3 flat tires in a row??

TBerk wrote:
> While I had been at the bike shop buying a thicker back tube I had
> picked up a small bottle of that green Slime stuff ...

Slimed tube, rode a good 5 to 7 miles home following a puncture (you can
hear the air start to escape before the Slime seals). Pulled the tube
once home & discovered a actual 1/4 inch cut in the tube.

Good stuff :eek:) ...

Bill Davis

c wrote:
> a good amount of you (about 1/3) are cynical sons of *****es ... too
> much time on your hands? wtf...

Eat us.

> the rest, thanks - sincerely - thank you; i posted here asking if it
> was normal, and you told me your experiences and i don't feel like the
> bike shop was being lazy in fixing my bike - i really did just have a
> streak of bad luck, which in the nature of things, is perfectly normal

Bzzt. Wrong.

> i appreciate your attention and care

Prove it.

> i do happen to live in a different world, apparently - there are
> thousand bike shops everywhere, three of which are on the route
> between work, school, and home, and they know me by name and know my
> bikes and when i walk in they take care of me instantly and i'm back
> on the road in about 10 minutes

At 16 bucks a shot, I'm surprised they don't send you engraved invitations.

> so yes, the $20 beats the living **** out of having to wash the grease
> off my hands for 10 minutes, etc -- why is the minority of this group
> so obtusely judgemental and doubtful? did you fail reading
> comprehension? what is so impossible about anything i've asked?

We didn't realize that you're an ungrateful moron. Problem since resolved.

> those who told me it's stupid to not know the source of the flat are
> right on ... i don't mind being insulted because you're being helpful
> on balance

If any thinking person bought a new bike and it immediately started getting
flats, then said thinking person would insist that the selling bike shop
find and resolve the problem. A thinking person would not go in and pay $16
over and over again TO FIX A FLAT TIRE.

> the recommendation about kevlar tires is pretty great, i'll be looking
> into that next time i have a free hour

At your rates, you'll never have a free hour.

> new wheels - bike's new, so not likely, but i will get them trued

Irrelevant.

> i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
> a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
> too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
> though, oh well), etc

Troll.

> side topic -- i've been borrowing a roadbike and it's a different
> ballgame entirely, but i'm really digging it more and more ... sooo
> efficient, but less "fun" than my hybrid ... i may become a "real"
> bicyclist after all

Doubt it.

> thanks,

Don't mention it.

Change the rim tape (of course it kinda depends on where the tubes are
opening up - which you will only figure out by dismantling them
yourself) Take the tire off, run your fingers around on the inside of
it and see if something bites you. If you don't draw blood do the same
with the rim. Maybe it's worth $50 bucks not to get a little tiny
piece of wire poked into the tip of your finger.

You sound like you might be the guy they make those air impregnated
foam tires for, google greentyre. I don't mean this to sound like a
dis... just an idea about practicality of your circumstance. These
things sacrifice a little bit of performance for a lot of reduced
maintenance. If you're riding knobby tires on pavement and hard
packed surfaces performance probably isn't one of your primary
concerns anyway.

On Apr 16, 4:10 pm, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
> c wrote:
>
> > the recommendation about kevlar tires is pretty great, i'll be looking
> > into that next time i have a free hour

> > new wheels - bike's new, so not likely, but i will get them trued

> > i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
> > a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
> > too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
> > though, oh well), etc

> > side topic -- i've been borrowing a roadbike and it's a different
> > ballgame entirely, but i'm really digging it more and more ... sooo
> > efficient, but less "fun" than my hybrid ... i may become a "real"
> > bicyclist after all

> I was one of the ones to recommend kevlar. They are a *lot* harder for
> me to mount, and I did it on two bikes, but I want to say I have 1,100
> miles on my main bike and 600 on my second bike since the last rainy
> season and have had one flat. (Knocks on wood.) It was a presta tube
> failure where the stem broke off of the tube from the daily flexing
> airing it up.
>
> Both my bikes are road bikes and I mostly ride in a big city and
> occasionally ride in a very rural area a couple hundred miles away when
> visiting relatives. I plan to stick with kevlar.

i went earlier this evening, on my way to the market, and asked about
kevlar - they told me they could do it right then and there, so it's
done

it was $35 per tire, but i only did the back one

i'm pretty excited =) the guys told me if i got a flat (that tire)
*again* they'd fix it free (which, in their language, means both
they're tired of fixing my flats and seeing my face and they took care
of the tire for real)

so thanks for the tip =)

(and the other guy who mentioned heavy-duty tires)

and FYI for the haters: it took 6 minutes, i looked at my phone

there was a hole almost the size of a pea in my old tube, but they
didn't find the culprit

On Apr 16, 6:40 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
> > a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
> > too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
> > though, oh well), etc

> Troll.

hahhahahahhahahaaha

*plonk*

c wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:40 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm
>>> in a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch
>>> kit too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on
>>> it though, oh well), etc

>> Troll.
>>

> hahhahahahhahahaaha
>

> *plonk*

Now THAT hurt. ROTFL

No ****?

> [...] Were you ever a Boy Scout? Remember the motto?

No atheists or homosexuals allowed?

"c" (who?) anonymously wrote:
> a good amount of you (about 1/3) are cynical sons of *****es ... too
> much time on your hands? wtf...

The advice given was in line with experienced cyclist practice.

> the rest, thanks - sincerely - thank you; i posted here asking if it
> was normal, and you told me your experiences and i don't feel like the
> bike shop was being lazy in fixing my bike - i really did just have a
> streak of bad luck, which in the nature of things, is perfectly normal
>
> i appreciate your attention and care
>
> i do happen to live in a different world, apparently - there are
> thousand bike shops everywhere, three of which are on the route
> between work, school, and home, and they know me by name and know my
> bikes and when i walk in they take care of me instantly and i'm back
> on the road in about 10 minutes
>
> so yes, the $20 beats the living **** out of having to wash the grease
> off my hands for 10 minutes, etc

Nitrile rubber medical gloves work well for this procedure.

> -- why is the minority of this group
> so obtusely judgemental and doubtful? did you fail reading
> comprehension? what is so impossible about anything i've asked?[...]

This group is a bunch of softies compared to RTB and RBR.

>> [...] Were you ever a Boy Scout? Remember the motto?
> No atheists or homosexuals allowed?

=v= The Boy Scout Motto is "Beep Repaired." Which is great
for fixing your horn, not so much for your tires.
HTH, HAND,
<_Jym_>

On Apr 16, 10:45 am, c <[email protected]> wrote:
> a good amount of you (about 1/3) are cynical sons of *****es ... too
> much time on your hands? wtf...
>
> the rest, thanks - sincerely - thank you; i posted here asking if it
> was normal, and you told me your experiences and i don't feel like the
> bike shop was being lazy in fixing my bike - i really did just have a
> streak of bad luck, which in the nature of things, is perfectly normal
>
> i appreciate your attention and care
>
> i do happen to live in a different world, apparently - there are
> thousand bike shops everywhere, three of which are on the route
> between work, school, and home, and they know me by name and know my
> bikes and when i walk in they take care of me instantly and i'm back
> on the road in about 10 minutes
>
> so yes, the $20 beats the living **** out of having to wash the grease
> off my hands for 10 minutes, etc -- why is the minority of this group
> so obtusely judgemental and doubtful? did you fail reading
> comprehension? what is so impossible about anything i've asked?
>
> those who told me it's stupid to not know the source of the flat are
> right on ... i don't mind being insulted because you're being helpful
> on balance
>
> the recommendation about kevlar tires is pretty great, i'll be looking
> into that next time i have a free hour
>
> new wheels - bike's new, so not likely, but i will get them trued
>
> i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
> a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
> too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
> though, oh well), etc
>
> side topic -- i've been borrowing a roadbike and it's a different
> ballgame entirely, but i'm really digging it more and more ... sooo
> efficient, but less "fun" than my hybrid ... i may become a "real"
> bicyclist after all
>
> thanks,

C: of course one of the reasons to fix it yourself is so you know for
sure what each flat is caused by. If they're pinch flats, you need to
use higher pressure and/or larger tires. If they're debris, well then
it's bad luck, but that can be mitigated by more observant and careful
riding and tougher tires. If it's a spoke or rough spot in the rim,
better rim tape and/or dressing (smoothing out) the rough spot will
help.

Although I tend to agree that a flat is something that one should fix
him/her self, I would never disagree with your choice because I almost
always pay people to do things I can't do, don't want to do, or dont'
have the time to do - many of which I am perfectly capable of doing
myself. Some years I'll do a complete tune up on my bike and the
multiple other bikes in my house. Other years, I don't feel like
messing with it and pay the LBS to do it. Big deal!

All those guys who criticize: how many of you wouldn't hesitate to
pay the neighbor kid to mow the lawn or clean the gutters or shovel
the driveway?

Good luck.

"Camilo" <[email protected]> wrote

> All those guys who criticize: how many of you wouldn't hesitate to
> pay the neighbor kid to mow the lawn or clean the gutters or shovel
> the driveway?

Hmm....you might have a point...if I were riding a century in the heat of
summer and had a flat...and some kid comes up offering to fix my flat for
$5, I might just take that offer. :)

"Roger Zoul" wrote: Hmm....you might have a point...if I were riding a
century in the heat of
> summer and had a flat...and some kid comes up offering to fix my flat for
> $5, I might just take that offer. :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah--enterprising kid. Prolly threw some tacks on the road and then lurked
in the bushes. And then grew up to become head of Enron. :-0

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote i

> "Roger Zoul" wrote: Hmm....you might have a point...if I were riding a
> century in the heat of
>> summer and had a flat...and some kid comes up offering to fix my flat for
>> $5, I might just take that offer. :)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yeah--enterprising kid. Prolly threw some tacks on the road and then
> lurked in the bushes. And then grew up to become head of Enron. :-0

Well, at least he had enough sense not to charge $16! And I'd have enough
sense not to hire him again a few miles down the road. :)

"Roger Zoul" wrote: Well, at least he had enough sense not to charge $16!
And I'd have enough
> sense not to hire him again a few miles down the road. :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why would he rush down the road and scatter new tacks? If you're on a
centrury, he knows there are lots more bikes coming, and he gets to use the
same handful of tacks over and over. You're probably not the first sucker
(strike that) willing customer he's had in the last few hours.

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Roger Zoul" wrote: Well, at least he had enough sense not to charge
> $16! And I'd have enough
>> sense not to hire him again a few miles down the road. :)

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Why would he rush down the road and scatter new tacks? If you're on a
> centrury, he knows there are lots more bikes coming, and he gets to use
> the same handful of tacks over and over. You're probably not the first
> sucker (strike that) willing customer he's had in the last few hours.

I forgot to mention that I'm usually bringing up the rear! ;)

At least in the hills.

"Roger Zoul" wrote: I forgot to mention that I'm usually bringing up the
rear! ;) (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Part of that may be because a kid fixing your flat for $5 is probably slower
than you.

On Apr 16, 1:42 pm, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "TBerk" (clip) The most I ever had was two in one day (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I think two friends of mine may have set the world's record in that regard.
> One of the rode on the shoulder and went through a patch of puncture vines,
> betting possibly 50 or more leaks in each tire, all at once. The other
> fellow said, "where did you do that?" and went over to check it out. A
> minute later he had 50 or 60 thorns in each of his tires. The job fell to
> me to ride back and get the car. It kind of ruined our day.

While on one of those cross country by bus w/ Dad because he doesn't
ride airplanes to visit relatives along the way type trips I had a
chance to ride my cousin's ten speed in the local neighborhood near
Denver, CO.

I swear I left a trail of bread crumbs to find my way back but riding
though the park came up with two flat tires. (The kid in from out of
town don't know to avoid riding the paths with the thorns),

Top it all off I stopped by the police station, didn't get any help (I
was lost) and looked at a map on the wall to get back to base camp.

I walked that damn bike for over two hours looking for the landmarks I
had seen on the way out, some Green Slime in the tires would have been
a great thing in Thorn Country.

TBerk

[email protected] wrote:
> catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>> >
>> > Also carry money or plastic.

>> Not a bad idea. I always carry my cell phone but not much else.

> Also a very good idea, which I adhere to. But here in the wild West
> you can't always get coverage, so I still carry all that other stuff, plus
> a bus token.

I really should do that (carry a bus token of some variety). I carry a
cell phone and have enough tools to fix almost anything short of a
broken frame/crank/stem, but I still have had to resort to Shanks mare
before. Thankfully always close to home or my work.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Dijkstra probably hates me