3 days to go......

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by paul, Jun 14, 2004.

  1. paul

    paul Guest

    what more to add? :-D
    --
    ..paul

    If at first you don't succeed...
    Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

    Tags:

  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

  3. "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > paul <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > what more to add? :-D

    > Switzerland?

    Oh yes, that seems like a good choice. They seem to have fantastic
    integration of their public transport system and very bike-friendly. I just
    wish their cycle route maps were a bit cheaper! I think I paid about £25
    for the foldup map of the national routes and a booklet detailing one of
    them....

    Rich

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > paul <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > what more to add? :-D

    > > Switzerland?

    > Oh yes, that seems like a good choice. They seem to have fantastic
    > integration of their public transport system and very bike-friendly. I just
    > wish their cycle route maps were a bit cheaper! I think I paid about £25
    > for the foldup map of the national routes and a booklet detailing one of
    > them....

    And they charge motorists for the privilage of driving into the
    country (used to be 12.50, GOK what it is now, presumably they still
    can as non-EU)

  5. Ian G Batten

    Ian G Batten Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
    > And they charge motorists for the privilage of driving into the
    > country (used to be 12.50, GOK what it is now, presumably they still
    > can as non-EU)

    Only if you're going to use the motorways.

    ian

  6. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > And they charge motorists for the privilage of driving into the
    > > country (used to be 12.50, GOK what it is now, presumably they still
    > > can as non-EU)

    > Only if you're going to use the motorways.

    Whereas, if you cycle across the border you are unlikely at most of the
    checkpoints even to get stopped.
    --
    "Mango sorbet is clearcut proof that we have progressed beyond the
    bare needs of survival and have progressed to the transcendant."

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > And they charge motorists for the privilage of driving into the
    > > country (used to be 12.50, GOK what it is now, presumably they still
    > > can as non-EU)

    > Only if you're going to use the motorways.

    They have also mined all the big bridges over the valleys (for toll evaders) ;-)

  8. "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > And they charge motorists for the privilage of driving into the
    > country (used to be 12.50, GOK what it is now, presumably they still
    > can as non-EU)

    True, the motorway fee - now it's around £19 - 40 CHF. But I think a
    one-off fee of £19 for a year is preferable to the French toll system. I
    approve. I think we should do it here - let those foreign motorists (and
    lorry drivers especially) pay something for the upkeep of the UK road
    system! Or just support the UK exchequer. Or whatever. Anyway we pay when
    we go over there so let them pay when they come over here ;).

    Rich

  9. Pete whelan

    Pete whelan Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > paul <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>what more to add? :-D

    > Switzerland?

    I think that is the first country Pauls parcel is stopping at on the
    way to the UK

  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > And they charge motorists for the privilage of driving into the
    > > country (used to be 12.50, GOK what it is now, presumably they still
    > > can as non-EU)

    > True, the motorway fee - now it's around £19 - 40 CHF. But I think a
    > one-off fee of £19 for a year is preferable to the French toll system. I
    > approve. I think we should do it here - let those foreign motorists (and
    > lorry drivers especially) pay something for the upkeep of the UK road
    > system! Or just support the UK exchequer. Or whatever. Anyway we pay when
    > we go over there so let them pay when they come over here ;).
    >
    > Rich

    So now it's 4 days to go! ;-)

  11. paul

    paul Guest

    > MartinM wrote:
    > > paul <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>what more to add? :-D

    > > Switzerland?

    > I think that is the first country Pauls parcel is stopping at on the
    > way to the UK

    Apparently it went to Reading! The couriors lost it, but bikefix didn't
    tell me that till it had been found again this morning. In a depot in
    Reading.

    It's in Woodbridge now though :eek:)