3 chainring to 1 chainring

Aaron09

Jan 23, 2017
I am going from a 3 chainring to a 1 chainring. My current BB is 68mm with the spindles measuring 122.5. I am looking to get a new bottom bracket, but I am unsure what size. Any thoughts? The original chainring was 48/38/28 teeth and the new one will be 39t.

To me it wouldn't make sense to replace a 38 with a 39 unless the 38 was due for replacement anyhow.
It's a 2.6% difference, far less (say 1/3) than the regularl difference between gears in a cassette rear.

If you find the big and the small so horribly disturbing, why not simply pull them off, switch to a shorter set of chainring bolts and call it done?

Unfortunately, the bike I have doesn't allow me to disassemble the original chainrings. That was my initial plan.

What are you hoping to gain from the switch, reduced weight, style points?
Do you have the tools required to remove the current crank and to remove and install a bottom bracket?
If not, having a shop do the switch will cost about the same as the tools. Better have a shop order the parts and do the switch for you. Then they'll figure out what parts you need.

I have the tools and currently have the crank and bottom bracket out. Bottom bracket housing been cleaned. I am wanting to do this since all of it needed to be replaced and I wanted to try a different setup.

This is before I pulled the crank and BB to replace. All the other work I had already did.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 20