2nd Ave. Deli RIP

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Stan Horwitz, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Stan  Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
    closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on another
    newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search found a
    story about it at

    http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php

    but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
    owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
    the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved. I
    hope the 2nd Ave. Deli opens up in another location as it was truly a
    New York landmark and one of the few places on the entire east coast
    where one could go for a wonderful Kosher meal.

    Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am told
    the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan of
    pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good pastrami
    can be found.

    Even though I am watching my food intake, a 90 mile trip up I95 from
    Southern NJ where I live will not be the same without a meal at the 2nd
    Ave. Deli.

    Tags:

  2. "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
    >
    > but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
    > owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
    > the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved.

    You don't think an increase of $9000 a month is enough to shut down a
    business? Plus renovations? Plus increased cost of utilities?

    I expect to see a lot of places increase prices considerably or just shut
    down as business falls off because people are struggling to pay the heating
    bill and will stop eating out as often.

  3. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <RBGJf.1426$%[email protected]>,
    "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
    > >
    > > but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
    > > owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
    > > the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved.

    > You don't think an increase of $9000 a month is enough to shut down a
    > business? Plus renovations? Plus increased cost of utilities?
    >
    > I expect to see a lot of places increase prices considerably or just shut
    > down as business falls off because people are struggling to pay the heating
    > bill and will stop eating out as often.

    I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
    move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

  4. Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
    so great) words of knowledge:

    This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

  5. "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
    > move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

    Where would that be? What about the existing walk in clientele and how will
    they maintain or attract new ones? Moving a business to a new neighborhood
    can be death itself, or it can be the best thing that ever happened. Moving
    around the corner can kill some trade. It is not always that simple, nor
    it is cheap. New businesses have to comply with all the latest regulations
    where an existing one may be grandfathered for certain improvements.

  6. "Stan Horwitz wrote re: the 2nd Ave Deli:

    > I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
    > move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

    With the madly escalating cost of Manhattan real estate there is no "lower
    rent"...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Stan Horwitz wrote re: the 2nd Ave Deli:
    >
    >> I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
    >> move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

    > With the madly escalating cost of Manhattan real estate there is no "lower
    > rent"...

    I understand that someone offered a space a couple of blocks away
    to try to save it? Sorry, I haven't been playing along so much, but I
    thought someone said that.

    nancy

  8. Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes
    > not so great) words of knowledge:
    >
    > This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?
    >
    >> Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
    >> closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on
    >> another newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search
    >> found a story about it at
    >>
    >> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
    >>
    >> but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
    >> owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to
    >> renovate the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more
    >> involved. I hope the 2nd Ave. Deli opens up in another location as it
    >> was truly a New York landmark and one of the few places on the entire
    >> east coast where one could go for a wonderful Kosher meal.
    >>
    >> Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am
    >> told the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan
    >> of pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good
    >> pastrami can be found.
    >>
    >> Even though I am watching my food intake, a 90 mile trip up I95 from
    >> Southern NJ where I live will not be the same without a meal at the
    >> 2nd Ave. Deli.

    Well I am mourning the demise of 2nd Avenue Deli. Mainly because I've not
    made it there. I'm not a New Yorker but it has always been a goal to eat
    there. According to friends, the Katz deli is now the place.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    > posted news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes
    > > not so great) words of knowledge:
    > >
    > > This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?
    > >
    > >> Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
    > >> closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on
    > >> another newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search
    > >> found a story about it at
    > >>
    > >> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
    > >>
    > >> but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
    > >> owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to
    > >> renovate the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more
    > >> involved. I hope the 2nd Ave. Deli opens up in another location as it
    > >> was truly a New York landmark and one of the few places on the entire
    > >> east coast where one could go for a wonderful Kosher meal.
    > >>
    > >> Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am
    > >> told the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan
    > >> of pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good
    > >> pastrami can be found.
    > >>
    > >> Even though I am watching my food intake, a 90 mile trip up I95 from
    > >> Southern NJ where I live will not be the same without a meal at the
    > >> 2nd Ave. Deli.

    > Well I am mourning the demise of 2nd Avenue Deli. Mainly because I've not
    > made it there. I'm not a New Yorker but it has always been a goal to eat
    > there. According to friends, the Katz deli is now the place.

    Not really... Katz's Deli is not kosher.

    Sheldon

  10. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:45:43 -0500, Stan Horwitz <[email protected]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    <snip>

    >Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am told
    >the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan of
    >pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good pastrami
    >can be found.

    I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
    Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
    amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
    able to find, anyway.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  11. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:09:46 GMT, Ted Campanelli
    <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

    No. Completely different place. 2nd Ave. Deli is in Manhattan.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  12. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:09:46 GMT, Ted Campanelli
    > <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
    >
    > >This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

    > No. Completely different place. 2nd Ave. Deli is in Manhattan.

    Katz's Deli is in Manhattan too, on Houston Street... the Bowery is in
    Manhattan.

    http://www.katzdeli.com/presentation.html

    Sheldon

  13. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote

    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:09:46 GMT, Ted Campanelli
    > <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
    >
    >>This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

    > No. Completely different place. 2nd Ave. Deli is in Manhattan.

    Isn't the Bowery, too?

    nancy

  14. me

    me Guest

    In article <V%[email protected]>,
    "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
    > > move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

    > Where would that be? What about the existing walk in clientele and how will
    > they maintain or attract new ones? Moving a business to a new neighborhood
    > can be death itself, or it can be the best thing that ever happened. Moving
    > around the corner can kill some trade. It is not always that simple, nor
    > it is cheap. New businesses have to comply with all the latest regulations
    > where an existing one may be grandfathered for certain improvements.

    As someone else already mentioned, the owner had offers from as
    close as a couple of blocks away. He already stated that he was on
    the hook for numerous (and expensive) code improvements at the
    existing location anyway. And 2nd Ave. was a long-time destination
    restaurant I'd bet most 2nd Ave. customers would walk or ride a
    couple blocks more to get there.

    sd

  15. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:45:53 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:45:43 -0500, Stan Horwitz <[email protected]>
    >rummaged among random neurons and opined:
    >

    ><snip>
    >
    >>Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am told
    >>the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan of
    >>pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good pastrami
    >>can be found.

    >I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
    >Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
    >amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
    >able to find, anyway.

    Have you been to Cantor's in the Fairfax District on La Cienega? That
    deli is as close as I remember to the ones I grew up with in the 50s
    and 60s. I have always liked it better than the 2nd Ave.

    I admit, having lived near the 2nd Ave Deli for years, that I grew to
    like it less and less as those years went by. I know that is not what
    most feel about it here, but I had to say it.

    Boron

  16. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]r.net> wrote

    > I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
    > Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
    > amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
    > able to find, anyway.

    Have you tried the Carnegie Deli stuff you can get from
    Costco? I am quite happy with it, polished off the second
    packet when we got back from vacation. So good.

    nancy

  17. aem

    aem Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

    > I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
    > Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
    > amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
    > able to find, anyway.

    Next time you come up to L.A. try Langers Deli on Alvarado at 7th or
    8th (I forget). It's the best pastrami in L.A. If you call your
    order in you can pick it up from your car, but if you go inside you can
    enjoy the huge menu just like at Carnegie Street. -aem

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
    (snip)

    > I admit, having lived near the 2nd Ave Deli for years, that I grew to
    > like it less and less as those years went by. I know that is not what
    > most feel about it here, but I had to say it.
    >
    > Boron

    Did the quality of the food decline, your tastes change, or was it the
    service? I've enjoyed their hospitality. I'm not treated here, in
    restaurants I frequent regularly, as generously as I have been there, a
    place I've been maybe once a year.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  19. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:18:13 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >(snip)
    >>
    >> I admit, having lived near the 2nd Ave Deli for years, that I grew to
    >> like it less and less as those years went by. I know that is not what
    >> most feel about it here, but I had to say it.
    >>
    >> Boron

    >Did the quality of the food decline, your tastes change, or was it the
    >service? I've enjoyed their hospitality. I'm not treated here, in
    >restaurants I frequent regularly, as generously as I have been there, a
    >place I've been maybe once a year.

    I think the food changed. The chopped liver was better, the challah
    was moist and fresher, the tongue was nicer, the salami was
    impeccable...(of course, you cannot get good Jewish salami anywhere
    anymore the waiters were 90 years old and had been serving there
    since the year 1. The place was cleaner.

    Neither Katz's or The Carnegie stayed the same, either.

    The places I miss the most, though, are the dairy restaurants that
    used to be in the garment district. Those places were something else.

    I started going to all of them in the early 70s.

    Boron

  20. "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > The places I miss the most, though, are the dairy restaurants that
    > used to be in the garment district. Those places were something else.
    >
    > I started going to all of them in the early 70s.
    >
    > Boron

    I used to like the Ambassador in Philly. It was on Girard Avenue. Last time
    I was there was about 25 years ago though. Yes, the waiters were all very
    old and had been there for many years.