2nd Ave. Deli RIP

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Sheldon spewed:
>>
>> : That said, being from S. Calif. you'd have no way to compare corned
>> : beef, there is no _real_ corned beef west of Chicago, not now, never
>> : was.
>>
>> Gawd Sheldon's an idiot - the above statement shows what a complete
>> ignoramus he really is! He lives in his own little world, outside
>> of it there is no other.

> So you've been lurking a day or so and figure that your entree is to
> join the Sheldon bashers, huh? While you go look up 'hyberbole' take a
> detour to see if you can find a sense of humor. There will be lots of
> better occasions to bash him -- picking this one says more about you
> than about him. -aem

When I first started visiting the group it took me less than a day to
realize that sheldoon was a jackass and to killfile him. Some things are
obvious right away.

In any case, a while back there was a comparison of deli corned beef -
Rosengarten report maybe? - and one of the very best was from a deli in Los
Angeles.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken wrote:
>[snip]
> In any case, a while back there was a comparison of deli corned beef -
> Rosengarten report maybe? - and one of the very best was from a deli in Los
> Angeles.

I missed that, but the pastrami at Langer's Deli in L.A. is as good as
any in NYC. -aem

Peter Aitken wrote:

> In any case, a while back there was a comparison of deli corned beef -
> Rosengarten report maybe? - and one of the very best was from a deli in Los
> Angeles.

Yep, and you remember the name of that restaurant the same way Sqwertz
remembers the model of his Lover knife... in yer dreams... both yoose
pinheaded liars. Next thing yoose garbage-for-ethics scum buckets is
gonna claim is you can't remember the model car yoose drive unless
you're driving it. Liars!

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:50:41 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In any case, a while back there was a comparison of deli corned beef -
>Rosengarten report maybe? - and one of the very best was from a deli in Los
>Angeles.

That would be Langers, I think. Also has some of the best pastrami
around.

Christine

In article <[email protected]>, Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:50:41 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>In any case, a while back there was a comparison of deli corned beef -
>>Rosengarten report maybe? - and one of the very best was from a deli in Los
>>Angeles.

In fairness to Sheldon, it IS somewhat difficult to find corned beef, let
alone good corned beef, in Southern California. Here in Orange County, a
number of delis I frequent have abandoned corned beef, with the typical
complaint being that they'd have to throw out quite a bit due to insufficient
numbers of orders.

For those out here, the El Toro Meat Market in Lake Forest has more than
decent, if not stellar, corned beef sandwiches. And none of the "no cheese"
bologna!

Art (btw, originally from Philadelphia - I am quite familiar with good cold
cuts!)

: So you've been lurking a day or so and figure that your entree is to
: join the Sheldon bashers, huh? While you go look up 'hyberbole' take a
: detour to see if you can find a sense of humor. There will be lots of
: better occasions to bash him -- picking this one says more about you
: than about him. -aem

PLONK!

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:19:59 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Dee Dee turned me on to it, I am continually whining about the
>dirth of good deli sandwiches outside of NYC (smile) ... it's
>in the case by the kielbasi? That type of stuff? It's in a black
>box (that was my overall impression) with a neon sign saying
>Carnegie Deli. The box contains two packets of pastrami, I
>heated it in boiling water (ala boil-in bag).
>
>It's great, and I froze one packet, it came out perfectly as well.

Thanks, Nancy. I'll check it out next time I'm at Costco.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:26:39 -0800, Christine Dabney
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>I have heard, that Langers Deli in Los Angeles has wonderful pastrami.
>Have you tried it?

No, but about the only time I get to LA is when I have to go to court
in LA County. I try to say south of the Orange Curtain :)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> What about that deli in the Rodeo Drive area; I think its called Nate's
> or Nick's. The food there was awesome that last time I was there, but
> that was in 1999 when I tagged along with a friend to attend a science
> fiction convention. Its a bit of a schlep from Orange County, but not
> nearly as long as a cross country trip to Manhattan! Is that place still
> there? I heard it was popular with the local show business celebrities.

You're probably thinking of Nate 'n Al's. It's a small, usually
crowded, kosher-style deli that is indeed popular with celebrities.
Good food in general, but it doesn't get the same corned beef or
pastrami that Langers does. -aem

aem wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
> >
> > What about that deli in the Rodeo Drive area; I think its called Nate's
> > or Nick's. The food there was awesome that last time I was there, but
> > that was in 1999 when I tagged along with a friend to attend a science
> > fiction convention. Its a bit of a schlep from Orange County, but not
> > nearly as long as a cross country trip to Manhattan! Is that place still
> > there? I heard it was popular with the local show business celebrities.

> You're probably thinking of Nate 'n Al's. It's a small, usually
> crowded, kosher-style deli that is indeed popular with celebrities.
> Good food in general, but it doesn't get the same corned beef or
> pastrami that Langers does. -aem

There are very few kosher delis left, and like I said previously there
hasn't been a kosher deli grand opening in over twenty years... when
one closes that's it, finished. Why, no one knows how to anymore. I
know how to, but not only am I too old, even were it thirty years ago I
wouldn't, and I had all the chances I wanted, kosher delis handed to
me, free, for nothing. Had I called Jack Lebewohl and said who I was,
told him who my father and grandfather were, I bet had I asked he'd
have handed me the keys.

Right, Nate n' Al's is not Kosher.

http://www.epinions.com/rest-Restaurants-All-Nate_n_Al_s/display_~reviews

Langers is not kosher either.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelgui...=AkAW7zUup.H0EpFjai3Bv4A8FmoL?action=describe

During the '60s I frequented Canter's on Fairfax, that's not kosher
either.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2810897-canter_s_fairfax_los_angeles-i

I think there's maybe one Kosher deli in all of California, Pico
Kosher Deli

http://www.rccvaad.org/retail.htm

There's no comparison between Kosher Delis and Kosher-Style Delis...
like comparing bagels n' lox to pepperoni pizza.

Sheldon

Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

>Do any of your New Yorkers know what the real story is behind the
>closing of the 2nd Ave. Deli last month? I just saw a posting on another
>newsgroup that said it closed. Sure enough, a google search found a
>story about it at
>
>http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/01/05/2nd_avenue_deli.php

>but the story was scant on details. From what this report said, the
>owner balked at paying a rent increase and footing the bill to renovate
>the building to meet modern code, but I suspect there's more involved. I

Yes. I was sitting around talking to people at B&H deli several
weeks ago on this topic, and the sense was that it is probably
a takeover, i.e. the landlord figures they can operate a similar deli
in the same space, and so set the rent prohibitively high to
get the tenant out.

Whether this is true or speculation, who knows.

Steve

Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

>> Well I am mourning the demise of 2nd Avenue Deli. Mainly because I've not
>> made it there. I'm not a New Yorker but it has always been a goal to eat
>> there. According to friends, the Katz deli is now the place.

>Not really... Katz's Deli is not kosher.

Moreover they're not the same style of place. Katz's is a
sort of steam table place with meal tickets.

The only meat kosher restaurant left in New York City that is
Jewish deli in style (and I worded that very carefully) that I can
think of is Fine and Shapiro, and most people would probably have
preferred 2nd Ave. (Although Fine and Shapiro is more authentically
kosher.)

Steve
Steve

Steve Pope wrote:
> Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> >> Well I am mourning the demise of 2nd Avenue Deli. Mainly because I've not
> >> made it there. I'm not a New Yorker but it has always been a goal to eat
> >> there. According to friends, the Katz deli is now the place.

> >Not really... Katz's Deli is not kosher.

> Moreover they're not the same style of place. Katz's is a
> sort of steam table place with meal tickets.
>
> The only meat kosher restaurant left in New York City that is
> Jewish deli in style (and I worded that very carefully) that I can
> think of is Fine and Shapiro, and most people would probably have
> preferred 2nd Ave. (Although Fine and Shapiro is more authentically
> kosher.)
>
> Steve
> Steve

Hmm, wrote your name twice, in line with your double talk... whaddaya
mean "more authentically kosher", is that like more authentically
pregnant... and "Fine & Shapiro 138 W. 72nd St (212) 877-2874" is no
kind of deli.

Sheldon

Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> The only meat kosher restaurant left in New York City that is
>> Jewish deli in style (and I worded that very carefully) that I can
>> think of is Fine and Shapiro, and most people would probably have
>> preferred 2nd Ave. (Although Fine and Shapiro is more authentically
>> kosher.)
>>
>> Steve
>> Steve

>Hmm, wrote your name twice, in line with your double talk... whaddaya
>mean "more authentically kosher", is that like more authentically
>pregnant... and "Fine & Shapiro 138 W. 72nd St (212) 877-2874" is no
>kind of deli.

F&S is more authentically kosher than 2nd Ave was because
they closed on the Sabbath and for several days over Jewish
holidays. Some considered 2nd avenue "tourist kosher".
I don't have a problem with either, but there is a distinction.

Something like a pastrami and choppped liver would be better
at F&S but 2nd Ave. had the edge on corned beef and overall
niceness.

Steve

Steve Pope wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >Steve Pope wrote:

> >> The only meat kosher restaurant left in New York City that is
> >> Jewish deli in style (and I worded that very carefully) that I can
> >> think of is Fine and Shapiro, and most people would probably have
> >> preferred 2nd Ave. (Although Fine and Shapiro is more authentically
> >> kosher.)
> >>
> >> Steve
> >> Steve

> >Hmm, wrote your name twice, in line with your double talk... whaddaya
> >mean "more authentically kosher", is that like more authentically
> >pregnant... and "Fine & Shapiro 138 W. 72nd St (212) 877-2874" is no
> >kind of deli.

> F&S is more authentically kosher than 2nd Ave was because
> they closed on the Sabbath and for several days over Jewish
> holidays. Some considered 2nd avenue "tourist kosher".
> I don't have a problem with either, but there is a distinction.
>
> Something like a pastrami and choppped liver would be better
> at F&S but 2nd Ave. had the edge on corned beef and overall
> niceness.

That's all arguable. But you keep dancing/oozing away from the
point... the fact that F & S is *not* a Deli. There are many kosher
restaurants, all kinds; dairy, pizzerias, Chinese, vegetarian, and
restaurants like F&S, but there are very few kosher delis.

Btw, except for a few Chinatown joints every ethnic restaurant in
Manhattan is a "tourist eatery", none are very good and most are
downright rotten... for good ethnic foods one needs to go to Brooklyn,
and Queens, and even those are more and more becoming ****. Things are
quickly approaching the point where all the best ethnic foods are from
fast food joints and chains, sad.

Sheldon

Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

>> F&S is more authentically kosher than 2nd Ave was because
>> they closed on the Sabbath and for several days over Jewish
>> holidays. Some considered 2nd avenue "tourist kosher".
>> I don't have a problem with either, but there is a distinction.
>>
>> Something like a pastrami and choppped liver would be better
>> at F&S but 2nd Ave. had the edge on corned beef and overall
>> niceness.

>That's all arguable. But you keep dancing/oozing away from the
>point... the fact that F & S is *not* a Deli. There are many kosher
>restaurants, all kinds; dairy, pizzerias, Chinese, vegetarian, and
>restaurants like F&S, but there are very few kosher delis.

Why do you keep saying F&S is not a deli?

I'm not a total expert, and I haven't been there in perhaps
four years, but it is (or was) definitely a deli. Meat kosher,
menu similar to 2nd Ave.

Is there some fine distinction I am missing?

Steve

Steve Pope wrote:>

> Why do you keep saying F&S is not a deli?
>
> I'm not a total expert, and I haven't been there in perhaps
> four years, but it is (or was) definitely a deli. Meat kosher,
> menu similar to 2nd Ave.
>
> Is there some fine distinction I am missing?

There are many distinctions. There is no counter, meats are not sold
by the pound, and many of the products that delis typically sell are
not sold there... it's a very different style of eatery. Delis do most
of their business with their counter trade, delicatessens typically do
more take out than eat in. There are all sorts of delicatessens,
German, Italian, Polish.. they're not the same as their counterpart
restaurants... F&S is a restaurant. And the big tip off is F&S is not
listed as a deli, they don't call themself a deli, and they're not.

Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:>

>> Why do you keep saying F&S is not a deli?

>There are many distinctions. There is no counter, meats are not sold
>by the pound, and many of the products that delis typically sell are
>not sold there... it's a very different style of eatery. Delis do most
>of their business with their counter trade, delicatessens typically do
>more take out than eat in. There are all sorts of delicatessens,
>German, Italian, Polish.. they're not the same as their counterpart
>restaurants... F&S is a restaurant. And the big tip off is F&S is not
>listed as a deli, they don't call themself a deli, and they're not.

Thank you.

You'll be happy to know there's no consensus on the points
you are making. For example, the customer at B&H deli I was
talking to recently considered F&S to be a deli ("The last one
on the west side") but does not regard B&H as a deli -- even
though it has a counter, and has won the "Best Kosher Deli"
award from Time Out New York for the past several years.

BTW F&S does a very large takeout business. Everytime I've
eaten there, they are processing large amounts of takeout
and delivery orders.

As for "calling oneself a deli"... half of the bodegas in NYC
call themselves delicatessans. Doesn't mean jill.

Steve