300 Watts FTP will get me....

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by vio765, Jul 13, 2007.

1. vio765

vio765 New Member

imagine a flat out and back TT course. assuming full aero setup (zipp 909, Giro advantage helmet, skinsuit, Leader TT frame, aerobar, aero seatpost), what kind of times could a rider expect while producing 300 watts for a 40k TT? rider is 65 pounds and naturally very aero. weather is no wind, mid-70s. road surface is smooth

Tags:

2. Eden

Eden New Member

The bicycle speed and power calculator sayz.... about 57 minutes. Of course I've had to make some assumptions so better you go to http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm and plug in all the variables yourself. Maybe take off a little time for all the aero equipment that the calculator doesn't take into account.

3. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

I think maybe you should see a doctor - you're anorexic!:D Tyson

4. Eden

Eden New Member

I don't even weigh that little :rolleyes: (and I'm only 5 feet tall) so I assumed a 1 belonged in front of that....... if it were a 2 (or 3) then wearing a skinsuit would be farily unlikely...... (and even more unlikely to be described as naturally aero ;) )

5. bikerboy

bikerboy New Member

If the human weighed 65 pounds at 60 inches tall and could somehow manage to muster 300 watts for a sustainable power output... the conditions were flat with no wind influence... The bicycle described weighed 16 pounds and was of triatholon or TT bike type aerodynamics...That would be a time of 49 min and 25 seconds according Kreuzotter website calculations. The average speed would be 30.4 mph. Throw in some typical rolling undulations and I dont know... Mabe a 55 min or so at 27 mph...

Take into account I weigh 145 pounds at 67 inches and that is about my sustainable power output working like a dog...

If the rider was 165 pounds like mentioned below, the time would be still be 56:30 on a dead, and I mean dead flat smooth desert road with no wind. Throw in some hills and that extra 100 lb is like driving a tank instead of Michael Schumacher's Ferrari. Resistance and speed would be exponentially altered in a dramatic fashion. You guess the results of that. I think your too Fat, go on a diet fatty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bikerboy

bikerboy New Member

The climbing potential for a 65 lb rider with a 300 watt FTP would be awsome.

Thats like a 6 or 7 year old kid being able to run a marathon in sub 2:25...
    Could you imagine a little kid riding a 40K in 55 minutes? I bet they are out there, mabe just sitting at home playing videogames instead. I wonder what some of these NBA players' potential is for cycling, they run and run... At full potential the 65 lb 1st grader could eventually have a FTP of 650 watts at 135 pounds. He could win the 2007 Tour de France by hours. A sub 2 hr marathon... Its possible, I know it is! Just a little gene therepy... Some drugs... That would make a star, and the drug companies good publicity!!!

I have way too much time on my hands and I'm boooooooooooooored. By.

7. vio765

vio765 New Member

im sorry everyone. i ment 65 kilos

8. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Why not just ride one and find out?

9. vio765

vio765 New Member

if i went to try a 40k TT at 300 watts, i would have to stop after about 4 minutes! i recently talked with our "local fastman" and he explained he could do a 40k TT at ~325 watts. i figure that i might be able to get up to about 300 watts in a year or two. he regularly does 52-53min 40k's. if that can be done at 325 Watts, what could 300 watts do? 54-55min?

10. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

have you even done a TT at your current sustainable power? when you have report back your time and average power (and conditions) and we can tell you pretty closely how fast YOU will go on 300 (or 325 or 275) watts. It's way too individual to compare with someone else's power/speed - unless you are indentical twins perhaps!

11. Ergoman

Ergoman New Member

Don't be an FTP worshiper. FTP is just a number based on assumptions that used in conjunction with other numbers based on other assumptions will give you an estimate of your potential performance.

If you really want to know how fast you'll go, ride a 40k TT as you describe. Once you know your time, then for a laugh you can go back and calculate your FTP. No matter what you calculate, your 40k TT time will remain unchanged.

12. shawndoggy

shawndoggy New Member

Well yeah, if he were asking "Can I be a Cat 1?" or something like that... but "worshiping" FTP in the context of a 40K TT certainly isn't misplaced since it's by definition 40K TT power.

Back to the question, I weigh about 72K, and I did 56:09 in 2006 on 289w and 55 even on 309 this year. And I could be more aero.

13. vio765

vio765 New Member

i am currently able to do a 40k TT at about 1h2min. in fact, i beat me personal best by nearly a minute last sunday. i ride about 5 TTs a year. 4 of those are more for "performance updates" to guide my training. but the last TT is my A-priority race of the year. anyway, on all the TTs except for the A-priority race, i ride with my zipp 404 powertap. i can push out 225W (according to last sunday's TT). i have been slacking in my training this year do to personal reasons, but i feel that once i am able to focus on training, i would like to push around 300 Watts within the next couple of years. so 225 watts will get me 1h2m right now. what would 300 watts get me?

14. Eden

Eden New Member

Why not try the calculator? It looks like you have more than enough data to put in there. Put in your wattage and adjust the other variables until you get the time you did your last TT at, then change the wattage and see what you get. I'm sure its not going to be spot on since conditions can always change, but it'll probably be more accurate than asking a person....
    (I messed around with it and it came up with about a 6 minute improvement)

15. Ergoman

Ergoman New Member

Wouldn't it be much more accurate to estimate FTP on the basis of 40K TT speed than it would to estimate 40K TT speed on the basis of a guess at FTP? The point being that what you do in a 40K TT determines FTP, not the other way round.

16. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

all else being equal 300 vs. 225W @62min should get you in the 55-56 min region. good luck with the training.

17. bikerboy

bikerboy New Member

TT'ing isnt the race of truth anymore. Its a competition of who can cheat more with ultra expensive wheels and aero frames. Only at the pro/ 1 level is a TT a legitimate contest... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRING

18. bikerboy

bikerboy New Member

TT's arn't worth upgrade points either because they are bogus.

19. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

http://www.analyticcycling.com/

20. Eden

Eden New Member

TT's aren't worth upgrade points because you don't gain any bike handling or tactical skills by racing them. No one wants an ultra strong, but completely pack inexperienced person going up.
    I also disagree that its all about equipment. All the aero stuff in the world won't help you if you don't have some measure of physical ability. Fancy wheels and fancy bikes will shave off seconds, but if you're not already finishing up near the top its probably not going to help you too much.