3000 miles in 10 months... so Why am I still fat?

>Not true. Eating protein allowed us to develop bigger and better bodies and
>brains.
>
>I agree about the denture configuration, but we do have the ability to cook
>the meat.

But our primitive ancestors did not use fire so their brain size increase could
not have come from eating cooked meat. **** erectis was the first guy believed
to have used fire. So all the increase from A. africanus to H. erectis was
done without fire.

Also protein from vegetarian sources works perfectly well. There are many
large brained critters out there that are strict vegetarians including a fair
number of humans.

On 26 May 2004 13:39:05 GMT, [email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote:
>The thing is if you look at the diets in many 3rd world nations, the people are
>lean. They eat very little fat or animal protein. They eat a lot of whole
>grains and vegetables.

No, they don't eat a lot of grains and vegetables. They don't eat a
lot of anything. If they did, they'd probably not be 3rd world.

>Also their diabetes and heart disease rates are very low.

I'm shooting from the hip here, but I'd guess they die pretty young,
before those diseases set in.

>So the diet is certainly healthy. It is much more healthy then what
>passes for a diet in the land of the big mac.

I'd like to see some numbers before I believe that 3rd world people
are healthier than people in the US.

Big macs are icky, though. Most people don't realize it because
there's so much garbage on top of the "meat" that they can't taste
the "meat".
--
Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On 26 May 2004 13:39:05 GMT, [email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote:
> >The thing is if you look at the diets in many 3rd world nations, the people are
> >lean. They eat very little fat or animal protein. They eat a lot of whole
> >grains and vegetables.

> No, they don't eat a lot of grains and vegetables. They don't eat a
> lot of anything. If they did, they'd probably not be 3rd world.
>
> >Also their diabetes and heart disease rates are very low.

> I'm shooting from the hip here, but I'd guess they die pretty young,
> before those diseases set in.
>
> >So the diet is certainly healthy. It is much more healthy then what
> >passes for a diet in the land of the big mac.

> I'd like to see some numbers before I believe that 3rd world people
> are healthier than people in the US.

They aren't; they just have _different_ health problems, typically
caused by poor nutrition and sanitation.

newsgroups if possible).

>>The thing is if you look at the diets in many 3rd world nations, the people
>are
>>lean. They eat very little fat or animal protein. They eat a lot of whole
>>grains and vegetables.

>No, they don't eat a lot of grains and vegetables. They don't eat a
>lot of anything. If they did, they'd probably not be 3rd world.

They eat a lot of grains and vegetables because those are what they can either
grow or afford to buy.

>>Also their diabetes and heart disease rates are very low.

>I'm shooting from the hip here, but I'd guess they die pretty young,
>before those diseases set in.

You do not understand "life expectancy". If the life expectancy is 30 years,
it does not mean that everyone expires on their 30th birthday. If you look at
the life tables for 3rd world nations, you will find out that the lowered life
expectancy is the result of high infant and childhood mortality. Once people
get past a certain age, their mortality rates are often pretty similar to
people from industrialized nations. If you look at people of say middle age
and up in 3rd world nations and industrialized nations, the people in the
industrialized nations have much higher rates of heart disease and diabetes.

>I'd like to see some numbers before I believe that 3rd world people
>are healthier than people in the US.

I didn't say they were healthier.

On 27 May 2004 13:25:12 GMT, [email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote:
>I didn't say they were healthier.

Well, then that's the life for me! Less health, no job, no fun,
swatting flies off my sweaty ass all day, but I get to enjoy that
life for longer!

Where do I sign up?
--
Rick Onanian

Hi Doug,

Here's my take. I think you are eating too much. As some others have
said, exercise alone does not take off weight. Your body's natural
response to a drop in blood sugar from exercising is to get hungrier,
so typically people simply replace the used calories by eating more.

What to do? First, if you want to use cycling to help you lose weight
you have to do a specific kind of workout. When you deplete your
body of sugar you become hungry. So, the way to exercise if you want
to lose weight is long and slow. Don't sprint or do hills or anything
that will get your heart rate up. Do long flat slow relaxed rides.
This way your body will be better able to keep its sugar level up for
the entire ride. I've heard women call it "fat burning" but the
concept is basically to burn calories while avoiding hunger.

The other thing is you have to change your life style so you eat less.
Everyone does it differently, but basically you have to learn to feel
good when you are a little hungry, and not make food the highlight of
your day. Don't starve yourself because that's hard for anyone to
keep up. It's too painful. Just slowly, day by day, watch your
eating and reduce it bit by bit. It's okay to eat a big meal
sometimes, just not every day. Think about it like a car's gas tank.
If you fill it up one day there's no need to fill it up again the
next. After a little while your stomach will shrink a bit and you
will feel full with less food, and you will slowly start losing
weight. I'd aim for about a couple pounds per month or so. More
would be nice but can be too painful. Since it takes about 3500
calories of excess food to gain a pound of weight, this means you will
be eating about 200 calories less per day, which is about what's in a
large soft drink, so shouldn't be too painful. Note that in the first
few weeks you may lose weight faster but that is partly because your
system will empty out a bit as you eat less, so it's not real weight
loss. At that rate you will be back to your former weight in a few
years, and by that time you will be entirely used to your new eating
habits such that they feel normal.

Good luck!

CLB

On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:16:03 -0600, "Doug Cook"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The story thus far....

[story snipped]

>It is much more healthy then what
>passes for a diet in the land of the big mac.

Mmm....Big Mac...

Eldred
--
http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Screamers League

Gooserider wrote:
> I don't want to sound harsh, but something is evidently wrong with your
> diet. You're burning calories by doing your cardio, so you must be
> consuming more calories than you burn. Have you tried incorporating
> strength training? You'll burn more calories with more muscle.

Did you read Chris's statement? He kindly gave facts and advice.

--

First....I was an "obese" person myself once (and you qualify as obese
at this point). So I come from that side of the "fence" so to speak.

Secondly....get "real" with yourself. When you gain weight you are
consuming more calories than you burn. To lose weight you need to burn
more calories than you consume. The "concept" is quite simple and don't
let anyone tell you that it is any more difficult a concept than
that....IT ISN'T! Now....how many calories are YOU burning a day? I have
no idea...but it is more that what I burn per day....

Thirdly....you may "think" you are only consuming 2500 calories per
day...but we are whoafully inadequate and properly "guessing" how much
we are consuming. A study was done on morbidly obese people....they kept
a food diary of the amount and types of food they were eating and then
asked to write down how many calories they "thought" they were
consuming.

Well??? guess what??? it was WAYYYYYY off. On average they were
consuming 8000 calories per day and only thought they were consuming 2500-
3000 calories per day.

The fact is this.....you lost 5lbs...which means that you burned in 10
months 17500 calories total over what you consumed. Each pound of fat is
3500 calories. You lost 1/2 lb per month. Most dieticians would
reccomend only 1-2lbs per month.....the slower you loss the weight the
better chance you have of keeping it off.

Fourthly....it took you 12 years to put on 99lbs....that's 8.25lbs per
year on average you gained over the 12 year period.

Don't expect something that took you 12 years to put on to come off
overnight....it takes time. If it takes you 3 years to lose the
weight....it takes you 3 years....be happy about that. You'll be better
off for it and more likely to keep it off.

Ride more if you can. you are only averaging about 75 miles per week.
Shoot for more like 150 miles per week if you can....or 10-12 hours of
exercise....low intensity....long duration. Based on the number of miles
you are putting in at a conservative 17mph avg speed you are only
putting in 4.5 hours of exercise a week. Most weightloss experts say at
LEAST 6-7 hours....and I say 10-12.

Originally posted by Doug Cook The story thus far....

12 years ago - single, 6'3", 180lbs., hair, and competing in citizens
class triathlons.

Fast forward to last July... Married, two kids, mortgage, no hair,
sedentary, 279lbs.

Sick of that fat man in the mirror, I bought some XXL cycling clothes,
dusted off and tuned up my old Trek, and started riding again. Now 10
months and close to 3000 miles later... I still weigh 274! I mean...
come on! 3000 miles for 5 pounds?!

My fitness level has increased tremendously. I use to struggle on 10
mile rides. Now I do at least 3-4 weekday rides of 15-30 miles each and
one weekend ride for 50-70 miles - all solo. My computer puts my average
speed for these rides between 16-18mph depending upon the particular
ups&downs of the ride. My HRM says my average rate is usually right
about 75% of max (although that can vary, usually on the high side, when
the ride has climbing). I feel lean and mean while I ride, but when I
get home I wonder who that fat guy in the mirror is!

I don't diet per se, but I do eat sensibly. The days that I've tracked
my caloric intake it's usually right between 2500 - 3000. One friend who
is a "wellness" expert suggests I'm not eating *ENOUGH*. Although she
readily admits she doesn't specialize in athletes ("slovenly couch
potato" is how she describes her typical client), she says that with my
activity level my BMR is 5300... as she explained it that's the number
of calories needed to just maintain my weight! Therefore she thinks my
body thinks it's being starved and refuses to let go of the fat. She
thinks by eating MORE the body will move away from this starvation
reflex and start shedding pounds. She also suggested riding easy first
thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast so the body has to switch to fat
because the glycogen stores will be low (sound like a recipe for the
BONK to me).

Well, I tried to eat 4000 calories today and about died! I felt
horrible, stuffed, tired, etc. I tried riding with just water (no sport
drink), and found myself craving sugar after the ride.

Any experts lurking out there that would like to comment? Are there any
coaching services online that could help customize my training to help
me lose weight? I can't afford to hire a coach.

--

fuzzball [/i]

Originally posted by Doug Cook wrote:
> The story thus far....
> 12 years ago - single, 6'3", 180lbs., hair, and competing in citizens
> class triathlons.
> Fast forward to last July... Married, two kids, mortgage, no hair,
> sedentary, 279lbs.
> Sick of that fat man in the mirror, I bought some XXL cycling clothes,
> dusted off and tuned up my old Trek, and started riding again. Now 10
> months and close to 3000 miles later... I still weigh 274! I mean...
> come on! 3000 miles for 5 pounds?!
> My fitness level has increased tremendously. I use to struggle on 10
> mile rides. Now I do at least 3-4 weekday rides of 15-30 miles each and
> one weekend ride for 50-70 miles - all solo. My computer puts my average
> speed for these rides between 16-18mph depending upon the particular
> ups&downs of the ride. My HRM says my average rate is usually right
> about 75% of max (although that can vary, usually on the high side, when
> the ride has climbing). I feel lean and mean while I ride, but when I
> get home I wonder who that fat guy in the mirror is!
> I don't diet per se, but I do eat sensibly. The days that I've tracked
> my caloric intake it's usually right between 2500 - 3000. One friend who
> is a "wellness" expert suggests I'm not eating *ENOUGH*. Although she
> readily admits she doesn't specialize in athletes ("slovenly couch
> potato" is how she describes her typical client), she says that with my
> activity level my BMR is 5300... as she explained it that's the number
> of calories needed to just maintain my weight! Therefore she thinks my
> body thinks it's being starved and refuses to let go of the fat. She
> thinks by eating MORE the body will move away from this starvation
> reflex and start shedding pounds. She also suggested riding easy first
> thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast so the body has to switch to fat
> because the glycogen stores will be low (sound like a recipe for the
> BONK to me).
> Well, I tried to eat 4000 calories today and about died! I felt
> horrible, stuffed, tired, etc. I tried riding with just water (no sport
> drink), and found myself craving sugar after the ride.
> Any experts lurking out there that would like to comment? Are there any
> coaching services online that could help customize my training to help
> me lose weight? I can't afford to hire a coach.

FuzzBall : I agree with the points that you posted - albeit, you put
your points in a very stark way. But there is no other conclusion except
the one that you come to.

Credit where it's due though 3000 miles is a great achievement. Like
other posters here we want to see these 3000 miles pay a dividend (ie
the lose of weight).

Cut down the calorie intake.

--

fuzzball wrote:
> Secondly....get "real" with yourself. When you gain weight you are
> consuming more calories than you burn. To lose weight you need to burn
> more calories than you consume. The "concept" is quite simple and

Yep calories in versus calories out. I don't lose a single kilo anymore
because I eat as much as I burn

> putting in 4.5 hours of exercise a week. Most weightloss experts say
> at LEAST 6-7 hours....and I say 10-12.

Plus. Your fatburning engine doesn't really get started until after about
45-60 minutes. Hence it is better to do a couple of really long rides rather
than a bunch of rides shorter than an hour.

--
Perre

Doug Cook wrote:
> The story thus far....
> 12 years ago - single, 6'3", 180lbs., hair, and competing in citizens
> class triathlons.
> Fast forward to last July... Married, two kids, mortgage, no hair,
> sedentary, 279lbs.
> Sick of that fat man in the mirror, I bought some XXL cycling clothes,
> dusted off and tuned up my old Trek, and started riding again. Now 10
> months and close to 3000 miles later... I still weigh 274! I mean...
> come on! 3000 miles for 5 pounds?!
> My fitness level has increased tremendously. I use to struggle on 10
> mile rides. Now I do at least 3-4 weekday rides of 15-30 miles each and
> one weekend ride for 50-70 miles - all solo. My computer puts my average
> speed for these rides between 16-18mph depending upon the particular
> ups&downs of the ride. My HRM says my average rate is usually right
> about 75% of max (although that can vary, usually on the high side, when
> the ride has climbing). I feel lean and mean while I ride, but when I
> get home I wonder who that fat guy in the mirror is!
> I don't diet per se, but I do eat sensibly. The days that I've tracked
> my caloric intake it's usually right between 2500 - 3000. One friend who
> is a "wellness" expert suggests I'm not eating *ENOUGH*. Although she
> readily admits she doesn't specialize in athletes ("slovenly couch
> potato" is how she describes her typical client), she says that with my
> activity level my BMR is 5300... as she explained it that's the number
> of calories needed to just maintain my weight! Therefore she thinks my
> body thinks it's being starved and refuses to let go of the fat. She
> thinks by eating MORE the body will move away from this starvation
> reflex and start shedding pounds. She also suggested riding easy first
> thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast so the body has to switch to fat
> because the glycogen stores will be low (sound like a recipe for the
> BONK to me).
> Well, I tried to eat 4000 calories today and about died! I felt
> horrible, stuffed, tired, etc. I tried riding with just water (no sport
> drink), and found myself craving sugar after the ride.
> Any experts lurking out there that would like to comment? Are there any
> coaching services online that could help customize my training to help
> me lose weight? I can't afford to hire a coach.
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Doug,

January 1, 2002 I weighed 325 lbs. That day I stopped eating all fast
food (except Subway). I also began riding 3 days a week with my local
bike club. Each ride was between 30-35 miles and 2 out of 3 days were
rolling hills. March 1st I joined Weight Watchers. Sept. 6th I was 65
lbs lighter and still losing. I now float between 240 & 250, can
outride most of the people in the club, climb like a scalded billy
goat, never felt more fit in my life, and still write down every bite
that goes into my mouth.

Weight Watchers helped me learn about my eating habits, helped me
develope new "taste buds" so to speak, and ultimately make a lifestyle
change that is now permanent. I eat what I want anytime of the day or
night. I simply control the portions and plan ahead what I intend to
eat. Check it out. It works.

I've added to the equation now by using a "Total Gym" on my off bike
days. This adds the necessary strenth training to the program and only
takes 15 minutes a day (Tues, Thurs, & Sun.). I do a short "recovery"
ride on Sunday before the "Total Gym" to help get my heart rate up.

Lastly, if you do this program, make sure to keep your intensity up. Set
goals to increase your average by x on each ride. Ride with faster
people. Train with a race team 1 x per week. Find other "Clydesdales" to
ride with and hold individual time trials amongst yourselves. You learn
more when you teach so even if you don't think they ride well, you can
help them by teaching them to do what you do and it will motivate them
to motivate you!

Let me know how you progress.

Good luck,

Kev

--

just wondering, how come u let yourself get all lazy when u get married?
is that horrible curse that comes when u get marriedn and get kids? if

QUOTE]Originally posted by Doug Cook The story thus far....

[...]

koss78 top-posted:

> just wondering, how come u let yourself get all lazy when u get
> married? is that horrible curse that comes when u get marriedn and
> get kids? if so i dont tihnk i will ever get married at all?

Was that the gene pool I saw doing a little dance?

Bill "great headphones, though, back in the day" S.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> fuzzball wrote:

snippage...
> Plus. Your fatburning engine doesn't really get started until after about
> 45-60 minutes. Hence it is better to do a couple of really long rides

rather
> than a bunch of rides shorter than an hour.
>
> --
> Perre

Please give a scientific citation for this information. I've heard this for
years and I am still sceptical that this old piece of cycling advice is
true. I have read obesity journals and other professional literature and I
cannot evidence for this claim.
Thank You,
Hieronymus

Doug Cook wrote:
> The story thus far....
> 12 years ago - single, 6'3", 180lbs., hair, and competing in citizens
> class triathlons.
> Fast forward to last July... Married, two kids, mortgage, no hair,
> sedentary, 279lbs.
> Sick of that fat man in the mirror, I bought some XXL cycling clothes,
> dusted off and tuned up my old Trek, and started riding again. Now 10
> months and close to 3000 miles later... I still weigh 274! I mean...
> come on! 3000 miles for 5 pounds?!
> My fitness level has increased tremendously. I use to struggle on 10
> mile rides. Now I do at least 3-4 weekday rides of 15-30 miles each and
> one weekend ride for 50-70 miles - all solo. My computer puts my average
> speed for these rides between 16-18mph depending upon the particular
> ups&downs of the ride. My HRM says my average rate is usually right
> about 75% of max (although that can vary, usually on the high side, when
> the ride has climbing). I feel lean and mean while I ride, but when I
> get home I wonder who that fat guy in the mirror is!
> I don't diet per se, but I do eat sensibly. The days that I've tracked
> my caloric intake it's usually right between 2500 - 3000. One friend who
> is a "wellness" expert suggests I'm not eating *ENOUGH*. Although she
> readily admits she doesn't specialize in athletes ("slovenly couch
> potato" is how she describes her typical client), she says that with my
> activity level my BMR is 5300... as she explained it that's the number
> of calories needed to just maintain my weight! Therefore she thinks my
> body thinks it's being starved and refuses to let go of the fat. She
> thinks by eating MORE the body will move away from this starvation
> reflex and start shedding pounds. She also suggested riding easy first
> thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast so the body has to switch to fat
> because the glycogen stores will be low (sound like a recipe for the
> BONK to me).
> Well, I tried to eat 4000 calories today and about died! I felt
> horrible, stuffed, tired, etc. I tried riding with just water (no sport
> drink), and found myself craving sugar after the ride.
> Any experts lurking out there that would like to comment? Are there any
> coaching services online that could help customize my training to help
> me lose weight? I can't afford to hire a coach.
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Congrats are in order for you. There is a good book out by Lance
Armstrong and Chris Carmichael it's called 7 weeks to the perfect ride.
The book contains info for all levels with eating plans and workout
rides and so forth. But; Have you had a complete physical by your MD.
You mat have a chemical imballance of some sort. I think it is worth
looking into, who knows. Keep on riding.:D

--

> Perre
Please give a scientific citation for this information. I've heard this
for years and I am still sceptical that this old piece of cycling advice
is true. I have read obesity journals and other professional literature
and I cannot evidence for this claim. Thank You, Hieronymus

You are online are you not? Use your own search skills and educate
yourself, why don't you? What Pierre posted is factual, not lore. Rather
than task someone else to prove it to YOU, why don't you go find out for
yourself? At the very least, put in enough effort to try to prove him
wrong or admit he's right.

--

Let me make a few suggestions here.

1) You will need to do your riding to burn fat and not carbs. This is
done by riding at a completely comfortable aerobic pace and not
anaerobically. This means that you will have to pedal more easily and
at a lower heart rate. Try staying at about 65% of your max for the
duration of your ride. No showing off, no heroics. Avoid sprinting
and fast paces. Just keep it easy. The harder you ride, the more your
muscles will depend on burning carbs and not fat. This is why you are
having a strong sugar craving after your ride. Also you will want to
up your daily intake of protein if you haven't already done so.

2) You should also condition your body to become a fat burner and not a
carb burner by NOT eating for the 2 - 3 hours prior to riding. This
will take some will power on your part but it will do the trick.
Don't worry about bonking. This is not going to happen if you keep
your riding pace in the comfortable aerobic range as I suggest. You
will have to trust me on this. Truthfully, even a rider who has just
1% body fat and weighs only 100 lbs has 1 lb of fat on board for
fuel. At a calorie count of 9 cal per gram of fat, this means that
this super lean person has (458 grams x 9 cal) = 4000+ calories
available to him. At a relaxed pace translates into 8 - 10 hours of
steady riding. So, you certainly don't have to worry about bonking.
You will have to perhaps deal with a grumbling stomach but that will
go away with time. I know, this is what I do. In fact I find that
when I ride with food in my stomach I am really quite sluggish until
an hour or so passes and I have burned off the food that is still in
my system. Now when I ride with my buddied I just smile at them when
they complain of hunger pains after three hours on the road and I am
still fine and going strong and not hungry at all. It really does
work, you will just have to give it a try. Just don't expect to see
this effect over night, give it a few weeks to take effect.

3) you are going to have to up your daily ride to about 2 hours per day
minimum. A 15 mile ride is not going to do much for you. Try to make
it about 30 miles per day and don't worry about the one day where you
do your 50 - 60 miler. You will be better off by maintaining a steady
daily schedule of riding and not occillating your distances up and
down so much. This will get your body into a regular rhythm and it
will know what to expect from one day to the next.

4) When climbing, don't be a macho dude. Break down and use a triple.
Even go to the point where you are running a 12 - 27 cassette in the
back. You want to spin your way up the hills. I know that it can be
hard to keep from getting your heart rate up there when climbing,
just try to keep the increase to a minimum by following this advice.
So long as the majority of your ride (90 - 95%) is at the 65% heart
rate level, you will be fine with this and you will be a fat burner.

5) Now my final tip is to recover properly after each ride. You will
have burned up some amount of glycogen in your muscles and you will
want to replace this properly so you are able to go at it the next
day w/o feeling ragged out. This will mean consuming carbs and
protein at a 75% carb and 25% protein mix. DO NOT consume any fat at
this time because this will interfere with the effectiveness of your
recovery which is dependant on insuline doing its thing. Fat acts as
an insuline inhibitor and will cause the regeneration of your muscle
glycogen to be hampered.

For your body weight and limiting your workouts to just comfortable
aerobic ones, I would suggest about 25 grams of protein and 75 grams of
carbs within the first 30 minutes after each workout. A good economical
way to do this is to consume one scoop of weigh protein powder mixed in
water and then chase it down with 24 oz of Hi-C or Hawiian Punch. This
will give you the perfect proportion that I am advising here. You should
also take a couple of multi vitamins at this time. This will all go a
long way to getting your body properly recovered after your ride.

DO NOT take Gatorade after a ride. It has so little in the way of carbs
you will have to drink about 60 oz of it to get the same effect. (This
is almost 1/2 gallon) Since your body can only absorb water at the rate
of about 1 liter per hour, this will radically slow the rate that the
carbs are absorbed by your system not to mention the fact that you will
have a bloated stomach from drinking so much! Also, don't be sold on the
supposed electrolytes that Gatorade offers. The most important ones are
Salt and Potassium which will be more than pleantiful in your regular
diet. A single 8 oz glass of orange juice has many times more potassium
than Gatorade ever thought of. Gatorade is a marketing ploy to part you
from your money.

The bottom line is that carbs is carbs is carbs. Hi-C and Hawiian Punch
has it in spades and in a form that your body will readily absorb for
half the cost of traditional sports drinks by the gallon not to mention
the fact that you only have to drink half as much(or less) to get the
same effect.

Hope this helps and good luck with your cycling and weight loss.

--

"Insight Driver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Perre

> Please give a scientific citation for this information. I've heard this
> for years and I am still sceptical that this old piece of cycling advice
> is true. I have read obesity journals and other professional literature
> and I cannot evidence for this claim. Thank You, Hieronymus
>
> You are online are you not? Use your own search skills and educate
> yourself, why don't you? What Pierre posted is factual, not lore. Rather
> than task someone else to prove it to YOU, why don't you go find out for
> yourself? At the very least, put in enough effort to try to prove him
> wrong or admit he's right.

Insight Driver,
Read my question a wee bit closer. I did not write anyone is right or
wrong. Nor did I ask anyone to prove anything to me. I wrote that I have
tried to find scientific validation of the fact in question (did you not
see the part about reading journals?). I cannot find any studies online or
not online to validate the fat burning question. All I did was ask Perre to
give me a little help. You are the one who said it is factual, how do you
know it to be factual? Like any good scholar would do, give me a site or
journal reference to show the case for your point since I am unable to come
up with any proof on my own.

Hieronymus wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> fuzzball wrote:

> snippage...
>> Plus. Your fatburning engine doesn't really get started until after
>> about 45-60 minutes. Hence it is better to do a couple of really
>> long rides rather than a bunch of rides shorter than an hour.
>>
>> --
>> Perre

> Please give a scientific citation for this information. I've heard
> this for years and I am still sceptical that this old piece of
> cycling advice is true. I have read obesity journals and other
> professional literature and I cannot evidence for this claim.
> Thank You,
> Hieronymus

You know. It's not like I've been studying scientific abstracts that I can
link you to. This is information that I've gathered at coaching seminars and
other training related educatin that I've gone through.
Try reading training related journals instead of obesity journals. One
reason pro cyclists are interested in this is because they want to train in
such a fashion that they learn to utilize fat for energy rather than carbs.
One way of achieving this is to have workouts lasting longer than 45
minutes. The effects of this training is that the body uses less carbs and
more fat at a given intensity.

--
Perre