3 weeks before the competition ?

manos

Aug 25, 2006
Hello

I am competing at Masters Category, I am 45, in a 100 km event in around 3 weeks (11 of March)

The first 50 Km are easy but the rest are very difficult with lots off hills.

I am very well train the last 3 months ,5 days a week and about 350KM ,as we had very nice whether in Greece.

All the time the last 2-3 weeks before the event I confused and many times I go very tired at the competition day

I would like same advices that can help me for this day.

Sorry for my English!
Thank you

Manolis

manos said:
Hello

I am competing at Masters Category, I am 45, in a 100 km event in around 3 weeks (11 of March)

I am very well train the last 3 months ,5 days a week and about 350KM ,as we had very nice whether in Greece.

All the time the last 2-3 weeks before the event I confused and many times I go very tired at the competition day

Sorry for my English!
Thank you

Manolis
Here is a great thread to check out when you have time...

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t364533.html

Jim

manos said:
Hello

Sorry for my English!
Thank you

Manolis

1. Take care of organisational things a few days out. Lay out race clothes, bottles, food you will carry, etc. Work out where you need to drive to if you haven't already, organise your transport, etc.

2. Try to sleep well, especially in the last week before the race.

3. Always try to eat sufficient carbohydrate whilst training. Eat plenty of CHO in the leadup to the race.

4. Training...

You need to start dropping your volume whilst maintaining intensity - if you are doing 350km/wk, maybe that needs to go 300-250-160 in the last three weeks leading up to the event. Still, you need to do some hard intervals, though not more than an hour of them a day. These, along with recovery, should dominate your program in the last few weeks before an important event.

By the last week, you do one or interval sessions, but only ride as much as you feel like. You don't want to be tired during that last week. Short rides, intervals are ok, but you should go out riding feeling fresh, and come home feeling invigorated, not tired.

The last couple of days before the event, rest up good, and just have a short hit-out the day before to get the blood flowing and give you confidence in your race equipment.

This advice is very generic. You will go better with a coach fine-tuning a taper to the event and to you as an individual. Still, I think the principles are right and it should help you if you normally feel tired before your big events. YMMV