2nd Hand Bikes & Parts Listing

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by powinc, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Here are some 2nd hand bikes and parts listings that I have gathered recently.

    http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=bc&i=68
    This site is a sub section of a general classifieds website. The listings can be sorted by: listing, price and date.

    http://www.jub.com.au/marketplace/
    This site does not seem to attract many new listings.

    http://www.jub.com.au/marketplace/
    This site seems the best for new listings. But the site drops out every now and then.

    http://listings.ebay.com.au/plistings/list/all/category7294/index.html?from=R4
    Ebay, what more can I say, but don’t pay $2000 for a bike and expect it to arrive quickly from Nigeria.

    http://www.tradingpost.com.au
    The Trading Post, an institution for bargain hunters for decades, but sadly does not list mountain bikes and road bikes separately. Updated every Thrusday?

    http://www.tritrade.twotanksdesign.com/
    This site has various categories, which attracts a couple of new listings each day.

    http://www.cycle2max.com/c2m/forsale.nsf/Fsale_nav_main?OpenForm&Start=1&Count=1000&ExpandView&Seq=1
    This site seems to have listings from Australia, but it’s a bit hard to tell?

    There are (of course) lots of dealer sites with some 2nd hand listings, but they don’t seem to be updated much.

    Thanks to PiledHigher, bigW, Cletus75 & Nick Payne for their help.

    powinc

    Tags:

  2. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "powinc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Here are some 2nd hand bikes and parts listings that I have gathered recently.

    Thanks for that list.. I hope it gets regurgitated often so it's useful or included in the FAQ. Who
    was maintaining the faq again?

    Hey, I could put some of this stuff on www.thehippy.net if you want? FAQ included.. is it
    hosted anywhere?

    hippy
    - proud of my new domain :)

  3. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    hippy
    - proud of my new domain :) [/B][/QUOTE]

    not a bad site hippy. Your obviously into the GT's. I have a 98 GT Avalanche MTB that I truly can't fault. It handles big hits with ablomb

  4. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Go ahead Hippy

    You can list the listing on any list you like.

    powinc

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "its_stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hippy
    > - proud of my new domain :)
    >
    > not a bad site hippy. Your obviously into the GT's. I have a 98 GT Avalanche MTB that I truly
    > can't fault. It handles big hits with ablomb

    Nah. I'm proud of the domain name, not the website. Any hack could do that.. I just don't like web
    design so I don't bother :)

    I'm into anything with 2 wheels and no engine that doesn't come from kmart, etc. ;-) I bought the GT
    cheap 2nd-hand and I finally converted it into a singlespeed as per my original plan. It's great for
    ss'ing but damn I drool over any nice, light, steel frame with disc mounts and nice paintjob...

    hippy

  6. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "its_stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > hippy
    > > - proud of my new domain :)
    > >
    > > not a bad site hippy. Your obviously into the GT's. I have a 98 GT Avalanche MTB that I truly
    > > can't fault. It handles big hits with ablomb
    >
    > Nah. I'm proud of the domain name, not the website. Any hack could do that.. I just don't like web
    > design so I don't bother :)
    >
    > I'm into anything with 2 wheels and no engine that doesn't come from kmart, etc. ;-) I bought the
    > GT cheap 2nd-hand and I finally converted it into a singlespeed as per my original plan. It's
    > great for ss'ing but damn I drool over any nice, light, steel frame with disc mounts and nice
    > paintjob...

    Why steel frame MTB? Do you not trust the strength of Al bikes for the heavy rider?

    (My Yukon 2004 Al frame has held up so far OK - I oval'ed the back rim however from doing bunny hops
    with 65PSI tyres on - oh well - you got to have fun! I now have a set of Syncros Altrax rims from
    Ebay to put on their when spokes break again...)

    I have been hitting the yarra trails of late, and am gonig OK (although one stretch lost me my bidon
    - it shook out of the holder).

    Tim

  7. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why steel frame MTB? Do you not trust the strength of Al bikes for the
    heavy
    > rider?

    No, nothing like that. I have a few alu bikes (road and mtb). Steel is real though or so most SS'ers
    say. Often with no suspension, a more compliant frame is wanted and people choose steel for this
    reason, even though afaik it's the frame design that makes most of the difference to this property.
    Steel is easier to repair and easier to find a repairer and doesn't have the same failure mode as
    alu, so it should bend not break. But all of this is irrelevant - the main reason for going steel is
    because most of the boutique singlespeed frame builders use either steel or titanium and I don't
    think I can afford ti! ;-)

    > (My Yukon 2004 Al frame has held up so far OK - I oval'ed the back rim however from doing bunny
    > hops with 65PSI tyres on - oh well - you got
    > have fun! I now have a set of Syncros Altrax rims from Ebay to put on
    their
    > when spokes break again...)

    My alu Avanti's back wheel has just been rebuilt (along with the drivetrain). This was more to do
    with poor factory-tensioned wheels and then even poorer hippy-spoke replacements than being
    aluminium.

    > I have been hitting the yarra trails of late, and am gonig OK
    (although one
    > stretch lost me my bidon - it shook out of the holder).

    Camelbak! I use my bidon for road rides and shorter mtb stuff
    (i.e. commutes), but for anything in the bush that's longer than an hour I use a Camelbak - they're
    great. Holds spares and tools too as well as food, phone and camera.

    hippy

  8. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Why steel frame MTB? Do you not trust the strength of Al bikes for the
    > heavy
    > > rider?
    >
    > No, nothing like that. I have a few alu bikes (road and mtb). Steel is real though or so most
    > SS'ers say. Often with no suspension, a more compliant frame is wanted and people choose steel for
    > this reason, even though afaik it's the frame design that makes most of the difference to this
    > property. Steel is easier to repair and easier to find a repairer and doesn't have the same
    > failure mode as alu, so it should bend not break. But all of this is irrelevant - the main reason
    > for going steel is because most of the boutique singlespeed frame builders use either steel or
    > titanium and I don't think I can afford ti! ;-)
    >
    > > (My Yukon 2004 Al frame has held up so far OK - I oval'ed the back rim however from doing bunny
    > > hops with 65PSI tyres on - oh well - you got
    > > have fun! I now have a set of Syncros Altrax rims from Ebay to put on
    > their
    > > when spokes break again...)
    >
    > My alu Avanti's back wheel has just been rebuilt (along with the drivetrain). This was more to do
    > with poor factory-tensioned wheels and then even poorer hippy-spoke replacements than being
    > aluminium.
    >
    > > I have been hitting the yarra trails of late, and am gonig OK
    > (although one
    > > stretch lost me my bidon - it shook out of the holder).
    >
    > Camelbak! I use my bidon for road rides and shorter mtb stuff
    > (i.e. commutes), but for anything in the bush that's longer than an hour I use a Camelbak -
    > they're great. Holds spares and tools too as well as food, phone and camera.

    Well, I do the Yarra trails as part of my commute (I manage to stretch the
    8.5km from Ashburton to Hawthorn out to 34km including about 8-10km off-road), and as such, I have
    my backpack with laptop and swimming/showering stuff in. No room for a camelback!

    Although with a chest infection ATM, I am not doing a lot of riding...

    Tim

  9. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I do the Yarra trails as part of my commute (I manage to stretch
    the
    > 8.5km from Ashburton to Hawthorn out to 34km including about 8-10km

    Nice! :)

    > off-road), and as such, I have my backpack with laptop and swimming/showering stuff in. No room
    > for a camelback!

    You ride off-road with a laptop! Keen... is it work's laptop? :)

    You wouldn't happen to know much about laptops would you? I'm thinking about buying one for my next
    overseas trip to use for digital photos and internet access. I want small, light, tough and cheap
    (yeah, I know all about the light, strong, cheap, pick any two idea..). I'm a pc user but a Mac
    would be fun.. cheaper than Sony's Vaio stuff too. IBM doesn't seem to make small ones.. I'll head
    to aus.computers now... ;-)

    > Although with a chest infection ATM, I am not doing a lot of riding...

    Mend soon.

    hippy

  10. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I do the Yarra trails as part of my commute (I manage to stretch
    > the
    > > 8.5km from Ashburton to Hawthorn out to 34km including about 8-10km
    >
    > Nice! :)
    >
    > > off-road), and as such, I have my backpack with laptop and swimming/showering stuff in. No room
    > > for a camelback!
    >
    > You ride off-road with a laptop! Keen... is it work's laptop? :)
    >
    > You wouldn't happen to know much about laptops would you? I'm thinking about buying one for my
    > next overseas trip to use for digital photos and internet access. I want small, light, tough and
    > cheap (yeah, I know all about the light, strong, cheap, pick any two idea..). I'm a pc user but a
    > Mac would be fun.. cheaper than Sony's Vaio stuff too. IBM doesn't seem to make small ones.. I'll
    > head to aus.computers now... ;-)
    >
    > > Although with a chest infection ATM, I am not doing a lot of riding...
    >
    > Mend soon.

    For an overseas trip, there are a couple of other options than laptops...

    You could go for an HP IPAQ, and couple it with a PCMCIA card sleeve that will allow you have a card
    reader for your camera card (only SD/MMC available in the unit itself), a modem card (for getting
    onto the internet) and a hard drive card (for storing all your photos). You can get 4 or 10GB cards
    to carry heaps of photos as well as acting as a handy MP3 store.

    This would work out well for travelling, as you get good battery life, you can buy more batteries
    (although they can be a tad expensive), you can use it easily anywhere (including playing games or
    listening to MP3's on the plane/rail/bus), is light and easy to carry and is expandible with a
    large range of software and hardware (including a GPS and mapping software for many cities around
    the world).

    All in all, a good option.

    Secondly, there are also small drives that you can download files off your camera card to - they can
    also play MP3's, but do nothing else.

    A top of the line IPAQ would set you back about $1150 new, the expansion case about $200, the drive
    about $400, modem card about $50. You can also get a foldable keyboard for about $100 or so as well.

    The MP3 player option would set you back probably about $500.

    A 12" notebook (Sony's one, or the Mac one) will start somewhere in the $2,500 mark.

    Where are you heading to?

    Tim

  11. or go for a TPG notebook... www.tpg.com.au/online

    found it by accident earlier today...

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Well, I do the Yarra trails as part of my commute (I manage to stretch
    > > the
    > > > 8.5km from Ashburton to Hawthorn out to 34km including about 8-10km
    > >
    > > Nice! :)
    > >
    > > > off-road), and as such, I have my backpack with laptop and swimming/showering stuff in. No
    > > > room for a camelback!
    > >
    > > You ride off-road with a laptop! Keen... is it work's laptop? :)
    > >
    > > You wouldn't happen to know much about laptops would you? I'm thinking about buying one for my
    > > next overseas trip to use for digital photos and internet access. I want small, light, tough and
    > > cheap (yeah, I know all about the light, strong, cheap, pick any two idea..). I'm a pc user but
    > > a Mac would be fun.. cheaper than Sony's Vaio stuff too. IBM doesn't seem to make small ones..
    > > I'll head to aus.computers now... ;-)
    > >
    > > > Although with a chest infection ATM, I am not doing a lot of riding...
    > >
    > > Mend soon.
    > >

    > For an overseas trip, there are a couple of other options than laptops...
    >
    > You could go for an HP IPAQ, and couple it with a PCMCIA card sleeve that will allow you have a
    > card reader for your camera card (only SD/MMC available in the unit itself), a modem card (for
    > getting onto the
    internet)
    > and a hard drive card (for storing all your photos). You can get 4 or 10GB cards to carry heaps of
    > photos as well as acting as a handy MP3 store.
    >
    > This would work out well for travelling, as you get good battery life, you can buy more batteries
    > (although they can be a tad expensive), you can use it easily anywhere (including playing games or
    > listening to MP3's on the plane/rail/bus), is light and easy to carry and is expandible with a
    > large range of software and hardware (including a GPS and mapping software for many cities around
    > the world).
    >
    > All in all, a good option.
    >
    > Secondly, there are also small drives that you can download files off your camera card to - they
    > can also play MP3's, but do nothing else.
    >
    > A top of the line IPAQ would set you back about $1150 new, the expansion case about $200, the
    > drive about $400, modem card about $50. You can also get a foldable keyboard for about $100 or so
    > as well.
    >
    > The MP3 player option would set you back probably about $500.
    >
    > A 12" notebook (Sony's one, or the Mac one) will start somewhere in the $2,500 mark.
    >
    > Where are you heading to?
    >
    > Tim

  12. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You could go for an HP IPAQ, and couple it with a PCMCIA card sleeve
    that
    > will allow you have a card reader for your camera card (only SD/MMC available in the unit itself),
    > a modem card (for getting onto the
    internet)
    > and a hard drive card (for storing all your photos). You can get 4 or
    10GB
    > cards to carry heaps of photos as well as acting as a handy MP3 store.

    I like your idea of a smaller solution but handhelds have always been a pain in the butt for me.
    Browsing the internet on a 6" is quite annoying and entering text is much slower than I can type on
    a laptop. Increased battery life and smaller size are nice, but I would probably go for a portable
    burner/card reader and use internet cafes before I bought a handheld. A laptop would also make a
    handy desktop machine on return to Oz.

    > Where are you heading to?

    At the moment it's looking like: Germany, Italy, Ireland and Scotland.

    cheers! hippy

  13. Juz

    Juz Guest

    >>> I'm a pc user but a Mac would be fun.. cheaper than Sony's Vaio stuff too. IBM doesn't seem to
    >>> make small ones.. I'll head to aus.computers now... ;-)

    <snip>

    >> A top of the line IPAQ would set you back about $1150 new, the expansion case about $200, the
    >> drive about $400, modem card about $50. You can also get a foldable keyboard for about $100 or so
    >> as well.
    >>
    >> The MP3 player option would set you back probably about $500.
    >>
    >> A 12" notebook (Sony's one, or the Mac one) will start somewhere in the $2,500 mark.

    Where are you shopping for your Macs? $2500 is WAY above the odds for a 12" Mac laptop. I just
    bought a new G4-processor 12" iBook and the price for those babies starts at $1900. These iBooks
    have rugged polycarbonate cases - fantastic for lugging in a backpack or pannier, and the small size
    is brilliant for portability. They come with: 256MB RAM, 30GB HDD, Built in DVD-CD drive/CD burner &
    on-board modem. So you don't need to buy any extras to have a superbly functional computer (unlike
    Windoze PCs where you need to add cards galore to get the same result as a Mac out of the box).

    Plus if you want an MP3 player, go for the best & get an iPod, and it will work like a charm
    with your Mac!

    Just one thing: if you're thinking of buying Mac, don't go to Next Byte -- their sales staff suck
    (as I just found out to my chagrin) :(

    Juz

  14. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    $1899 for the 12" iBook on www.apple.com.au The cheapest Sony I saw Vaio PCGFR820 $2200.

    iPods look awesome, but did you hear about this? http://tinyurl.com/xli3 and
    http://Ipodsdirtysecret.com

    > Just one thing: if you're thinking of buying Mac, don't go to Next
    Byte --
    > their sales staff suck (as I just found out to my chagrin) :(

    Where are Next Byte?

    hippy

  15. Juz

    Juz Guest

    >> Plus if you want an MP3 player, go for the best & get an iPod, and it
    > will
    >> work like a charm with your Mac!
    >
    > iPods look awesome, but did you hear about this? http://tinyurl.com/xli3 and
    > http://Ipodsdirtysecret.com

    Hmmm... hadn't seen that before. But my personal policy is always to go for the extended warranty
    option on any hardware. The small up-front outlay often pays dividends in the long run. And the guys
    who built the iPod battery website say in their "letter" that they think that Apple's new warranty
    options are fair.

    >> Just one thing: if you're thinking of buying Mac, don't go to Next
    > Byte --
    >> their sales staff suck (as I just found out to my chagrin) :(
    >
    > Where are Next Byte?
    >
    > hippy

    towards the market from Cecil Walker. To cut a long story short, the reason that I am p&ss*d at them
    is that I bought an ex-demo G3 model iBook, but 2 days after I bought it Apple released the new
    model G4 line of iBooks. I could have got a better spec'ed new machine for $100 LESS than I paid for
    the ex-demo. So I took my ex-demo back and asked to swap it for a new machine, since I was quite
    annoyed that the saleswombat didn't tell me that a new model was about to drop. (He claimed that
    they had no idea about the new model until the boxes arrived on the doorstep -- but I find that very
    hard to believe). They were happy to swap it, but charged me 10% restocking fee on the ex-demo
    machine. So in a nutshell I got the better machine, but it cost me a $200 restocking fee, so I paid
    $2100 for a $1900 computer. I'll be writing to their CEO to complain, but not sure how it'll go.

  16. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> A top of the line IPAQ would set you back about $1150 new, the
    expansion
    > >> case about $200, the drive about $400, modem card about $50. You can
    also
    > >> get a foldable keyboard for about $100 or so as well.
    > >>
    > >> The MP3 player option would set you back probably about $500.
    > >>
    > >> A 12" notebook (Sony's one, or the Mac one) will start somewhere in the $2,500 mark.
    > >>

    > Where are you shopping for your Macs? $2500 is WAY above the odds for a
    12"
    > Mac laptop.

    Sorry - haven't looked at prices of that sort of stuff for quite some time ;-)

    > I just bought a new G4-processor 12" iBook and the price for those babies starts at $1900. These
    > iBooks have rugged polycarbonate
    cases -
    > fantastic for lugging in a backpack or pannier, and the small size is brilliant for portability.
    > They come with: 256MB RAM, 30GB HDD, Built in DVD-CD drive/CD burner & on-board modem. So you
    > don't need to buy any
    extras
    > to have a superbly functional computer (unlike Windoze PCs where you need
    > add cards galore to get the same result as a Mac out of the box).
    >
    > Plus if you want an MP3 player, go for the best & get an iPod, and it will work like a charm with
    > your Mac!

    Could you use an iPod to download pictures to from a memory card?

    > Just one thing: if you're thinking of buying Mac, don't go to Next Byte -- their sales staff suck
    > (as I just found out to my chagrin) :(
    >
    > Juz

  17. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Where are you shopping for your Macs? $2500 is WAY above the odds
    for a
    > 12" Mac laptop.
    >
    > Sorry - haven't looked at prices of that sort of stuff for quite some
    time

    Quite some time in I.T. You mean two weeks then? ;-)

    > > Plus if you want an MP3 player, go for the best & get an iPod, and
    it will
    > > work like a charm with your Mac!
    >
    > Could you use an iPod to download pictures to from a memory card?

    <quote> Save a bundle on memory cards the next time you take your digital camera with you on
    vacation. When your card is full, simply transfer the images to your iPod via the handy Belkin Media
    Reader. The 40GB iPod holds 20,000 images (the equivalent of 160 256MB memory cards), the 20GB iPod
    holds 10,000 (80 cards) and the 10GB model holds 5,000 (40 cards). </quote> from:
    http://www.apple.com.au/ipod/

    hippy

  18. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Juz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BBF4A84A.A33E%[email protected]...
    > Hmmm... hadn't seen that before. But my personal policy is always to
    go for
    > the extended warranty option on any hardware. The small up-front
    outlay
    > often pays dividends in the long run. And the guys who built the iPod battery website say in their
    > "letter" that they think that Apple's new warranty options are fair.

    Hmm.. I never do that. If the item hasn't died in the normal warranty period it is unlikely that it
    will die soon after - at least with electrical stuff. By the time it does die (out of warranty)
    it'll be time to get the current latest and greatest anyway.

    > machine, but it cost me a $200 restocking fee, so I paid $2100 for a
    $1900
    > computer. I'll be writing to their CEO to complain, but not sure how
    it'll
    > go.

    Good luck, but I don't think they are obliged to inform customers of new models. It's basically a
    case of buyer beware or buyer - be informed. These days I don't buy anything expensive without at
    least a quick look for alternatives, release dates for the new model, that kind of thing. Not
    telling you about the new model is quite dodgy though and they've now scored themselves some bad
    vibes for it - I will be avoiding them now anyway.

    hippy

  19. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    > "Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Where are you shopping for your Macs? $2500 is WAY above the odds
    > for a
    > > 12" Mac laptop.
    > >
    > > Sorry - haven't looked at prices of that sort of stuff for quite some
    > time
    >
    > Quite some time in I.T. You mean two weeks then? ;-)
    >
    > > > Plus if you want an MP3 player, go for the best & get an iPod, and
    > it will
    > > > work like a charm with your Mac!
    > >
    > > Could you use an iPod to download pictures to from a memory card?
    >
    > <quote> Save a bundle on memory cards the next time you take your digital camera with you on
    > vacation. When your card is full, simply transfer the images to your iPod via the handy Belkin
    > Media Reader. The 40GB iPod holds 20,000 images (the equivalent of 160 256MB memory cards), the
    > 20GB iPod holds 10,000 (80 cards) and the 10GB model holds 5,000 (40 cards). </quote> from:
    > http://www.apple.com.au/ipod/

    Ah, that's pretty cool, as the iPods are small and apparently good MP3 players. Plus they have some
    calendaring tools, so you can write them off against tax as an organiser ;-)

    Do you listen to music while riding?

    I do, but enjoy the variety of radio (JJJ) than MP3's etc.

    Tim

  20. Hippy

    Hippy Guest