3-hole Look Pedal Metal Plate for Shimano shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by karoline lerang, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Does anybody know if it is easy to purchase the metal plate that goes inside
    a Shimano racing shoe so that I can use it with Look pedals ? Is there any
    part number?

    The shoe is Shimano SH-R212, the metal plate that is in there at the moment
    only has holes for SPD pedals.

    Thx..

    Tags:

  2. Bill K.

    Bill K. Guest

    The spare plate should have been in the box with your shoes. The shop
    that you bought them from should be able to order them from Shimano.
    They might even have some in stock, if they are worth their salt.
    Very good shoes.

  3. "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > karoline lerang wrote:
    > > Does anybody know if it is easy to purchase the metal plate that goes

    inside
    > > a Shimano racing shoe so that I can use it with Look pedals ? Is there

    any
    > > part number?
    > > The shoe is Shimano SH-R212, the metal plate that is in there at the

    moment
    > > only has holes for SPD pedals.

    > First, check carefully to see if there aren't more holes,
    > perhaps plugged or covered. Many shoes are compatible with
    > both formats.

    The LOOK holes are in the shoe, its just the metal plate that only has
    threads for SPD cleats.

    I need a new plate....but the local shops don't know how to order...it
    usually comes with the Shoe, but these (one year old) didn't.

    > Second, while the SPD type cleat systems have a screw fixed
    > in the cleat and an insert that floats inside the shoe, Look
    > pattern cleats are the inverse. Each screw goes into a
    > single fixed hole in the shoe. The position adjustment's
    > inside the cleat instead.
    >
    > In the early days of Look, the first widely accepted
    > clipless system, dealers had fixtures to drill shoes and
    > inserts to press through the sole. See if your LBS has such
    > and if not, email me -we do.
    >
    > Lastly, unless your shoes have sentimental value, have you
    > thought about a pair of SiDi shoes? They sure fit well and,
    > IMHO, enhance one's riding experience all out of proportion
    > to their cost. A good deal.
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi
    > www.yellowjersey.org
    > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  4. Bill K.

    Bill K. Guest

    What you need is called a "cleat fixing nut" or just a "cleat nut." If
    you contact Shimano USA, they can give you the part number so that
    your shop can order it. The problem is that your shop doesn't want to
    special order a $2.00 part. They would rather sell you a new $200.00
    pair of shoes. Even if you get the part number from Shimano, your shop
    may tell you that they need to place a minimum order from Shimano to
    get them.
    A large, high quality shop should have a few of these laying around.
    You might want to call around to all the shops in your area.

  5. On 24 Apr 2004 20:11:05 -0700, [email protected] (Bill K.) wrote:

    >What you need is called a "cleat fixing nut" or just a "cleat nut." If
    >you contact Shimano USA, they can give you the part number so that
    >your shop can order it. The problem is that your shop doesn't want to
    >special order a $2.00 part. They would rather sell you a new $200.00
    >pair of shoes. Even if you get the part number from Shimano, your shop
    >may tell you that they need to place a minimum order from Shimano to
    >get them.
    >A large, high quality shop should have a few of these laying around.
    >You might want to call around to all the shops in your area.

    I will be in Japan for several days next month, if anyone is
    interested. Nothing like going directly to the source for parts.

    Michael J. Klein

    Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

  6. "Michael J. Klein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 24 Apr 2004 20:11:05 -0700, [email protected] (Bill K.) wrote:
    >
    > >What you need is called a "cleat fixing nut" or just a "cleat nut." If
    > >you contact Shimano USA, they can give you the part number so that
    > >your shop can order it. The problem is that your shop doesn't want to
    > >special order a $2.00 part. They would rather sell you a new $200.00
    > >pair of shoes. Even if you get the part number from Shimano, your shop
    > >may tell you that they need to place a minimum order from Shimano to
    > >get them.
    > >A large, high quality shop should have a few of these laying around.
    > >You might want to call around to all the shops in your area.

    > I will be in Japan for several days next month, if anyone is
    > interested. Nothing like going directly to the source for parts.
    >
    > Michael J. Klein
    >
    > Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

    Thanks Michael, very kind of you....I won't take you up as I'm in Europe,
    I'll keep using the old spd pedals until I come across a bike shop that can
    help with the plate.