3 speed Sunway Freewheel threading on Z-bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more). Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?

    Tags:

  2. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    On Sep 2, 1:33 am, meb <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway
    > 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll
    > probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the
    > threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more).
    > Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?
    >
    > --
    > meb

    no idea, but sounds like maybe something you don't want to deal with.
    try lubricating/unsticking the freewheel by getting tri flow or other
    penetrating oil in?

  3. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219

    I think its something to consider changing even if the lubing works-I'll be continuing experimenting with some unusual ideas on this bike, particularly since it otherwise is one of my least practical bikes and therefore an excellent candidate for hacking away with.

    Changing freewheel is something I never considered before this possible failure appear, but it might solve some of the ratio problems I have (29-44 gear inches currently).

  4. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    On Sep 2, 12:33 am, meb <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway
    > 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll
    > probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the
    > threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more).
    > Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?
    >
    > --
    > meb

    That's the way to bet. From this photo:
    http://nordicgroup.us/fold/zbike.jpg
    I'd guess that the hub has the freewheel on one side and a threaded
    band brake on the other. Probably standard english threads (1.37 x
    24tpi) on both sides.

    Jeff

  5. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Yep on the freewheel one side brake on the other.

    If the freewheel puller works with a Shimano puller, it'd be worth the try to see in advance.

  6. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    I lubed it as it got progressively worse and that seems to have restored it.
    Thanks