3 leading, 3 trailing lacing-how to "weave"

Whitfit

Guest
I just built up a wheel with the 3 leading, 3 trailing pattern. I wasn't sure how to do the weave,
as in putting spokes over and under each other, because it seemed like I would get very acute
angles. I ended up not doing it at all, but I haven't tensioned and trued the wheel yet, so it would
be an easy task to do it if needed. What is the purpose of the "weave" in wheel builds, and should I
worry about it with this wheel (obviously, it's a front wheel, and it has 36 spokes- I wouldn't try
this on anything with less margin for strength)?

Toby, in Montreal

Originally posted by Whitfit
I just built up a wheel with the 3 leading, 3 trailing pattern. I wasn't sure how to do the weave,
as in putting spokes over and under each other, because it seemed like I would get very acute
angles. I ended up not doing it at all, but I haven't tensioned and trued the wheel yet, so it would
be an easy task to do it if needed. What is the purpose of the "weave" in wheel builds, and should I
worry about it with this wheel (obviously, it's a front wheel, and it has 36 spokes- I wouldn't try
this on anything with less margin for strength)?

. Toby, in Montreal
Weaving or crossing spokes improves durability. Elbows in spokes cross over elbows out spokes. Radial loading slackens the bottom spoke. Interlaced spokes take up each other's slack. Pedaling forces in the rear wheel and front wheel where disc brakes are involved, torque is transmitted via the spokes. Pulling spokes increase in tension and pushing spokes decrease in tension. The crossing points between pulling and pushing spokes helps mitigate the changes in tension. Fatique life is improved by lowering the changes in tesnion. Most spoke failures occur due to fatigue

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Just realized the confusion. I mean the three leading, three trailing pattern mentioned in one of
the links on the bottom of that page which is not the standard 3x lacing. In the one in the link
from Sheldon's page is woven together, it is not clear if this is necessary, and given the bending
in this situation whether it is even desirable.

Toby.

whitfit wrote:

> Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
>
> Just realized the confusion. I mean the three leading, three trailing pattern mentioned in one of
> the links on the bottom of that page which is not the standard 3x lacing. In the one in the link
> from Sheldon's page is woven together, it is not clear if this is necessary, and given the bending
> in this situation whether it is even desirable.

For 3-leading-3-trailing: weave not. I have a page about this pattern at
http://www.qnet.com/~crux/wheel.html

Why interlace in conventional patterns? To quote from Jobst's book (which I recommend reading cover
to cover)-- "Interlaced spokes take up each other's slack during severe radial loading and reduce
the chance of spokes becoming loose."

Tom Ace

> > Just realized the confusion. I mean the three leading, three trailing pattern mentioned in one
> > of the links on the bottom of that page which is not the standard 3x lacing. In the one in the
> > link from Sheldon's page is woven together, it is not clear if this is necessary, and given the
> > bending in this situation whether it is even desirable.
>
> For 3-leading-3-trailing: weave not. I have a page about this pattern at
> http://www.qnet.com/~crux/wheel.html
>
> Why interlace in conventional patterns? To quote from Jobst's book (which I recommend reading
> cover to cover)-- "Interlaced spokes take up each other's slack during severe radial loading and
> reduce the chance of spokes becoming loose."
>
> Tom Ace

What is "interlacing"? The next "crankset"?