30 Days - NO BEER

breadbasket1

Mar 22, 2014
~~I am on day 30 of no Beer. I have lost 3.5 inches on my waste and 13 pounds while gaining .5 inches on my quads and keeping my biceps the same size. So I know that I have basically lost fat.

I "replaced" my beer with A &W Diet Root Beer - for now. It taste great and is "less filling"

I should say......I drank Sierra Nevada Torpedo Indian Pale Ale. It has 260 calories for each bottle. I drank 30 bottles a week. So I basically cut 7800 calories a week from my diet.

I have not changed my otherwise healthy diet.

I am a beginner cyclist who is training for races in the summer and fall. I also do long walks in the woods (hills) with my two Corgies and lift weights at home.

Also, since I am a teacher I have 10 weeks "off" in the summer so I often do longer rides and double sessions of weights and aerobics. And I have extra recovery time.

I biked 32 miles this week and I am feeling a HUGE difference.

1. I no longer and burning off alcohol the first few miles.

2. I can go faster and hills are a lot easier since I weight less.

3. Going to the bathroom is AMAZING. I pee better. I am guessing this is because my body doesn't have to work at dealing with the beer?

4. I sleep better

5. I am richer since I save $45 a week which means I spent $2340 a year on BEER !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT giving up beer 100%. I will drink it when I go out to eat but I have not gone out to eat for 30 days. Also, if I am at a party and there is IPA I would drink some.

Reactions: ambal
Good job!

Not only that but alcohol interferes heavily with the glycolytic system and riding, especially riding fast, relies heavily on glycogen as fuel.

Binge type drinking (my favorite) also adversely affects testosterone levels and not great for muscle repair.

And growth hormones involved in tissue repair mainly emerge around the REM cycle. So no dreams is bad news for beat up legs.

My preference is Asahi, delivery method of choice is the 33oz can you see pictured below...

Cheers!

big-smile.png
Quote: Originally Posted by danfoz .
Good job!

Not only that but alcohol interferes heavily with the glycolytic system and riding, especially riding fast, relies heavily on glycogen as fuel.

Binge type drinking (my favorite) also adversely affects testosterone levels and not great for muscle repair.

And growth hormones involved in tissue repair mainly emerge around the REM cycle. So no dreams is bad news for beat up legs.

My preference is Asahi, delivery method of choice is the 33oz can you see pictured below...

Cheers!

Originally Posted by breadbasket1
~~I am on day 30 of no Beer. I have lost 3.5 inches on my waste and 13 pounds while gaining .5 inches on my quads and keeping my biceps the same size. So I know that I have basically lost fat.
Thats great man! All that wasted money will pay for a nice bike soon enough or or cover travel to races you'd normally not bother going to. Weight loss is the big benefit for cycling tho, it's melted off me since I gave up booze 18 months or so ago.

Reactions: breadbasket1
Awesome Steve.

I'm looking forward to dropping more weight.....but I am more concerned with overall health and body fat.

I used to be a bodybuilder (never competed just lifted weights 5-6 times a week) so I know some of my weight is muscle.........

BTW, how much water per day do you competitive folks drink?

I am afraid to drink too much because I would have to stop and pee a lot on a ride?

A lot! Muscles are mostly composed of water and as a beer drinker dehydration is enemy #1.

I go out with two water bottles (usually one has an electrolyte solution in it like Nuun) but make sure I have a big glass of water an hour or so before I hop on the bike. This gives me enough time to pee right before heading out. I usually have to empty the bladder once if the ride is longer than two hours.

If I'm racing I avoid drinking any beer for at least 4 days before, preferably 5. And if I'm doing a longer recreational ride (50+ miles) no beer for at least 2 or 3 days before.

I had to post tonight.

I did a 26 mile ride with a super steep climb from the 16-20 mile mark......last year that hill wiped me out and I had nothing left for the last 6 miles.......

today........it was a piece of cake!........I had lots of legs left .

Granted it was only 59 degrees today and I am talking about last summer when it was 80-90...so some of it has to do with the heat......but I think I am feeling the benefits of only 31 days no beer.........

Originally Posted by danfoz
I go out with two water bottles (usually one has an electrolyte solution in it like Nuun) but make sure I have a big glass of water an hour or so before I hop on the bike. This gives me enough time to pee right before heading out. I usually have to empty the bladder once if the ride is longer than two hours.
I got a 64 oz vacuum-insulated growler. It doesn't get condensation on my other stuff.

I should say......I drank Sierra Nevada Torpedo Indian Pale Ale. It has 260 calories for each bottle. I drank 30 bottles a week. So I basically cut 7800 calories a week from my diet.
Replace the soda with fruit/vegetable blender shakes.

GOOD JOB man!

i did it the same 2 years ago, got rid of AL in my body
stop drinking while riding periods

luve it. much more better t omy body

im sending you story to my bro, thats still LIKES his beer

that is cool and great.

I have gained 3 pounds back, in part because I am sure my body is adjusting/conserving and slowing down my metabolism, in part because my bike is in the shop for a summer tune-up, in part because I have eaten too many carbs this last week.

I also have more than average muscle from bodybuilding....so I know I cannot focus on weight as much as size...

My next goal is too really clean up my diet...which I think will take more weight/fat off.

I also have more than average muscle from bodybuilding....so I know I cannot focus on weight as much as size...

My next goal is too really clean up my diet...which I think will take more weight/fat off.
Since you're an endurance athlete it's easy, eat mostly good clean carbs from whole foods. You wont get fat on steamed rice, pasta, vegetables like potato or sweet potato etc.. Also 'Big Brococli' isn't trying to trick you into buying more of their prepackaged junk everytime you go shopping.

Since you lift, you probably want more protein than most cyclists. Thats easy, there are plenty of healthy options without falling for stupid whey suppliments. Lots of vegatables are relativly high in protein, as are grains/seeds/nuts/legumes etc.. and also high quality meat is an ovbious inclusion for most people.

The average person is already over fed on protein, even if you don't eat meat you'd likely meet your daily requirement by lunchtime without trying, assumming you ate a diet based on real food. F_ck the fad diets!

I "replaced" my beer with A &W Diet Root Beer - for now. It taste great and is "less filling"

I have not changed my otherwise healthy diet.

I am a beginner cyclist who is training for races in the summer and fall. I also do long walks in the woods (hills) with my two Corgies and lift weights at home.

Also, since I am a teacher I have 10 weeks "off" in the summer so I often do longer rides and double sessions of weights and aerobics. And I have extra recovery time.

I biked 32 miles this week and I am feeling a HUGE difference.

1. I no longer and burning off alcohol the first few miles.

2. I can go faster and hills are a lot easier since I weight less.

3. Going to the bathroom is AMAZING. I pee better. I am guessing this is because my body doesn't have to work at dealing with the beer?

4. I sleep better

5. I am richer since I save $45 a week which means I spent $2340 a year on BEER !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT giving up beer 100%. I will drink it when I go out to eat but I have not gone out to eat for 30 days. Also, if I am at a party and there is IPA I would drink some.
I enjoy an occasional beer and I enjoy root beer also. :)

It's pretty astonishing how tasty craft beer and root beer can be.

I was never a heavy drinker and never will be. When it comes right down to it, beer leaves me with a sour feeling in my stomach, and even when I drink occasionally, I have to avoid it most days. The sour feeling can be conveniently ignored when socializing however, hmmm.

A second factor is that I'm too damn cheap to be spending $5 or $6 on a single beverage. Makes little sense to me.

Ultimately, you will want to take a look at the ingredients in root beer as well. Is that healthy for you? It may not be as toxic as alcohol, but it's far from healthy.

You've taken a big step in the right direction. Now, how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? :)

Thanks.

Yeah, the diet root beer I drink isn't perfect. I'm weaning myself this week....going to replace at least 50% of the diet root beer with water.

I guess its better than regular root beer which is full of sugar.

Thanks.

Yeah, the diet root beer I drink isn't perfect. I'm weaning myself this week....going to replace at least 50% of the diet root beer with water.

I guess its better than regular root beer which is full of sugar.
I assumed you were drinking regular soda. Both regular and diet soda are harmful in different ways. The processed sugar + acid of regular soda is disaster for your teeth and for your health in general.

But diet soda, with aspartame, is also extremely unhealthy. Aspartame is a neurotoxin which breaks down into 2 carcinogens at 86 degrees fahrenheit.

Some diet soda's also contain phenylalanine, whose effects can be read about here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/phenylalanine/faq-20058361

Most people in the US and increasingly in Europe and elsewhere, are in such poor health, they just take their dis-eased state forgranted. Don't be one of them.

edit: Whoa. I read your op more carefully. 30 beers a week. That's a lot.

Originally Posted by danfoz
A lot! Muscles are mostly composed of water and as a beer drinker dehydration is enemy #1.

If I'm racing I avoid drinking any beer for at least 4 days before, preferably 5. And if I'm doing a longer recreational ride (50+ miles) no beer for at least 2 or 3 days before.
The Tamahumara people of Mexico sometimes run up to 200 miles across country, often with no shoes, fueled initially by home brewed corn beer. This about that one when you're going out for less than half the distance on a state of the art bicycle on good roads...

Originally Posted by swampy1970

The Tamahumara people of Mexico sometimes run up to 200 miles across country, often with no shoes, fueled initially by home brewed corn beer. This about that one when you're going out for less than half the distance on a state of the art bicycle on good roads...

It's a mistake to compare either ourselves with the Tarahumara with the average american, or to compare their beer with ours.

As far as the beer sold in the US, it contains:

Propylene Glycol (an ingredient found in anti-freeze)

carinogenic food coloring

food dye made from petroleum

genetically modified corn syrup

It should go without saying that beer, as manufactured for american consumption, is thoroughly toxic.

A naturally brewed, fresh corn beer has absolutely no resemblance to the toxic sludge which we call beer sold in american supermarkets.

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

---

Also, apart from their consumption of fresh, natural beer, their diet is very healthy.

“It’s mostly beans, squash, chilli peppers, wild greens, ground corn and chia.” (Chia is a seed that can absorb more than 12 times its weight in water, and is available online at www.amazon.com)
The Tarahumara’s favourite drink, apart from home-brewed corn beer, is a little concoction whipped up by dissolving chia seeds in water and adding a little sugar and a squirt of lime. As tiny as those seeds are, they’re packed with omega-3s, protein, fibres and antioxidants.

http://www.menshealth.com.sg/mh-runners/secrets-tarahumara-runners

--

It should also go without saying that the level and type of physical activity of the Tarahumara is much higher and much more varied than the average american.

Therefore, it is illogical and highly misleading to suggest that an average american, drinking american beer, can come anywhere close to approximating the physical endurance of the tarahumara.

edit: I should add that those smooth, unvarying roads are not what you need to improve coordination or strength. You actually need to engage in varied activities and exercise in order to 'shock' your body into new muscle development.

edit 2: as I suspected, the tara beer is a low alcohol, high carb drink which provides a lot of energy without any of the garbage preservatives and additives of the commercial product sold in the 'industrialized' world.

It provides energy but an enormous amount would have to be consumed in order to get a 'buzz.' Meanwhile, we drink beer strictly in order to get buzzed, not because of any nutritional value.

The lesson to be learned is that if you are going to drink beer, make it yourself, from the freshest natural ingredients, and drink it while consuming very fresh fruits and vegetables.

edit 3: it also appears as if the shoes we use promote a heel strike, which promotes injuries. The shoes we use are overly protective, and tend to take on the job of shock absorption which would normally allow our muscles to grow.

This is all very sad.

We are supposed to the most technologically advanced culture on earth and all this is doing is making us fatter, more sedentary and less physically fit than ever before.