3 tips for those who want to start going to bike to work

F

flaviocsanches

1. Schedules and route

Make your path before you leave home and calculate the time so that you are not hindered in their work environment.

2. Slowly also get there

Make your way slowly and carefully and follow the signs; often haste is the enemy of perfection and if you pedal fast-paced, come in their work as if out of a race; if pedaling slowly, come as if you were walking, it avoids the heavy perspiration.

3. Valet

Install a roof rack on the back of your bike and securely fasten the bag on it. The roof rack is great to carry your personal things (clothes, accessories, etc.) without being an overweight makes you perspire.

I recommend the rack!

I often felt like while the heavy backpack being on my shoulders that it affects my balance on the bike badly. Also take your time with the route first, you will find the best paths after a while. It took me weeks to find out a route to my workplace that is 10 shorter.

One controversial advice would be that you can suffer less at ascents and descents by just using an electric bike, leaving the ride lighter.

The problem is that these models are still quite expensive and the batteries are short.

Man, I wish I could ride to work. But, it's just not feasible for me. It takes 20 minutes for me to drive to work, and I can't risk ruining my clothes or hair because my appearance is important as I have to see multiple clients a day and I am the "face" of the company during these meetings. I also love in Oklahoma, the state known for freezing winters, harsh summers and damn rainy and tornadic springs. So, I'll have to stick to my car. But, I sure wish I could ride my bike!

Reactions: RStewart
I don't use a rack, really. Only because I never felt like need it to my commuting habits. But yeah, setting a schedule is important in order to stick to a route and know how much time you need to arrive your job.

Invest in some good deodorant or find a place you can shower near your work. I don't sweat that much, but I still get a bit funky after a short ride, especially on a hot day. I can't even imagine biking to work for that reason.

Thanks for the post. You gave some nice tips. The first one the most important (schedule and route) and I follow it strictly.

The deodorant thing is something I never considered, makes sence though.. I mean its's quite an exercise so of course I'll sweat

I like that line - slowly also get there. That's my policy in driving a car, drive slow so you can avoid accidents that usually happen when you drive fast. A speeding car will have a problem to brake than a slow moving car. But with the bike, I don't think riding slow is a good advice here because you tend to get all the pollution of smoke and dust if you move slow. With 2-wheels (bike or motorbike) you have to move not so fast but definitely not slow.

One controversial advice would be that you can suffer less at ascents and descents by just using an electric bike, leaving the ride lighter.

The problem is that these models are still quite expensive and the batteries are short.
If it's just to get to work and to save money on gas, an electric bike would a great idea. Are electric bikes even strong enough to go up hills? I guess for light ascents, they would be great.

Those are some great tips. I've never installed a rack on my bike, as I've always though they look kind of lame and dorky. I always carry some stuff on my ruck sack but it's never terribly heavy and doesn't seem to affect my balance. But I guess, if you're riding very long distances or are carrying some heavy items then it's a good idea to install one.

Riding my bike through Chicago I've learned a few things over the years:
Always buy the best bike lock you can find since bikes in the city get stolen all the time. Another one would be to study the area you are going to be commuting in. Knowing the best routes to work helps you get there on time and accident-free (most of the time at least...)

Following the traffic is the most important thing if you want to reach your work-place safely. On the main road, there are different lanes for the cycle and different types of vehicle. If you follow the proper lane and if you follow the traffic rules, then you are safe on the main roads.

Great recommendations, its simple but perfect, and it's really the three most important things you need to do when cycling to and from your workplace. Nice!

How I wish to use my bike going to work. Although I love to do that, the weather condition in our country is not applicable to use bike going to work.

I used to bike to work, but I really hated it when it unexpectedly rains and my work attire gets wet. Thankfully, I can walk to the office right now and I didn't need to be hassled by the rain.