300 lbr bike buying recommendations

John Schlesinge

Guest
I just moved to a neighborhood with a bike trail(paved) right next door. Would like to start riding
again. Would like to know which bike(s) can handle the stress. Even when I was 220 I was hard on my
bikes. Thanks for your help. John

If you're hard on bikes, then get a sturdy bike, like a mountain bike. Road bikes are build for
lightness, speed, and grace, but mountain bikes are made to take a pounding. If you want to ride
longer distances, perhaps a touring bike might do. And especially get good strong wheels, preferably
36 spokes, or even 40 (if you can get them). It's the wheels that take a beating more than the
frame. Good luck, and have fun!

John Schlesinger wrote:

> I just moved to a neighborhood with a bike trail(paved) right next door. Would like to start
> riding again. Would like to know which bike(s) can handle the stress. Even when I was 220 I was
> hard on my bikes. Thanks for your help. John

>I just moved to a neighborhood with a bike trail(paved) right next door. Would like to start riding
>again. Would like to know which bike(s) can handle the stress. Even when I was 220 I was hard on my
>bikes. Thanks for your help. John

My thinking is that just about any decent MTB can handle 300lbs. Find a good local bike shop that is
willing to take some time with you and you should be able to get something durable, reliable and
comfortable.

Jon

"John Schlesinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just moved to a neighborhood with a bike trail(paved) right next door. Would like to start
> riding again. Would like to know which bike(s) can handle the stress. Even when I was 220 I was
> hard on my bikes.

The biggest issue at your weight will be wheels. Wheel strength/durability is as mostly a matter of
quality of build/prep more than $$, once you reach a certain (fairly low) threshold. You would
probably be OK with a mid-range mountain bike (swap knobby tires for slicks for pavement),
preferably with no suspension, since, at your weight, that'd be another problem. For a more road-ish
bike, and a little more money, you might look at either touring or autocross bikes. The former are
designed to carry rider and cargo loads, so are more beefy, the latter are designed to take off-road
wear & tear. You might get by with a hybrid or "comfort" bike, if that's more your style, but you'd
need to pick carefully and get good prep.

At your size, the support of a good bike shop will make the difference. They'll know what will work
& how to set it up. You may spend a few more bucks initially, but it'll be cheaper in the long run.
You'll need very well set up wheels, which means (in addition to beefy -- 36 spokes min, good hubs
and rims) high & uniform spoke tension and spoke stress relieving (read the section in the on-line
FAQ about wheels). A good shop will set you up right, then be there if you need support later.

I originally thought Mountain Bike. But was not sure. What price range are we talking about? I would
like to spend less than 300-- before changing rims and moving to slicks. Can I get something for
that to get me started? John

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (John Schlesinger) writes:
> I originally thought Mountain Bike. But was not sure. What price range are we talking about? I
> would like to spend less than 300-- before changing rims and moving to slicks. Can I get something
> for that to get me started? John

For your requirements and budget, I think a good starting point to look for could be a Trek 800
Sport. It pretty well has all the qualifications that Peter listed, and I think it's good value in
an inexpensive bike. Maybe check around at your local bike shops. Chances are, they'll have other
suggestions that are more suitable to you, as to how well whichever bikes they have fit you best,
etc. As I said, my suggestion (the 800 Sport) is only a starting point rather than an outright
recommendation.

cheers, Tom