2nd Ave. Deli RIP

Stan Horwitz

Guest
Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on another
newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search found a
story about it at

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php

but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved. I
hope the 2nd Ave. Deli opens up in another location as it was truly a
New York landmark and one of the few places on the entire east coast
where one could go for a wonderful Kosher meal.

Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am told
the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan of
pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good pastrami
can be found.

Even though I am watching my food intake, a 90 mile trip up I95 from
Southern NJ where I live will not be the same without a meal at the 2nd
Ave. Deli.

"Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
>
> but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
> owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
> the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved.

You don't think an increase of $9000 a month is enough to shut down a
business? Plus renovations? Plus increased cost of utilities?

I expect to see a lot of places increase prices considerably or just shut
down as business falls off because people are struggling to pay the heating
bill and will stop eating out as often.

In article <RBGJf.1426$%[email protected]>,
"Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
> >
> > but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
> > owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
> > the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved.

> You don't think an increase of $9000 a month is enough to shut down a
> business? Plus renovations? Plus increased cost of utilities?
>
> I expect to see a lot of places increase prices considerably or just shut
> down as business falls off because people are struggling to pay the heating
> bill and will stop eating out as often.

I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

> Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
> closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on another
> newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search found a
> story about it at
>
> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
>
> but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
> owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
> the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved. I
> hope the 2nd Ave. Deli opens up in another location as it was truly a
> New York landmark and one of the few places on the entire east coast
> where one could go for a wonderful Kosher meal.
>
> Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am told
> the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan of
> pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good pastrami
> can be found.
>
> Even though I am watching my food intake, a 90 mile trip up I95 from
> Southern NJ where I live will not be the same without a meal at the 2nd
> Ave. Deli.

"Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
> move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

Where would that be? What about the existing walk in clientele and how will
they maintain or attract new ones? Moving a business to a new neighborhood
can be death itself, or it can be the best thing that ever happened. Moving
around the corner can kill some trade. It is not always that simple, nor
it is cheap. New businesses have to comply with all the latest regulations
where an existing one may be grandfathered for certain improvements.

"Stan Horwitz wrote re: the 2nd Ave Deli:

> I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
> move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

With the madly escalating cost of Manhattan real estate there is no "lower
rent"...

--
Best
Greg

"Gregory Morrow"
<[email protected]> wrote

> "Stan Horwitz wrote re: the 2nd Ave Deli:
>
>> I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
>> move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

> With the madly escalating cost of Manhattan real estate there is no "lower
> rent"...

I understand that someone offered a space a couple of blocks away
to try to save it? Sorry, I haven't been playing along so much, but I
thought someone said that.

nancy

Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes
> not so great) words of knowledge:
>
> This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?
>
>> Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
>> closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on
>> another newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search
>> found a story about it at
>>
>> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
>>
>> but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
>> owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to
>> renovate the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more
>> involved. I hope the 2nd Ave. Deli opens up in another location as it
>> was truly a New York landmark and one of the few places on the entire
>> east coast where one could go for a wonderful Kosher meal.
>>
>> Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am
>> told the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan
>> of pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good
>> pastrami can be found.
>>
>> Even though I am watching my food intake, a 90 mile trip up I95 from
>> Southern NJ where I live will not be the same without a meal at the
>> 2nd Ave. Deli.

Well I am mourning the demise of 2nd Avenue Deli. Mainly because I've not
made it there. I'm not a New Yorker but it has always been a goal to eat
there. According to friends, the Katz deli is now the place.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
> posted news:[email protected]:
>
> > Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes
> > not so great) words of knowledge:
> >
> > This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?
> >
> >> Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
> >> closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on
> >> another newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search
> >> found a story about it at
> >>
> >> http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php
> >>
> >> but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
> >> owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to
> >> renovate the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more
> >> involved. I hope the 2nd Ave. Deli opens up in another location as it
> >> was truly a New York landmark and one of the few places on the entire
> >> east coast where one could go for a wonderful Kosher meal.
> >>
> >> Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am
> >> told the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan
> >> of pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good
> >> pastrami can be found.
> >>
> >> Even though I am watching my food intake, a 90 mile trip up I95 from
> >> Southern NJ where I live will not be the same without a meal at the
> >> 2nd Ave. Deli.

> Well I am mourning the demise of 2nd Avenue Deli. Mainly because I've not
> made it there. I'm not a New Yorker but it has always been a goal to eat
> there. According to friends, the Katz deli is now the place.

Not really... Katz's Deli is not kosher.

Sheldon

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:45:43 -0500, Stan Horwitz <[email protected]>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

<snip>

>Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am told
>the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan of
>pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good pastrami
>can be found.

I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
able to find, anyway.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:09:46 GMT, Ted Campanelli
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

No. Completely different place. 2nd Ave. Deli is in Manhattan.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:09:46 GMT, Ted Campanelli
> <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
> >This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

> No. Completely different place. 2nd Ave. Deli is in Manhattan.

Katz's Deli is in Manhattan too, on Houston Street... the Bowery is in
Manhattan.

http://www.katzdeli.com/presentation.html

Sheldon

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:09:46 GMT, Ted Campanelli
> <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>This wasn't Katz's Deli in the Bowery, was it ?

> No. Completely different place. 2nd Ave. Deli is in Manhattan.

Isn't the Bowery, too?

nancy

In article <V%[email protected]>,
"Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > I am not questioning the concern about the rental increase, but why not
> > move the deli to a different location with lower rent?

> Where would that be? What about the existing walk in clientele and how will
> they maintain or attract new ones? Moving a business to a new neighborhood
> can be death itself, or it can be the best thing that ever happened. Moving
> around the corner can kill some trade. It is not always that simple, nor
> it is cheap. New businesses have to comply with all the latest regulations
> where an existing one may be grandfathered for certain improvements.

As someone else already mentioned, the owner had offers from as
close as a couple of blocks away. He already stated that he was on
the hook for numerous (and expensive) code improvements at the
existing location anyway. And 2nd Ave. was a long-time destination
restaurant I'd bet most 2nd Ave. customers would walk or ride a
couple blocks more to get there.

sd

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:45:53 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:45:43 -0500, Stan Horwitz <[email protected]>
>rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>

><snip>
>
>>Pastrami lovers must be mourning the loss of this deli since I am told
>>the 2nd Ave. Deli's pastrami was second to none. I am not a fan of
>>pastrami so I defer to other people's opinions on where good pastrami
>>can be found.

>I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
>Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
>amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
>able to find, anyway.

Have you been to Cantor's in the Fairfax District on La Cienega? That
deli is as close as I remember to the ones I grew up with in the 50s
and 60s. I have always liked it better than the 2nd Ave.

I admit, having lived near the 2nd Ave Deli for years, that I grew to
like it less and less as those years went by. I know that is not what
most feel about it here, but I had to say it.

Boron

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote

> I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
> Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
> amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
> able to find, anyway.

Have you tried the Carnegie Deli stuff you can get from
Costco? I am quite happy with it, polished off the second
packet when we got back from vacation. So good.

nancy

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I was fortunate enough to have lunch with my daughter and Margaret
> Suran not awfully long ago and can testify that the pastrami was
> amazing. Can't find anything like it here in SoCal, that I've been
> able to find, anyway.

Next time you come up to L.A. try Langers Deli on Alvarado at 7th or
8th (I forget). It's the best pastrami in L.A. If you call your
order in you can pick it up from your car, but if you go inside you can
enjoy the huge menu just like at Carnegie Street. -aem

In article <[email protected]>,
Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
(snip)

> I admit, having lived near the 2nd Ave Deli for years, that I grew to
> like it less and less as those years went by. I know that is not what
> most feel about it here, but I had to say it.
>
> Boron

Did the quality of the food decline, your tastes change, or was it the
service? I've enjoyed their hospitality. I'm not treated here, in
restaurants I frequent regularly, as generously as I have been there, a
place I've been maybe once a year.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:18:13 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
>(snip)
>>
>> I admit, having lived near the 2nd Ave Deli for years, that I grew to
>> like it less and less as those years went by. I know that is not what
>> most feel about it here, but I had to say it.
>>
>> Boron

>Did the quality of the food decline, your tastes change, or was it the
>service? I've enjoyed their hospitality. I'm not treated here, in
>restaurants I frequent regularly, as generously as I have been there, a
>place I've been maybe once a year.

I think the food changed. The chopped liver was better, the challah
was moist and fresher, the tongue was nicer, the salami was
impeccable...(of course, you cannot get good Jewish salami anywhere
anymore the waiters were 90 years old and had been serving there
since the year 1. The place was cleaner.

Neither Katz's or The Carnegie stayed the same, either.

The places I miss the most, though, are the dairy restaurants that
used to be in the garment district. Those places were something else.

I started going to all of them in the early 70s.

Boron

"Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The places I miss the most, though, are the dairy restaurants that
> used to be in the garment district. Those places were something else.
>
> I started going to all of them in the early 70s.
>
> Boron

I used to like the Ambassador in Philly. It was on Girard Avenue. Last time
I was there was about 25 years ago though. Yes, the waiters were all very
old and had been there for many years.