3 speed Sunway Freewheel threading on Z-bike

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more). Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?

On Sep 2, 1:33 am, meb <[email protected]>
wrote:
> One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway
> 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll
> probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the
> threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more).
> Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?
>
> --
> meb

no idea, but sounds like maybe something you don't want to deal with.
try lubricating/unsticking the freewheel by getting tri flow or other
penetrating oil in?

wrote:
> One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway
> 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll
> probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the
> threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more).
> Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?
>
> --
> meb

no idea, but sounds like maybe something you don't want to deal with.
try lubricating/unsticking the freewheel by getting tri flow or other
penetrating oil in?

I think its something to consider changing even if the lubing works-I'll be continuing experimenting with some unusual ideas on this bike, particularly since it otherwise is one of my least practical bikes and therefore an excellent candidate for hacking away with.

Changing freewheel is something I never considered before this possible failure appear, but it might solve some of the ratio problems I have (29-44 gear inches currently).

On Sep 2, 12:33 am, meb <[email protected]>
wrote:
> One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway
> 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll
> probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the
> threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more).
> Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?
>
> --
> meb

That's the way to bet. From this photo:
http://nordicgroup.us/fold/zbike.jpg
I'd guess that the hub has the freewheel on one side and a threaded
band brake on the other. Probably standard english threads (1.37 x
24tpi) on both sides.

Jeff

wrote:
> One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway
> 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll
> probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the
> threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more).
> Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?
>
> --
> meb

That's the way to bet. From this photo:
http://nordicgroup.us/fold/zbike.jpg
I'd guess that the hub has the freewheel on one side and a threaded
band brake on the other. Probably standard english threads (1.37 x
24tpi) on both sides.

Jeff

Yep on the freewheel one side brake on the other.

If the freewheel puller works with a Shimano puller, it'd be worth the try to see in advance.

wrote:
> One of my folders is a Z-bike and the 3 speed freewheel, a Sunway
> 16/20/24, started snagging while coasting today. If this fails, I'll
> probably upgrade to whatever freewheel I can fit in there-if the
> threading is ok (dropout spacing appears ample to expand to 5 or more).
> Anyone know if that freewheel uses standard english threads?
>
> --
> meb

no idea, but sounds like maybe something you don't want to deal with.
try lubricating/unsticking the freewheel by getting tri flow or other
penetrating oil in?

I lubed it as it got progressively worse and that seems to have restored it.
Thanks