2nd Avenue Deli Update :o(

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Margaret Suran, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. On Wed 11 Jan 2006 05:29:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
    Suran?

    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html

    Margaret, that page would open for me. I also tried a search on the New York
    Times website, but no hits for current story.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

  3. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Wed 11 Jan 2006 05:29:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Margaret
    > Suran?
    >

    >>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html

    > Margaret, that page would open for me. I also tried a search on the New York
    > Times website, but no hits for current story.

    I sent you a copy of the article via the New York Times. I hope
    that you will get it.

  4. Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html
    >
    > I saw something on the news about it but it was clear as mud.
    > What does the article say?

    If nobody can see the article, here it is printed out. Sorry for the
    inconvenience of not being able to see it the first time.

    From Today's New York Times Metro Section

    January 11, 2006
    If Second Avenue Deli Reopens, It Won't Be Where It Was
    By ANDY NEWMAN and COLIN MOYNIHAN

    Any lingering hopes that the Second Avenue Deli might reopen sometime
    soon were carted away yesterday, along with the sign, the awning and
    much of the kitchen equipment.

    The deli's owner, Jack Lebewohl, facing a scheduled $9,000-a-month
    rent increase, closed shop on New Year's Day, saying he might reopen
    if he could negotiate a lower rent. Yesterday, as workers dismantled
    the temple of corned beef that his brother founded 51 years ago, Mr.
    Lebewohl said the deli was now history, at least at its first and only
    location at the corner of Second Avenue and 10th Street.

    He said he did not know what would come next.

    "Everything is on the table," Mr. Lebewohl said as he stood beneath
    the metal skeleton that the awning once covered. "Everything is a
    possibility."

    Mr. Lebewohl said last week that he had received offers from potential
    landlords elsewhere in the city. But he said yesterday that he planned
    to give away some of the deli's signature decorations - a big clock
    with Hebrew numerals to his synagogue and a mirrored sign with the
    name of his brother, Abe Lebewohl, who was murdered in 1996, to Abe's
    children.

    The fate of the old sign with the word "deli" spelled out in light
    bulbs is uncertain, Mr. Lebewohl said.

    There is other unfinished business. A principal of one of the
    companies that own the building, Martin Newman, said that Mr. Lebewohl
    owed $107,000 in back rent and other charges and that eviction
    proceedings had begun even before the deli closed.

    Mr. Newman said that the future of the 2,800-square-foot space (with a
    full basement) remained to be seen. "Traditionally in Manhattan,
    restaurants pay the highest rent per square foot," he said. "Whether
    it will go to another use, I don't know."

    A legendary institution may have died, but in the commercial real
    estate business, the period of mourning is notably brief.

    "We are getting calls from operators interested in taking over the
    space," Mr. Newman said. "Some of them are kosher deli operators."

  5. limey

    limey Guest

    "Margaret Suran" wrote:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html

    I could open the article, Margaret. I think you have to be registered at
    the NY Times to access any of their material.

    Sorry about the 2nd Avenue Deli, since there have been so many glowing
    references on r.f.c. If they do reopen, hopefully it will be easy to reach.
    Sounds as though he has a big debt to overcome, though.

    Dora

  6. limey wrote:
    > "Margaret Suran" wrote:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html
    >
    > I could open the article, Margaret. I think you have to be registered at
    > the NY Times to access any of their material.
    >
    > Sorry about the 2nd Avenue Deli, since there have been so many glowing
    > references on r.f.c. If they do reopen, hopefully it will be easy to reach.
    > Sounds as though he has a big debt to overcome, though.
    >
    > Dora

    Hi, Dora. Thank you for your kind thoughts and words. The Lebewohls
    are charitable, generous people and I always thought of them as being
    very well off.

    But since 9/11, there has been a very noticeable loss of business.
    Where there was usually a line of customers waiting to be seated, the
    line extending out the door during lunch and dinner time and I have
    not seen anything like that since that unhappy day. For the last five
    years, I was always either seated right away, no matter what time of
    day, or had to wait for a matter of minutes. I guess that even a
    place like the 2nd Ave. Deli could not cope with losing so much
    business. It took too much long for the clean-up after 9/11 and many
    former customers found new eating facilities to replace the Deli.

    I hope that the Deli will relocate, but it really seems as if Jack
    Lebewohl was ready and waiting to shutter the restaurant. :eek:( In all
    the interviews I saw on local TV, there was little hope expressed for
    a new deli. Someone else who may open in the old location, but it
    will not be the same. The 2nd Ave Deli was the last of What It Used
    To Be Like.

  7. On Wed 11 Jan 2006 06:18:25a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Wed 11 Jan 2006 05:29:20a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Margaret Suran?
    >>

    >>>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html

    >> Margaret, that page would open for me. I also tried a search on the
    >> New York Times website, but no hits for current story.
    >>

    > I sent you a copy of the article via the New York Times. I hope
    > that you will get it.

    Thank you, Margaret! I just checked my e-mail and I did receive it. This
    is all very disappointing and sad news. I keep hoping...

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  8. On Wed 11 Jan 2006 09:13:42a, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > limey wrote:
    >> "Margaret Suran" wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html
    >>
    >> I could open the article, Margaret. I think you have to be registered
    >> at the NY Times to access any of their material.
    >>
    >> Sorry about the 2nd Avenue Deli, since there have been so many glowing
    >> references on r.f.c. If they do reopen, hopefully it will be easy to
    >> reach. Sounds as though he has a big debt to overcome, though.
    >>
    >> Dora
    >>

    > Hi, Dora. Thank you for your kind thoughts and words. The Lebewohls
    > are charitable, generous people and I always thought of them as being
    > very well off.
    >
    > But since 9/11, there has been a very noticeable loss of business.
    > Where there was usually a line of customers waiting to be seated, the
    > line extending out the door during lunch and dinner time and I have
    > not seen anything like that since that unhappy day. For the last five
    > years, I was always either seated right away, no matter what time of
    > day, or had to wait for a matter of minutes. I guess that even a
    > place like the 2nd Ave. Deli could not cope with losing so much
    > business. It took too much long for the clean-up after 9/11 and many
    > former customers found new eating facilities to replace the Deli.
    >
    > I hope that the Deli will relocate, but it really seems as if Jack
    > Lebewohl was ready and waiting to shutter the restaurant. :eek:( In all
    > the interviews I saw on local TV, there was little hope expressed for
    > a new deli. Someone else who may open in the old location, but it
    > will not be the same. The 2nd Ave Deli was the last of What It Used
    > To Be Like.

    It is very sad, indeed. I hadn't thought until now how much impact 9/11
    may have had on many businesses, especially since the recovery period took
    so long. It will be a shame if it cannot reopen.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  9. Margaret Suran <[email protected]> looking for trouble
    wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I hope that the Deli will relocate, but it really seems as if Jack
    > Lebewohl was ready and waiting to shutter the restaurant. :eek:( In all
    > the interviews I saw on local TV, there was little hope expressed for
    > a new deli. Someone else who may open in the old location, but it
    > will not be the same. The 2nd Ave Deli was the last of What It Used
    > To Be Like.

    I am really bummed out by this. Margaret, do you remember sending me the
    2nd Avenue Deli cookbook after I got out of the hospital? You talked to
    Jack and you sent me a cookbook in which he inscribed, to me, the nicest
    note of encourangement. I treasure that book because it was from you AND
    had a terrific inscription from Jack. I have 2 of the books now. You
    sent me another one (for my birthday I think) without an inscription ;) I
    gots two of 'em. One to lock up and save and the other to use.

    Michael

    --
    Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
    Hoot about to snatch the snack out of my mouth:

    Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
    http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

  10. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:13:42 -0500, Margaret Suran
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I hope that the Deli will relocate, but it really seems as if Jack
    >Lebewohl was ready and waiting to shutter the restaurant. :eek:( In all
    >the interviews I saw on local TV, there was little hope expressed for
    >a new deli. Someone else who may open in the old location, but it
    >will not be the same. The 2nd Ave Deli was the last of What It Used
    >To Be Like.

    It's too bad he didn't try to pass the torch to someone else. Thank
    you Margaret for getting many rfc-ers there in time.

    Sue(tm)

  11. me

    me Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "limey" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Margaret Suran" wrote:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11deli.html
    >
    > I could open the article, Margaret. I think you have to be registered at
    > the NY Times to access any of their material.

    You pretty much have to be registered (free) for anything beyond the
    home page. I will say that I have never been spammed by them or
    anyone I could trace to that registration, so it's pretty safe. The
    new TimesSelect program, though, moves some content off the site
    pretty quickly, so if you see something you want to read, don't
    tarry.

    > Sorry about the 2nd Avenue Deli, since there have been so many glowing
    > references on r.f.c. If they do reopen, hopefully it will be easy to reach.
    > Sounds as though he has a big debt to overcome, though.

    In the NYT article from when he initially closed the Deli, Lebewohl
    stated that the place needed "several hundred thousand dollars" of
    renovation to meet Board of Health regulations. So aside from
    whatever back rent he may owe, he had those costs as well.

    sd

  12. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:16:31 -0600, me <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..

    >In the NYT article from when he initially closed the Deli, Lebewohl
    >stated that the place needed "several hundred thousand dollars" of
    >renovation to meet Board of Health regulations. So aside from
    >whatever back rent he may owe, he had those costs as well.
    >
    >sd

    The wife of a co-worker knows Lebewhol, called him, and he swore to
    her, not more that a few weeks ago, that the shut down was temporary.
    The NYT article makes that seem impossible, though.

    Boron

  13. me wrote:

    > You pretty much have to be registered (free) for anything beyond the
    > home page. I will say that I have never been spammed by them or
    > anyone I could trace to that registration, so it's pretty safe. The

    Bug Me Not is your friend in cases like this: www.bugmenot.com

    People share registrations for these types of sites through there.

  14. Margaret wrote:

    >If nobody can see the article, here it is
    > printed out. Sorry for the inconvenience
    > of not being able to see it the first time.

    I was able to read it just fine.

    Elaine

  15. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Elaine Goldberg wrote:
    > Margaret wrote:
    >
    > >If nobody can see the article, here it is
    > > printed out. Sorry for the inconvenience
    > > of not being able to see it the first time.

    > I was able to read it just fine.

    Me too.