2week final build up to 100miler

catch

Jul 7, 2004
I have a mountainous hundred mile ride in two weeks time. I feel confident but want to get the final two weeks right.
What distances, MHR zone training plan should I adopt to be ready?
I dont want to stop and rest and at the same time dont want to fatigue

catch said:
I have a mountainous hundred mile ride in two weeks time. I feel confident but want to get the final two weeks right.
What distances, MHR zone training plan should I adopt to be ready?
I dont want to stop and rest and at the same time dont want to fatigue
Is the ride the weekend of the 14th? If so, I suggest that this weekend you get in a ride that's 70% of your event distance and 70% of the event climbing. For the next week I would keep training as normal. The weekend before the event you should start tapering, keep your long ride to 50-70% of event distance and climbing. The next week should be kept to easy recovery riding, resting up and fueling up. Go for a very light ride the day before. You should be riding the event in an "endurance/tempo" zone, for me that's about 72-78% MHR. Why don't you want to use the rest stops? You need to fill bottles, eat and use the john, just try to keep the stops short. What event is it and how much climbing? I will be doing Breathless Agony this Saturday (114 miles, 12,000' climbing).

OCRoadie said:
Is the ride the weekend of the 14th? If so, I suggest that this weekend you get in a ride that's 70% of your event distance and 70% of the event climbing. For the next week I would keep training as normal. The weekend before the event you should start tapering, keep your long ride to 50-70% of event distance and climbing. The next week should be kept to easy recovery riding, resting up and fueling up. Go for a very light ride the day before. You should be riding the event in an "endurance/tempo" zone, for me that's about 72-78% MHR. Why don't you want to use the rest stops? You need to fill bottles, eat and use the john, just try to keep the stops short. What event is it and how much climbing? I will be doing Breathless Agony this Saturday (114 miles, 12,000' climbing).
Agree 100% with your advice. Good luck on Saturday..that's a tough Century. We have a big one here in the SE also on 7 May, the 3-State, 3-Mountain. It's about 10,000' total elevation gain, which is plenty for me!

dhk said:
Agree 100% with your advice. Good luck on Saturday..that's a tough Century. We have a big one here in the SE also on 7 May, the 3-State, 3-Mountain. It's about 10,000' total elevation gain, which is plenty for me!
Do you ever make your way over to GA to ride the yearly 6-gap ride?

John

I'm also doing a somewhat hilly century on the 14th (Old route 66). I've been riding 40-50% of the course two to three days a week on weekdays and 50mile rides down in Riverside after my mid-shifts on weekends for the last 7 or 8 weeks. OC Roadie's got some solid advice, though it seems a bit late in the game to get serious now (I assume you've been riding in earnest for some time now). You don't want to wake up bright and early the morning of the big ride to find you aren't ready:eek: .

king4wd said:
I'm also doing a somewhat hilly century on the 14th (Old route 66). I've been riding 40-50% of the course two to three days a week on weekdays and 50mile rides down in Riverside after my mid-shifts on weekends for the last 7 or 8 weeks. OC Roadie's got some solid advice, though it seems a bit late in the game to get serious now (I assume you've been riding in earnest for some time now). You don't want to wake up bright and early the morning of the big ride to find you aren't ready:eek: .

Yes, I have been doing a 75miler at the weekends and 2-3 x 20mile fastpaced session during the week over the last couple of months. Just wondered what you will actually do the week before - ie stop or cut down to a couple of 1 hour sessions?

catch said:
Yes, I have been doing a 75miler at the weekends and 2-3 x 20mile fastpaced session during the week over the last couple of months. Just wondered what you will actually do the week before - ie stop or cut down to a couple of 1 hour sessions?
Take it easy the week before (you will be fine putting in your long weekend ride, just don't try a for a personal best or anything), you can do your hour rides, but keep them real easy (65% or less of MHR), I find it hard to keep myself at this easy of a pace, so I usually just do one easy ride a day or two before. Having said that , I just raced our local crit last night for an hour at about 87%, hopefully 3 days is plenty to recover:). Good Luck

Have a good ride DHK, sounds like a good one.

Mansmind said:
Do you ever make your way over to GA to ride the yearly 6-gap ride?

John
Haven't yet. In fact, last year was the first time I did the 3 State 3 Mountain. Maybe will give it a try this September...looks like a great ride on some of the Tour De Georgia course.

I will be there Saturday DHK.It will be my 1st century, so if you see somebody sitting on bags of ice at the 75 mile rest break say hi.:D

jmax24 said:
I will be there Saturday DHK.It will be my 1st century, so if you see somebody sitting on bags of ice at the 75 mile rest break say hi.:D
Well, Won't be riding this year. Instead, saturday I'll be enjoying a club campout over in the Smokies. We do a 60 mile loop there that has ~ 9000 vertical feet, so I won't miss out on all the fun.

I see they've got the max of 1200 riders and closed registration now. Should be a good one. Say hi to the devil on the Burkhalter Gap climb for me.