3-hole MTB shoes

frenchyge

Apr 3, 2005
Can I get some recommendations on any MTB shoes which accept a 3-hole pattern road cleat?

A friend of mine isn't that concerned with weight or performance, but they'd like to avoid the road shoe duckwalk if possible.

LAKE used to make a MTB shoe which had both the standard SPD mount + the 3-hole mount ... perhaps, it is still available.

Thanks. I checked their website and didn't see any in their current lineup, but I'll keep an eye out.

Anyone else seen a MTB shoe which accepts 3-bolt cleats?

frenchyge said:
Thanks. I checked their website and didn't see any in their current lineup, but I'll keep an eye out.

Anyone else seen a MTB shoe which accepts 3-bolt cleats?

If it is a 'MTB' shoe, with rubber 'pontoons' on either side of where the cleats go so you can walk in them, doubt there is room for a road cleat. Haven't ever seen one with a really wide layout of the rubber places, to accept a 3 bolt road cleat.

Peter@vecchios said:
If it is a 'MTB' shoe, with rubber 'pontoons' on either side of where the cleats go so you can walk in them, doubt there is room for a road cleat. Haven't ever seen one with a really wide layout of the rubber places, to accept a 3 bolt road cleat.
You are correct that a "road" cleat (e.g., LOOK) is too wide to fit between the treads on a typical MTB/ATB sole ...

MY recollection is that on the fore mentioned LAKE shoe that the molded rubber tread was ABSENT in the portion of the sole where the the cleat would be mounted (on the big toe side of the sole) ...

MANY shoes (e.g., Shimano) could be theoretically DIY-modified by removing the 'unwanted' rubber tread ...

NON-carbon soles can be drilled & the three-hole, road cleat held in place with WOOD screws ... perhaps few will remember this, but in the "old days" cleats were mounted in leather soles which were NOT pre-drilled ... I think DETTO PIETRO was one of the first, if not the first, to have a plastic sole with mounting bosses embedded in the soles.