3 dead after truck slams into cyclists in Quebec

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
A pickup truck plowed into a group of cyclists riding along a rural Quebec highway Friday, killing three and leaving three others badly injured.

The collision left scraps of wreckage, mangled cycling gear and shattered bike frames were strewn across a four-lane stretch of highway in Rougemont, just south of Montreal.

The five female and one male cyclist were members of a biking club that was reportedly training for a triathlon. They were believed to be on their way to a weekend training exercise in Sherbrooke, Que.

One woman was killed outright by the crash and two others died soon afterwards in hospital. The three survivors, one man and two women, were in serious condition but officials said they did not have life-threatening injuries.

Link: 3 dead after truck slams into cyclists in Quebec - CTV News

Very sad, but thank you for posting the link. Would like to know what charges if any are filed against the driver. Hope it's not another case of a driver getting away with murder like this by saying "I didn't see the cyclists".

FYI, the DiNotte taillights are becoming more popular here. The red flasher is viable from at least 1/4 mile away on a sunny day. It shouldn't be necessary, but I've decided it's important to do all we can to protect ourselves against criminally-negligent drivers.

That's is terrible!

Just seeing how shattered the bike frames were makes me wonder that any of them survived.

This is traumatic. It seems that the truck driver was drunken. Have not heard of any charges yet.

Its an inevitable event when we talk about accident. That is why biking along public highways is a no no. Try to have biking in a safe place like plaza. When you are with a group of cyclist try to choose a safe track. Just dont follow them when they are going to a dangerous track. Being with a number of cyclist doesnt mean you are safe. Always think of your safety when you are biking.