2nd road race - bit of an eye opener

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Davep, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davep

Davep Guest

I had my second road-race recently, a cat3/4 event.6 laps of a 10mile loop on the open road,
    including a nice hill towards the end. I stayed in the middle of the bunch, climbing the hill for
    the first time with everyone else. The second time I went up a little slower and on the brow as the
    pace quickened I found myself at the back of the bunch ( some others were further behind ) then 2
    metres off , then 3..... someone else dropped off and I caught him up and drafted for half a mile,
    then took a turn for 400yds. Then he went past and didn't seem interested in taking turns. I went
    past the finish line and thought "did I want another 40miles on my own, shall I wait for some other
    individuals or even the bunch or call it a day". Points, or loosing them, don't worry me yet as I've
    paid for a day licence each time. I was prepared in the event of being dropped, to work with some
    others to finish, to treat it as a hard training run but couldn't see anyone coming up behind. I got
    talking to someone who was spectating and decided to quit and we watched the race from the top of
    the hill for a couple of laps. I kind of regret not carrying on (is racing the best form of
    training? ) and seeing my name on the result sheet but it was good experience and I know I need some
    harder training in my legs ...and pounds off my middle, a nice lightweight bike, a larger ticker :)
    I'm looking at a couple of cat4 only closed circuit events next as I believe I may have jumped in to
    this 60miler a bit quick. btw, most laps averaged 25mph.

davep

Tags:

2. Mark Drayton

Mark Drayton Guest

In article <[email protected]>, davep wrote:
    > I had my second road-race recently, a cat3/4 event.6 laps of a 10mile loop on the open road,
    > including a nice hill towards the end.

[..]

> I may have jumped in to this 60miler a bit quick. btw, most laps averaged 25mph.

Where/what was this race? What was your first race?

Well done for trying, shame you had to drop out but 40 miles is a long way on your own!

Mark, first road race tonight..

3. Davep

Davep Guest

Mark Drayton wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, davep wrote:
    > > I had my second road-race recently, a cat3/4 event.6 laps of a 10mile loop on the open road,
    > > including a nice hill towards the end.
    >
    > [..]
    >
    > > I may have jumped in to this 60miler a bit quick. btw, most laps averaged 25mph.
    >
    > Where/what was this race?

It was a SurreyLeague RR. Norwood Hill , organised by Addiscombe CC

> What was your first race?

No. See my post of apr14

>
    >
    > Mark, first road race tonight..

good luck

davep

4. Dave Kahn

Dave Kahn Guest

davep <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I had my second road-race recently, a cat3/4 event.6 laps of a 10mile loop on the open road,
    > including a nice hill towards the end. I stayed in the middle of the bunch, climbing the hill for
    > the first time with everyone else. The second time I went up a little slower and on the brow as
    > the pace quickened I found myself at the back of the bunch ( some others were further behind )
    > then 2 metres off , then 3.....

Once you're off the back, particularly on lap 2 of 6, you'll be very lucky to get back on again.
    It'll only happen if the bunch slows right down for some reason as they occasionally do. You really
    need to put a big effort in immediately you realise you're slipping off the back.

> Points, or loosing them, don't worry me yet as I've paid for a day licence each time.

That's an expensive way to race. Get your Surrey League and BCF memberships in quick if you intend
    to carry on.

> I'm looking at a couple of cat4 only closed circuit events next as I believe I may have jumped in
    > to this 60miler a bit quick.

Probably, but you're actually not doing too badly. It takes most people a few races to be able to
    ride comfortably with the bunch. If you'd carried on riding you would probably have been lapped
    eventually and could have had a go at sticking in again. You would also have got a much better value
    work out, although it can be demoralising riding round on your own as I know from personal
    experience.

--
    Dave...

5. John B

John B Guest

Dave Kahn wrote:

> > I'm looking at a couple of cat4 only closed circuit events next as I believe I may have jumped
    > > in to this 60miler a bit quick.
    >
    > Probably, but you're actually not doing too badly. It takes most people a few races to be able to
    > ride comfortably with the bunch. If you'd carried on riding you would probably have been lapped
    > eventually and could have had a go at sticking in again. You would also have got a much better
    > value work out, although it can be demoralising riding round on your own as I know from personal
    > experience.

Hillingdon, Eastway, Goodwood and the Wednesday evening Eelmoor events all come to mind as
    suitable events.

John B

6. Mark Drayton

Mark Drayton Guest

In article <[email protected]>, davep wrote:
    >> Mark, first road race tonight..
    >
    > good luck

Thanks!

Turns out it wasn't too hard; I entered one of the regular Thursday night Barnsfield Heath
    [1] Handicap TLI [2] events. 13 laps of a 3 mile more-or-less flat circuit (couple of
    dips/short climbs).

After the nerves had gone (about a lap) I got into riding in the pack and managed to stay with the
    main bunch all the way to the finish. I think a group of fast riders might have gotten away at some
    point but all I could see was about 100 other people moving extremely fast!

Average speed was exactly 25mph; by far the quickest I've ever covered 39 miles!

I don't feel too bad today; popped out for a 10 mile recovery ride earlier. Depending on tomorrow's
    weather and how I feel I may enter the Sandie Radford memorial race at Nomansland, though I expect
    this will be much tougher.

Cheers,

Mark

[1] http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=411500&y=100500&z=3&sv=barnsfield+heath&st=3&tl=Barnsfi-
    eld+Heath,+Dorset+&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf
    [2] http://t-l-i.org/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.