in Aus. I feel they have too much bounce as a friend got tipped off her bike a couple of times. :eek:

    Edit: Have a look at the new Conti Ultra Gator Skin as well, similar but cheaper: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/tires/race/ultra_gatorskin/ultra_gatorskin_en.html

  3. I use Conti 700x28 Gatorskins on our Santana tandem and have found them to be an excellent tire. The only problem is that I can only get them from the US as when I asked the local conti importer wether they would import some on their next shipment the reply was "and how many pallet loads would I like"?

    As you mentioned that your girlfriend will be riding lightly loaded don't even contemplate using 23c tyres. We have just returned from the BNSW ride and on the longest day, even the police were taking spare tubes to the wallies who were stranded with narrow flat tyres.

    Cheers

    Geoff

  4. geoffs said:

    I use Conti 700x28 Gatorskins on our Santana tandem and have found them to be an excellent tire. The only problem is that I can only get them from the US as when I asked the local conti importer wether they would import some on their next shipment the reply was "and how many pallet loads would I like"?

    As you mentioned that your girlfriend will be riding lightly loaded don't even contemplate using 23c tyres. We have just returned from the BNSW ride and on the longest day, even the police were taking spare tubes to the wallies who were stranded with narrow flat tyres.

    Cheers

    Geoff

    Thanks a bunch for the reply. I just happened to come across some 28mm gatorskins a week ago (I'm in the US), and picked them up. So far no complaints. With here running 28's, and myself running 32's, we get to share the same spare tubes, which is a nice bonus.

    I have no idea why folks run narrow tires on recreational rides. Even on single day centuries I see flats galore.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.