3 peaks training tips please

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Pign9, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Pign9

    Pign9 Guest

    I am wanting to do the 3 peaks in 24hrs, Has anybody done this and any tips, I did them all last
    year but not in the same day.

    Planning for venture around June time. Unless anybody thinks this is a bad time to go.

    Any tips would be helpful, Like
    1. Is it walkable, or would I have to jog to get within the time limits.
    2. What footwear would you take, runners, or walking boots
    3. What sort of fitness level would you think I need to be at.
    4. Minimum equipment.
    5. Which way round would you do it.
    6. etc.etc

    Thanks in Advance

    Mully

    Tags:

  2. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:59:46 +0000 (UTC), "pign9"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am wanting to do the 3 peaks in 24hrs, Has anybody done this and any tips, I did them all last
    >year but not in the same day.
    >
    >Planning for venture around June time. Unless anybody thinks this is a bad time to go.
    >
    >Any tips would be helpful, Like
    >1. Is it walkable, or would I have to jog to get within the time limits.
    >2. What footwear would you take, runners, or walking boots
    >3. What sort of fitness level would you think I need to be at.
    >4. Minimum equipment.
    >5. Which way round would you do it.
    >6. etc.etc
    >
    >Thanks in Advance
    >
    >Mully

    Read this first

    http://www.blencathra.demon.co.uk/ukrw/n3pc.html
    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
    looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

  3. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am wanting to do the 3 peaks in 24hrs, Has anybody done this and any tips, I did them all last
    >year but not in the same day.
    >
    >Planning for venture around June time. Unless anybody thinks this is a bad time to go.

    A great time...

    I prefer to start at Horton in Ribblesdale, the caff there runs a clocking in system, which is great
    fun, and serves lovely pint mugs of tea.

    Despite my comments in another thread, best go anticlockwise, get the slog between Pen y Ghent and
    Whernside out of the way early, also the Ingleborough descent is easy. Against this you do get the
    murderous side of Ingleborough later in the day.

    June will also avoid the cyclocross event

    You dont need 24 hrs, 12 should do it

    Good luck and enjoy.

    Richard Webb

  4. In message <[email protected]>, RJ Webb
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:59:46 +0000 (UTC), "pign9" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I am wanting to do the 3 peaks in 24hrs, Has anybody done this and any tips, I did them all last
    >>year but not in the same day.
    >>
    >>Planning for venture around June time. Unless anybody thinks this is a bad time to go.
    >
    >A great time...
    >
    >I prefer to start at Horton in Ribblesdale, the caff there runs a clocking in system, which is
    >great fun, and serves lovely pint mugs of tea.
    >
    >Despite my comments in another thread, best go anticlockwise, get the slog between Pen y Ghent and
    >Whernside out of the way early, also the Ingleborough descent is easy. Against this you do get the
    >murderous side of Ingleborough later in the day.
    >
    >June will also avoid the cyclocross event
    >
    >You dont need 24 hrs, 12 should do it
    >
    >Good luck and enjoy.
    >
    >Richard Webb

    Nice one, Richard. Let's hope he meant the real 3 peaks walk too. Not that nasty motorway chase
    other people refer to.

    --
    Martin Richardson
    216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')

  5. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "pign9" <[email protected]> writes:

    > " 3 peaks meaning the three highest mountains in Britain

    If you can walk from sea level up Ben Nevis, Cairn Gorm and wossname in 24 hours without cheats like
    cycling between them, respect. Or something.

    > , Nevis, Scafell
    > and Snowdon tips please folks

    Oh no, that's just an abuse of the motorway system. Covered in morons on an ego-trip. If you have
    problems with self-esteem, see a quack. Or go for a literal penis-extension.

    --
    Nick Kew

  6. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from [email protected] (RJ Webb) contains these words:

    >The 3 Peaks>

    > You dont need 24 hrs, 12 should do it

    12 is more than ample. If you are a really fast walker you should be able to do it in under 6 hours.
    :) (And no, I haven't managed that myself, I can't walk that fast).

    Curious tale from one of my faster rounds. I was back on the road at Horton (ie almost finished)
    when some women I didn't recognise started screaming at me that I had been running (as though
    running on a walk was the worst sin imaginable) and wouldn't take no for an answer. Actually I
    hadn't been running but it was nothing to do with her whether or not I had been. I presume she was
    supporting someone rather slow and having seen me at Ribblehead earlier couldn't believe the
    intervening distance could be covered in that time at walking pace. (About 4 hours under Chapmans
    Rule.) Still doesn't excuse her abusing a total stranger though.

    --

    Roger

  7. Therebel

    Therebel Guest

    "Ha Ha Ha try again fatlad they think you mean yorkshire!!

  8. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:56:19 +0000, Martin Richardson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In message <[email protected]>, RJ Webb
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:59:46 +0000 (UTC), "pign9" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am wanting to do the 3 peaks in 24hrs, Has anybody done this and any tips, I did them all last
    >>>year but not in the same day.
    >>>
    >>>Planning for venture around June time. Unless anybody thinks this is a bad time to go.
    >>
    >>A great time...
    >>
    >>I prefer to start at Horton in Ribblesdale, the caff there runs a clocking in system, which is
    >>great fun, and serves lovely pint mugs of tea.
    >>
    >>Despite my comments in another thread, best go anticlockwise, get the slog between Pen y Ghent and
    >>Whernside out of the way early, also the Ingleborough descent is easy. Against this you do get the
    >>murderous side of Ingleborough later in the day.
    >>
    >>June will also avoid the cyclocross event
    >>
    >>You dont need 24 hrs, 12 should do it
    >>
    >>Good luck and enjoy.
    >>
    >>Richard Webb
    >
    >Nice one, Richard. Let's hope he meant the real 3 peaks walk too. Not that nasty motorway chase
    >other people refer to.

    Never heard of it!

    I thought I would try a different tactic. Who knows they may take our advice and have a great time
    - walking!

    Richard Webb

  9. Pign9

    Pign9 Guest

    " 3 peaks meaning the three highest mountains in Britain , Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon tips
    please folks

    Thanks

    Mully

  10. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:31:07 +0000 (UTC), "pign9"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >" 3 peaks meaning the three highest mountains in Britain , Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon tips
    >please folks
    >
    >Thanks

    Yes Do the Yorkshire one instead!

    Richard Webb

  11. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >" 3 peaks meaning the three highest mountains in Britain , Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon tips
    >please folks

    Read the link I posted and find out why this is a bad question to ask.

    --
    79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The other 42% are made up later on. In Warwick -
    looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

  12. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

  13. Pign9

    Pign9 Guest

  14. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...

    > " 3 peaks meaning the three highest mountains in Britain , Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon tips
    > please folks

    Ah, *that* 3 peaks. Hmmm. May I suggest to the honourable gentleman that he read the FAQ?
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  15. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  16. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "pign9" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Wish I never asked now, obviously nobody on this news group has done it yet, and probably not
    > going too by the sounds of it.

    One or 2 have admitted to it in the past but they all cheated as they didn't bother with the 2 ends
    of the walk which the charity sharks discarded as their coachloads of couch potatoes were totally
    stretched trying to complete the basic hills even with a time extension.

    It has never ever been a worthwhile walk and as a drive it would be a terrible bore on all that
    motorway and dual carriageway that didn't exist when the challenge was new and had the advantage of
    being a real challenge, at least to the driver.

    --

    Roger

  17. Nc

    Nc Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, pign9 <[email protected]> writes
    >> Wish I never asked now,
    >
    > This organisation might be able to help with the training / preparation:
    >
    > http://www.iam.org.uk/

    Doubt it, they promote safe driving, having adequate breaks during long journeys, proper rest,
    understanding how mental state affects control of vehicles, etc..

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  18. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    "pign9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am wanting to do the 3 peaks in 24hrs, Has anybody done this and any
    tips,
    > I did them all last year but not in the same day.
    >
    > Planning for venture around June time. Unless anybody thinks this is a bad time to go.
    >
    > Any tips would be helpful, Like
    > 1. Is it walkable, or would I have to jog to get within the time limits.
    > 2. What footwear would you take, runners, or walking boots
    > 3. What sort of fitness level would you think I need to be at.
    > 4. Minimum equipment.
    > 5. Which way round would you do it.
    > 6. etc.etc
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > Mully

    Perhaps you should consider this site. Full of interesting facts about the 3 Peaks Walk.

    http://www.3peaksdiary.co.uk/

    Mike Mason

  19. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to pign9

    >" 3 peaks meaning the three highest mountains in Britain , Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon tips
    >please folks

    you need a fast car and a radar detector!
    --
    Mike Reid Three Peaks "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/tpeaks.htm" (see web for email)