3 cross on 28 hole hub

John S

Guest
I was trying to lace a Mavic Open Pro rim with a shimano dura ace 9 speed hub with a 3 cross pattern
yesterday. Using the spocalc.xls program says the sopkes should have a length of 297, 298. It looked
impossible to get a 3 cross pattern with this wheel, but I thought it could be done.

Am I missing something? Also, do I have these spoke lengths correct? The spokes looked a little too
long. I have laced wheels before, but never anything less than a 32h. So, this one appears to be a
little different.

Thanks, John

"John S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was trying to lace a Mavic Open Pro rim with a shimano dura ace 9 speed hub with a 3 cross
> pattern yesterday. Using the spocalc.xls program says the sopkes should have a length of 297, 298.
> It looked impossible to get a 3 cross pattern with this wheel, but I thought it could be done.
>
> Am I missing something? Also, do I have these spoke lengths correct? The spokes looked a little
> too long. I have laced wheels before, but never anything less than a 32h. So, this one appears to
> be a little different.
>
> Thanks, John

John, I ran the calculations from the Rinard charts and calculator at Sheldon Brown's site: 299.4 &
297.9 When I ran it on the DT Swiss site: 299.1 & 297.6

I would consider 2X when building with 28 spokes. 3X may have the spoke run over the adjacent
spoke head.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

John S wrote:

> I was trying to lace a Mavic Open Pro rim with a shimano dura ace 9 speed hub with a 3 cross
> pattern yesterday. Using the spocalc.xls program says the sopkes should have a length of 297, 298.
> It looked impossible to get a 3 cross pattern with this wheel, but I thought it could be done.
>
> Am I missing something? Also, do I have these spoke lengths correct? The spokes looked a little
> too long. I have laced wheels before, but never anything less than a 32h. So, this one appears to
> be a little different.

For a DA 28h rear, the spoke angle for a 3x at the hub-hole radius is
81.3 deg, so it is "do-able" and I have built this wheel (except not Open Pro) myself.

>> hubSpAng = spokeangle(14, 3, 44, 602)
hubSpAng =
82. 2859

>> spokes

This program computes spoke length for a "wire" spoked bicycle wheel.

If using DT spokes enter dt, if using Wheelsmith spokes enter wh. dt Enter the hub's effective
diameter (hole-center to opposite hole-center). 44 Enter the number of spoke crosses. 3 Enter the
number of spokes. 28 Enter the spoke hole diameter. 2.7 Enter the effective rim diameter. 602 For a
front wheel enter f, for a rear wheel enter r. r Enter the hub-center to right flange distance. 19
Enter the hub-center to left flange distance. 35

answer..... The rear wheel right spoke length is 296.138mm (296mm).

The rear wheel left spoke length is 297.586mm (298mm).

mcgyver-<< I was trying to lace a Mavic Open Pro rim with a shimano dura ace 9 speed hub with a
3 cross pattern yesterday. Using the spocalc.xls program says the sopkes should have a length
of 297, 298.

32 3 cross is 295/297, I would think 28/3 cross would be longer than 297/8(9) but I don't have my
spoke calc at hand.

<< It looked impossible to get a 3 cross pattern with this wheel, but I thought it could be done.

Same as a 32 three coss, just use the proper length spokes-over, over, under...

It works, I did it (3x on 28h open pro) last fall but can't remember spoke lengths. There is no
rubbing of spokes on heads. -Darryl Mataya

"John S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was trying to lace a Mavic Open Pro rim with a shimano dura ace 9 speed hub with a 3 cross
> pattern yesterday. Using the spocalc.xls program says the sopkes should have a length of 297, 298.
> It looked impossible to get a 3 cross pattern with this wheel, but I thought it could be done.
>
> Am I missing something? Also, do I have these spoke lengths correct? The spokes looked a little
> too long. I have laced wheels before, but never anything less than a 32h. So, this one appears to
> be a little different.

The length is right. Try it again without the self-doubt and you'll be just fine.

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:55:17 -0500, John S wrote:

> I was trying to lace a Mavic Open Pro rim with a shimano dura ace 9 speed hub with a 3 cross
> pattern yesterday. Using the spocalc.xls program says the sopkes should have a length of 297, 298.
> It looked impossible to get a 3 cross pattern with this wheel, but I thought it could be done.

Why impossible? You might have trouble with the spoke heads rubbing on the adjacent spokes, due to
very low angles, but it ought to be possible. I've never built with 28 holes, but there is no magic
in doing so.

If you're thinking something about 3 cross and the number of spokes, no, that is not a problem,

> Am I missing something?

???

> Also, do I have these spoke lengths correct?

You should be able to read the spoke calculator. They have always been reliable for me, being based
on formulas readily available in Jobst's book.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

[email protected] (John S) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was trying to lace a Mavic Open Pro rim with a shimano dura ace 9 speed hub with a 3 cross
> pattern yesterday. Using the spocalc.xls program says the sopkes should have a length of 297, 298.
> It looked impossible to get a 3 cross pattern with this wheel, but I thought it could be done.
>
> Am I missing something? Also, do I have these spoke lengths correct? The spokes looked a little
> too long. I have laced wheels before, but never anything less than a 32h. So, this one appears to
> be a little different.
>
> Thanks, John

Thanks for everyone's reply. I got the wheel built 3 cross without a hitch last night. I was in
hurry to get it built Sunday before the Super Bowl started that I didn't turn the hub enough to set
the non crossing spokes in their proper place.

John