30 Days - NO BEER

You need to revisit your interwebz sources - Propylene Glycol is used in the chilling systems used in breweries, it is not added to the beer itself. It's like saying that synthetic gear oil is added to your chicken because your chicken went up a conveyor belt.

What goes into beer is monitored by the department that used to be known as the ATF - now the tax and trade bureau. While you might not see a label on the can, they know what goes into the beer. Because it's used as part of the manufacturing process (despite not as an ingredient) it has to be listed.

There are some sodas that have the stuff in - Mountain Dew springs to mind - but that drink has bigger issues.

Feel free to carry on with the multiple edits...

Originally Posted by swampy1970
You need to revisit your interwebz sources - Propylene Glycol is used in the chilling systems used in breweries, it is not added to the beer itself. It's like saying that synthetic gear oil is added to your chicken because your chicken went up a conveyor belt.

What goes into beer is monitored by the department that used to be known as the ATF - now the tax and trade bureau. While you might not see a label on the can, they know what goes into the beer. Because it's used as part of the manufacturing process (despite not as an ingredient) it has to be listed.

There are some sodas that have the stuff in - Mountain Dew springs to mind - but that drink has bigger issues.

Feel free to carry on with the multiple edits...
I'll investigate the propylene glycol issue further. Nonetheless, there is a very long list of toxic ingredients in the beer that most americans consume. I hope you are not disputing this general point. Feel free to share a source btw.

There is no evidence, regardless of the propylene glycol issue however, that fresh brewed, natural corn beer is in any way equivalent to the garbage being sold in grocery stores or 'served' in bars here.

There are just so many differences between the tarahumara and american way of life that to suggest that beer drinking is a viable source of 'fuel' for cycling is preposterous.

Here is swampy's source:

http://maureenogle.com/maureen-ogle/2013/08/18/whats-in-your-beer-or-the-dangers-of-dumbassery

The author begins rather inauspiciously, by proclaiming that anyone who criticizes GMO's are "haters" and that anyone who criticizes the major beer companies are neo-prohibitionist "dumbasses."

To wit:

Many people who preach a GMO gospel, either for or against, base their view less on fact than on ideology. GMO haters are particularly vociferous and, alas, sadly ignorant of basic facts about this technology. Worse, many organizations, both non- and for-profit, cater to nonsense and misinformation as a way to promote their causes/industries.

Ogle cites several individuals who have worked in breweries, and not surprisingly, all of them deny any use of the harmful ingredients cited.

However, in the comments section, several people state that this blanket denial is simply inaccurate:

PGA (propylene glycol alginate) is an obvious source of propylene glycol in beer. It is commonly used, even by 'craft' brewers to help with head retention and texture. Isinglass and gelatin finings arrive at the brewery heavily preserved with sulfites. It is an obvious source of 'added' sulfites in beer as opposed to the naturally ocurring ones. it is also not uncommon to exceed the recommended application rate for 'difficult to fine' beers. These sulfites are not 'left behind in the tank bottoms'.

In other words, the individuals that Ogle cites are either ignorant or lying. And it is also quite clear that Ogle is engaging in the same type of fear-mongering she proclaims foodbabe to be engaged in.

And yes, PG is quite commonly used in foods and soda's.

Finally, alcohol in and of itself is a carcinogen.

Therefore, I do agree that cutting back or even eliminating alcohol consumption is a good idea. I also agree that cutting back or eliminating soda consumption is a good idea.

If there is an upside to drinking beer and riding bikes I can't see it, you're all mad!

Some breweries make "beer" with added sugars inside that do not come from barley.

This can be done for a few reasons, mainly though it is in order to increase alchohol content without using more barley (yeast brakes down sugars into alchohol and gas in the "fermentation" process).

Not all sugars are evil, Belgian beers for example use sugars for second fermentation. Also some of the "caramelized" grains are also used to change the color of the beer etc.

If you are worried about all that, then maybe you could just drink German beer.

In Germany, there is a law called "The beer purity law" or something, which states that anything that is sold as "Beer" must not contain anything else but the four ingredients of:

-Water
-Barley
-Yeast
-Hops

and nothing else.

So according to that law, "Corona's", "Duvel's" etc are not considered "Beer".

Reinheitsgebot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Unfortunately around here (not in Germany) there are breweries that use glukoze syrups to make some beers. These are indeed kinda nasty and definately not "fine brews" like the Belgian ales...

Now if they "run" some extra stuff inside the wort whilst brewing to alter the fermantation process and then "wash" them off before bottling (the rumours that the process of making "Nescafe" includes the use of sulfur comes to mind)... It kinda sounds weird. I doubt that it makes any sense... They might do but...

new_rider said:
Here is swampy's source: http://maureenogle.com/maureen-ogle/2013/08/18/whats-in-your-beer-or-the-dangers-of-dumbassery The author begins rather inauspiciously, by proclaiming that anyone who criticizes GMO's are "haters" and that anyone who criticizes the major beer companies are neo-prohibitionist "dumbasses." To wit: Many people who preach a GMO gospel, either for or against, base their view less on fact than on ideology. GMO haters are particularly vociferous and, alas, sadly ignorant of basic facts about this technology.  Worse, many organizations, both non- and for-profit, cater to nonsense and misinformation as a way to promote their causes/industries. Ogle cites several individuals who have worked in breweries, and not surprisingly, all of them deny any use of the harmful ingredients cited.  However, in the comments section, several people state that this blanket denial is simply inaccurate: PGA (propylene glycol alginate) is an obvious source of propylene glycol in beer. It is commonly used, even by 'craft' brewers to help with head retention and texture. Isinglass and gelatin finings arrive at the brewery heavily preserved with sulfites. It is an obvious source of 'added' sulfites in beer as opposed to the naturally ocurring ones. it is also not uncommon to exceed the recommended application rate for 'difficult to fine' beers. These sulfites are not 'left behind in the tank bottoms'. In other words, the individuals that Ogle cites are either ignorant or lying. And it is also quite clear that Ogle is engaging in the same type of fear-mongering she proclaims foodbabe to be engaged in.  And yes, PG is quite commonly used in foods and soda's.  Finally, alcohol in and of itself is a carcinogen.  Therefore, I do agree that cutting back or even eliminating alcohol consumption is a good idea. I also agree that cutting back or eliminating soda consumption is a good idea. 
Damn, you're a presumptuous little twit aren't you. That wasn't where I looked - nor did I need to look for data in response to your post. I did that years ago... ... But becareful - there's a chemtrail overhead. Take your family and hide in the fallout shelter for a week.

... But becareful - there's a chemtrail overhead. Take your family and hide in the fallout shelter for a week.

Chemtrails are so last light-year... It's all about bread addiction now.

Did you know that:

1. 76% of all criminal activity occured 24h after the consumption of bread.

2. 99% of the people that tried bread, tried again.

3. Bread is a "gateway drug" to "cookies", "cake" etc...

4. Flour can absorb 1/3 of it's volume of water. The human body is made of 70% water.

etc.

Not saying that this thread is bordeline "eating disorder" but... Actually why not say it?
big-smile.png

"I havent had bread for 2 days. Now I finally feel bread-less and I also found a parking place easier."

Veeegans!!! Where are the Vegans? We need to hear why eating meat so bad again!

Why dont you guys just sign up in a cult or something like normal people do?
big-smile.png
Why change your diet to be in an "exclusive" part of people? There must be some hot chicks in those AA meetings and them Vegan groups...
confused.png

Podium after the Amstel Gold race.

The already ko'd brewski belongs to Philippe Gilbert...

Damn, you're a presumptuous little twit aren't you.

That wasn't where I looked - nor did I need to look for data in response to your post. I did that years ago...

... But becareful - there's a chemtrail overhead. Take your family and hide in the fallout shelter for a week.
LOL, when all else fails.... :)

Hello everyone.

Original poster and new member here.

Wow....this thread has taken quite a road turn and has opened my eyes a lot.

Just want to steer it back in the direction of my original intent.

1. I feel better not drinking beer
2. I am losing weight
3. I am biking better

Yes, I finally have gone out to eat and had one IPA with my dinner.
Meh...it was okay.......

I am working on cleaning up the rest of my diet.

I am serious about losing fast and weight so I can feel better, bike better, look better and live longer.

Reactions: steve
30 days and no beer?

I don't think that's even possible, even if you get thrown in jail...

30 days and no beer?

"Breadbasket", the mans nickname is "Breadbasket"...
big-smile.png

0.jpg

30 days and no beer?

I haven't had a beer since sometime in 2012
cool.png

Somebody pray for me
cool.png

Yesterday I dropped the diet root beer and am drinking water, milk, fruit smoothies, Gatorade.

No more diet root beer.

I have to admit....I got addicted to it !

But I DO think it leads to eating craving more carbs/sugar. Actually Dr. Oz had a great show on this a few weeks ago.........showing scientific "proof" that its the carbonation in the sodas, whether diet or not, that send a signal to your brain the next thing you "need" is a sugary carb.

Of course they never took into account a persons willpower or discipline, they acted like there was no hope for you if you drank soda........but I can see that is DOES make it harder diet correctly.

Anyway, thought I would just update my beer thread....its really all about me losing body fat and weight so I can cycle better.

I am almost finished with Tyler Hamilton's book 'The Secret Race' and its amazing how important diet was to all those guys.(Great book by the way, I cant put it down)

Originally Posted by breadbasket1
Somebody pray for me
cool.png

Yesterday I dropped the diet root beer and am drinking water, milk, fruit smoothies, Gatorade.

No more diet root beer.

But I DO think it leads to eating craving more carbs/sugar. Actually Dr. Oz had a great show on this a few weeks ago.........showing scientific "proof" that its the carbonation in the sodas, whether diet or not, that send a signal to your brain the next thing you "need" is a sugary carb.

Of course they never took into account a persons willpower or discipline, they acted like there was no hope for you if you drank soda........but I can see that is DOES make it harder diet correctly.

Anyway, thought I would just update my beer thread....its really all about me losing body fat and weight so I can cycle better.

I am almost finished with Tyler Hamilton's book 'The Secret Race' and its amazing how important diet was to all those guys.(Great book by the way, I cant put it down)
Right on brotha! You're doing the right thing!

I would hasten to add however, that cycling is hardly the 'holy grail' when it comes to exercise. You need to find activities which strengthen the upper body (road riding does nothing for you in that regard), and activities which are weight bearing (cycling is not). Mountain biking may be marginally better in both regards (or were better before 8" of cush suspension front and rear).

A brisk walk, gardening and/or simply doing household chores are all great. Depending upon age and fitness, full or half pushups and/or pull ups are great too.

Also, I wouldn't pay very much attention to what professional cyclists say about nutrition. It's very, very simple to figure out what's healthy to eat and drink and what's not.

Originally Posted by breadbasket1
Somebody pray for me
cool.png

No more diet root beer.

Good job on nixing the soda, though I do love me a Coke with the occasional slice of pizza.

I have heard good things about Tyler's book, I may pick up a copy at the bookstore today. It'll be next on the nightstand right after I finish up with the latest Jack Reacher novel.

Reactions: breadbasket1