Bike buying advice · Public discussion

30 mile commute - which bike?

Started by dog3074 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,819 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
13 July 2010
Last activity
16 July 2010
Original author
dog3074
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,819
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I'm hoping that some of you more experienced cyclists will be able to help me here. I've started a new job and decided to commute to work through cycling as it's a great way of maintaining fitness. I initially looked at the cycle to work schemes but the prospect of forking out over the year to pretty much give the bike back seems a little daft to me so I'm going to buy one. The thing is I haven't ridden a bike in so long I really don't know where to start and am a little worried that if I go to a shop I'll get shafted!

    I've decided that for the kind of distance I'll be travelling (15 miles there, 15 back) a road bike would be best but really don't know whether to go to a shop and get a brand new one or look on eBay for a slightly older one but with slightly better components if you get what I mean. The two 'new' bikes I've seen on the net were a £830 Corratec Dolomiti and a £625 Giant Defy 3 but I can't tell the difference between them and was really hoping on only spending the £400 mark.

    Really what I'm after is a couple of suggestions re makes and models - I'm not bothered about 'designer' makes or having the latest model (I'm quite happy to be seen in a 2008 model!) but I'm really ignorant of what makes a good bike; I saw a Raleigh bike for £499 but is Raleigh any good?? Someone suggested the Kona Smoke as a good all-rounder, what do you guys and girls think?

    Also, apart from lights and a helmet do I need anything else? Do I need those padded shorts or will I get away without them? Really cost is the most important thing but I want something that will last (I'll be doing this journey in winter too)...

    Ladies and Gents..... over to you!

  2. dog3074 said:

    The two 'new' bikes I've seen on the net were a £830 Corratec Dolomiti and a £625 Giant Defy 3 but I can't tell the difference between them and was really hoping on only spending the £400 mark.

    I saw a Raleigh bike for £499 but is Raleigh any good?? Someone suggested the Kona Smoke as a good all-rounder, what do you guys and girls think?

    Also, apart from lights and a helmet do I need anything else? Do I need those padded shorts or will I get away without them?

    I've got a Giant Defy 3 and I have been very happy with it. I've posted a review on my blog (see link below). I don't know much about the Dolomiti, but from a quick search it looks like it might have higher-end components versus the Defy 3.

    I think there are some Raleigh bikes that would be fine for your purpose. The Kona Smoke looks like it might be a good commuter, but it is definitely different from the road bikes you are looking at.

    In addition to helmet and lights, you'd need a lock, water bottle and cage, a saddle bag with spare tubes and tire levers, a CO2 inflator and/or a bike frame pump. A bell can come in handy, also. If you go with a road-type bike, I think you'll either want cycling shorts or padded liners (underwear), perhaps not needed with a bike like the Kona Smoke. I've also written a couple of posts about beginner bike gear and road bike gear on my blog with some specific recommendations.

    Hope this helps!

  3. I'm confused, you say you want to spend around 400 but the bikes you listed range from 625 to 830! Where you at, 400 or 830? I like Kona's but not sure how much the Smoke cost for you where you live.

  4. take a look at this..

    Giant Escape 4 2010.5 - Hybrid Sports Bike | Tredz Online Bike Shop

  5. you say you want to spend around 400 but the bikes you listed range from 625 to 830! Where you at, 400 or 830? I like Kona's but not sure how much the Smoke cost for you where you live.[LEFT]

    [/LEFT]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.