2nd wind in tris?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rebecca Bishop, May 22, 2003.

  1. I am finding that I am very slow compared to other competitors in 'getting going' up to my full
    potential race pace in Olympic Distance and certainly sprint distance races.

    Example: I start off uncomfortable for a good 15' on the swim and then find that I have this second
    wind and am actually overtaking people by the end of the swim. On the bike, I suffer initally for
    about 15km (!), and finally start to get the power input into the pedals by half way...then find I'm
    overtaking everybody near the end. On the run ( weakest discipline), I struggle in the first 2 -3
    kms, but then find that at km 6 I'm getting into stride then start to power stride passed people but
    the race is over! ...and I always, always negative split in training and in races.

    Before races the day before or even two days before I have to warm my body up to race well on race
    day. My strength in biking was the Tours, as I got better results as the days went on...

    Does this mean that I could be a naturally 'long distance' triathlete? I can't change my
    physiology with a resting pulse of 28 beats a minute, but I might produce better results vs-vee my
    system in longer events. I am thinking of doing my first ever middle distance in August because of
    what I am thinking.

    Any body with some advice here?

    Rebecca

    Tags:

  2. coachFred

    coachFred Guest

    Thats pretty low rate.

    I think its more mental than physical. You *think* you're feeling crappy early on. Block it out and
    push harder. Doing negative splits tells me right there that you are dogging it early on.

    Your mental game needs improving so that you can push it harder early on.

    >Does this mean that I could be a naturally 'long distance' triathlete? I can't change my physiology
    >with a resting pulse of 28 beats a minute, but I might produce better results vs-vee my system in
    >longer events. I am thinking of doing my first ever middle distance in August because of what I am
    >thinking.

  3. Ravi Raman

    Ravi Raman Guest

    1. your resting pulse is really low. not sure what this means, but I would guess it isn't
    a bad thing

    2. do you do any higher intensity work during training? Try adding some intervals to your routine
    and see if that doesn't help.

    "Rebecca Bishop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am finding that I am very slow compared to other competitors in 'getting going' up to my full
    > potential race pace in Olympic Distance and certainly sprint distance races.
    >
    > Example: I start off uncomfortable for a good 15' on the swim and then
    find
    > that I have this second wind and am actually overtaking people by the end
    of
    > the swim. On the bike, I suffer initally for about 15km (!), and finally start to get the power
    > input into the pedals by half way...then find I'm overtaking everybody near the end. On the run (
    > weakest discipline), I struggle in the first 2 -3 kms, but then find that at km 6 I'm getting
    into
    > stride then start to power stride passed people but the race is over!
    ...and
    > I always, always negative split in training and in races.
    >
    > Before races the day before or even two days before I have to warm my body up to race well on race
    > day. My strength in biking was the Tours, as I got better results as the days went on...
    >
    > Does this mean that I could be a naturally 'long distance' triathlete? I can't change my
    > physiology with a resting pulse of 28 beats a minute, but
    > might produce better results vs-vee my system in longer events. I am thinking of doing my first
    > ever middle distance in August because of what
    > am thinking.
    >
    > Any body with some advice here?
    >
    > Rebecca

  4. Old Timer

    Old Timer Guest

    Rebecca, I'd be glad it wasn't the other way around if I were you. Its horrible to start out strong
    and finish weakly. Much worse than the what you experience!

    Do you do any serious warm up before race starts? Do you train the same way - starting out slowly
    and ramping up? I once counseled my coach about the same kind of issue - it was taking me 2 to 3
    hours on the bike before I felt fully up to operating temp. He suggested starting out harder
    initially and not taking as much time to warm up.

    I find that I wind up racing the same way I train - if its long and slow, well, I race long and
    slow. Same the other way around. If your initial training intensity is slow and you warm up to
    speed, your racing may be the same.

    Do you find your racing to be any different if you swim for 10 minutes or so before the race starts?
    Give it a try!

  5. Thanks for getting back to me on this issue - sorry not to have answered back sooner. At this tri at
    the weekend, I have found that I had a much better race if I warm up the day before for 1.5hrs and
    warm up in the morning half an hour and a good swim warm up before the race start - this helped
    tremendously when in the first part of the swim and the first10km of the bike. The running I think
    is indeed probably 'mental' as I have only been running since Feb. don't know my limits yet!

    Interval training 'stop start' does not work well for me because my system simply does not respond
    to such short intense sessions with abrupt rest. It seems to respond very well to intervals where
    the rest is active, i.e: swimming/cycling easily, then going hard again, but like my last track
    session, I improved a good 2 seconds on every lap (x10) 400m. Mind you, as I say, I am very
    inexperienced with running...

    So I realise from racing that: 1. I need to race more often; 2. I need to warm up VERY well.3. Need
    to keep my mental side in check to make sure I'm not having an 'easy day' on race day....still, I
    got on the podium!;-)

    Cheers R

    news:[email protected]...