3 Min Egg Timer

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jack Schmidling, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?

    How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    to be called what they are?

    Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    boiling water at sea level.

    Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.

    Any thoughts?

    js

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    Jack Schmidling wrote:
    > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?

    In my kitchen that's the standing time: room temp eggs in cold water
    on high flame, as soon as the first full-fledged bubble breaks the
    surface of the water -- i.e., the very beginning of the boil -- turn
    off heat. Time for 3 minutes. That's a perfect soft-boiled egg. You
    like it less runny, let it stand a while longer, but don't actually
    boil it for 3 minutes--that both overcooks and toughens it. -aem

    > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > to be called what they are?

    Seems self evident to me. It's hard to keep an even rhythm throughout
    counting to 180.

    > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > boiling water at sea level? Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.

    Define properly.

    > Any thoughts?

    My thought is that you like harder cooked eggs. The existence of
    3-minute egg timers and not 5-minute egg timers would suggest that
    you're in the minority. Nothing wrong with that unless you want the
    world to accommodate you...... -aem

  3. sf

    sf Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 16:47:55 -0700, aem wrote:

    > My thought is that you like harder cooked eggs. The existence of
    > 3-minute egg timers and not 5-minute egg timers would suggest that
    > you're in the minority. Nothing wrong with that unless you want the
    > world to accommodate you...... -aem

    A 3 minute timer will work for me, if it's flipped over once.

    sf
    who prefers a solid white and runny yolk (exlarge egg)

  4. Peter A

    Peter A Guest

    > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?
    >
    > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > to be called what they are?
    >
    > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > boiling water at sea level.
    >
    > Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Yes. My thought - based on many years of experience - is that an ice-
    cold egg cooked for 4 minutes in the shell makes a perfect soft-boiled
    egg. If you find eggs like this unappetizing it is a reflection on your
    limited taste and no more.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  5. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Jack Schmidling <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?
    >
    > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > to be called what they are?
    >
    > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > boiling water at sea level.
    >
    > Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Yeah, that you probably don't want to hear from the folks who like their
    eggs raw.

    :)

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  6. jay

    jay Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:37:43 -0600, Jack Schmidling wrote:

    > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?
    >
    > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > to be called what they are?
    >
    > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > boiling water at sea level.
    >
    > Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >

    > js

    I just break the eggs in lightly simmering water and watch for the
    doneness that I like. Poached but not too much different to me.. and no
    hot shell to deal with.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    Jack Schmidling <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?
    >
    > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > to be called what they are?
    >
    > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > boiling water at sea level.
    >
    > Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >

    > js

    You obviously like to over-cook your eggs. ;-)

    Hope that helps? <G>

    Om -> Who likes her yolks runny......
    --
    Peace, Om.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    jay <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:37:43 -0600, Jack Schmidling wrote:
    >
    > > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?
    > >
    > > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > > to be called what they are?
    > >
    > > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > > boiling water at sea level.
    > >
    > > Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >

    > > js

    > I just break the eggs in lightly simmering water and watch for the
    > doneness that I like. Poached but not too much different to me.. and no
    > hot shell to deal with.

    Ooh, I like them that way too!
    Have not done it for awhile...

    They are especially good that way all squished on top of a buttered
    English muffin..... ;-d

    Damn, now I'm hungry but I have to go to work shortly so don't really
    have time to cook. <sigh>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  9. LT

    LT Guest

    > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?
    >
    > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > to be called what they are?
    >
    > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > boiling water at sea level.
    >
    > Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > js

    First you need to decide how you like them. But the classic "3 minunte egg"
    I beleive is supposed to be cooked but with very runny yoke and soft whites.

    That said, I've always started with eggs directly from the frig. Get the
    water boiling fast, and gently drop the eggs in. After water comes back to
    boil (usually 15-20 seconds) start the 3 min timmer. After 3 min, remove and
    run under cold water to stop the cooking. Always turns out perfect to my
    taste.

    Larry T

  10. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Jack Schmidling wrote:

    > Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?
    >
    > How did these non-sensical gadgets get started and why do they continue
    > to be called what they are?
    >
    > Even an egg at room temp is an unapetizing mess after only 3 minutes in
    > boiling water at sea level.
    >
    > Out of the fridge, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook it properly.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > js

    Works for us at high altitude. The egg is put into the pot of cold
    water, brought to a boil and timed from when the water boils. By the
    time the egg is removed from the pot to the egg cup it's perfect. Yolk
    soft, white fully cooked without being rubbery.

  11. Serene

    Serene Guest

  12. On Thu 06 Apr 2006 06:45:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

    > On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:37:43 -0600, Jack Schmidling <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?

    > Three minutes from the time the water comes to a boil makes a
    > soft-boiled egg.
    >
    > See http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A592481
    >
    > serene

    But, serene, "UK" minutes are longer then "US" minutes. That would b nearly
    5 minutes here in the good ole US!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  13. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Thu 06 Apr 2006 06:45:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:37:43 -0600, Jack Schmidling <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Where on this planet can one cook an egg in 3 minutes?

    >> Three minutes from the time the water comes to a boil makes a
    >> soft-boiled egg.
    >>
    >> See http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A592481
    >>
    >> serene

    > But, serene, "UK" minutes are longer then "US" minutes. That would b nearly
    > 5 minutes here in the good ole US!

    but, wayne, they don't call them 'Minutes' in the UK, they call them
    'decalitres' and the conversion is about 1.2 minutes to the decalitre.

    true!

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  14. On Thu 06 Apr 2006 07:39:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 06:45:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

    >>> Three minutes from the time the water comes to a boil makes a
    >>> soft-boiled egg.
    >>>
    >>> See http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A592481
    >>>
    >>> serene

    >> But, serene, "UK" minutes are longer then "US" minutes. That would b
    >> nearly 5 minutes here in the good ole US!
    >>

    > but, wayne, they don't call them 'Minutes' in the UK, they call them
    > 'decalitres' and the conversion is about 1.2 minutes to the decalitre.
    >
    > true!

    I was *just* trying to simplify! :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  15. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Thu 06 Apr 2006 07:39:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?
    >
    >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 06:45:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Serene?

    >>> But, serene, "UK" minutes are longer then "US" minutes. That would b
    >>> nearly 5 minutes here in the good ole US!
    >>>

    >> but, wayne, they don't call them 'Minutes' in the UK, they call them
    >> 'decalitres' and the conversion is about 1.2 minutes to the decalitre.
    >>
    >> true!
    >>

    > I was *just* trying to simplify! :)

    simplify???
    OR DUMB IT DOWN BECAUSE YOU THINK WE'RE STUPID????????

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  16. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-04-06, Peter A <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes. My thought - based on many years of experience - is that an ice-
    > cold egg cooked for 4 minutes in the shell makes a perfect soft-boiled
    > egg. If you find eggs like this unappetizing it is a reflection on your
    > limited taste and no more.

    I go with 4-1/2 mins from the fridg myself, but I always buy extra
    large eggs. This gets me a 90% cooked white with a runny yolk. I
    think that 3 min thing is for small eggs before refrigeration or Brits
    who like runny eggs. Let's face it, Brits are weird. Not in a bad
    way, just weird. ;)

    nb

  17. On Thu 06 Apr 2006 07:56:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 07:39:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
    >> Bubbo?

    >>> but, wayne, they don't call them 'Minutes' in the UK, they call them
    >>> 'decalitres' and the conversion is about 1.2 minutes to the decalitre.
    >>>
    >>> true!
    >>>

    >> I was *just* trying to simplify! :)
    >>

    > simplify???
    > OR DUMB IT DOWN BECAUSE YOU THINK WE'RE STUPID????????

    Lowest common denominator! :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  18. On Thu 06 Apr 2006 08:10:58p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it notbob?

    > On 2006-04-06, Peter A <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. My thought - based on many years of experience - is that an ice-
    >> cold egg cooked for 4 minutes in the shell makes a perfect soft-boiled
    >> egg. If you find eggs like this unappetizing it is a reflection on your
    >> limited taste and no more.

    > I go with 4-1/2 mins from the fridg myself, but I always buy extra
    > large eggs. This gets me a 90% cooked white with a runny yolk. I
    > think that 3 min thing is for small eggs before refrigeration or Brits
    > who like runny eggs. Let's face it, Brits are weird. Not in a bad
    > way, just weird. ;)
    >
    > nb

    Speaking of weird, I never understood serving cold toast in a rack.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  19. Serene

    Serene Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 04:37:13 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >But, serene, "UK" minutes are longer then "US" minutes. That would b nearly
    >5 minutes here in the good ole US!

    *thwap*

    serene

  20. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    >>> I was *just* trying to simplify! :)
    >>>

    >> simplify???
    >> OR DUMB IT DOWN BECAUSE YOU THINK WE'RE STUPID????????
    >>

    > Lowest common denominator! :)

    wait...what are you saying about my mom?