3000 miles,, in your face!

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
I bought my $88 Walmart mountain bike on May 27 after 35+ years off a bike. I tipped the scales at almost 270lbs.

This morning I weighed 218lbs and after my 32.6 mile ride this morning the old blue Power Climber had 3005.8 miles.

I also have a Walmart road bike, Huffy, it has 700 miles in just over a month. One day just over 100 miles.

EAT MY DUST!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Reactions: Scotty_Dog
Incredible numbers in all regards!! You're averaging 30+ miles per day over the past 4 months, and doing it on the cheapest bikes available. Bravo! I'm envious and in awe of the amount of time you are able to spend on the bike.

Originally Posted by Scotty_Dog .

Incredible numbers in all regards!! You're averaging 30+ miles per day over the past 4 months, and doing it on the cheapest bikes available. Bravo! I'm envious and in awe of the amount of time you are able to spend on the bike.

+1 I am amazed. The weight loss is also incredible.

Originally Posted by Scotty_Dog .

I am retired, well, almost retired, I am on the board of directors of a local bank but that is only a couple days a month. I also row a couple
days a week, three or four hours. The wife is out of town for a couple months a couple times a year so I have a lot of tree time.
Life is good...

BTW, I know the fellow that puts the bikes together at the local Walmart. He is, lets say, slow, but as with a lot of people like this he
is very focused on what he does and he does it very well. He does as many as fifteen bikes a day sometimes.. A couple Saturdays
ago the store sold twenty seven bikes. Walmart is good at hiring people that other wise would be considered unemployable and training
them and paying them a living wage. They also were very much involved in getting the local bike trials done.
I live within ten miles of the Walmart general office.

Originally Posted by davereo .

+1 I am amazed. The weight loss is also incredible.
I have worked hard at this. I have not had any pizza, ice cream, candy, sodas, or burger and fries since I got the bike.
I have cut back to about half of what I was eating. Grilled chicken, rice, veggies, very limited bread. Roast beef sandwiches
are a main stay, made with half a hoagie bun and half a slice of swiss cheese. I have gone to eating a bigger breakfast and
a very light lunch and dinner.

Breakfast is, bacon, eggs, hash browns,one slice of dry toast, fruit, orange juice, coffee.
Or, one pancake, fruit, bacon or sausage, orange juice, coffee. Some times a small waffle.
Or, fried toast with honey, orange juice, fruit, coffee.
Or, Three small biscuits with butter and honey, orange juice, fruit, coffee.

The bacon is one strip, or one sausage patty, these are drained well.

My big treat is to go to Taco Tico and get two tacos and a glass of water on Sunday. Of course I
ride my bike there..

Thanks for the comments and encouragement !

Whayyyy well done that's fantastic, on a cheap bike too. It just goes to show it's not the bike but the spirit and will that's important. Keep at, let us know when the wheels fall off.

Congratulations sir, your progress is awesome to read! I have to get into the habit of logging my miles for the clydesdale challenge thread, right now I only rely on a iPhone app and sometimes forget to turn it on before a ride.

Congrats on the weight loss and the accumulated mileage.

After a decade off the bike, I went from mid 140s to almost 230lbs. Thankfully, that's dropped to the mid 160s. There's a bit to go but it's still fun and I'm starting to get back to the point where my brain actually thinks that I'm "kinda sorta" getting back upto speed.

While I loved my old cheap Peugeot "Robert Millar" with it's steel rims, "gas pipe" tubing and plastic downtube gear levers and rear mech (Simplex), that provided a good training bike for quite a few years... I can't say that I want to go out and ride something like it again. :p

I doff my cap to you, sir.

Very impressive figures.

(never thought I'd hear myself praising a banker but there you go/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif)

Originally Posted by limerickman .
(never thought I'd hear myself praising a banker but there you go/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif)
I am not really a banker. I am on the board because it is a family owned bank and I was appointed to take
my dads place on the board as he is not always able to attend the meetings. My brother in law is the chairman.
My family opened the bank in 1900.

As long as you don't call me a lawyer we are fine!

BTW, I did almost 62 miles today.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

I am not really a banker. I am on the board because it is a family owned bank and I was appointed to take
my dads place on the board as he is not always able to attend the meetings. My brother in law is the chairman.
My family opened the bank in 1900.

As long as you don't call me a lawyer we are fine!

BTW, I did almost 62 miles today.
I was only kidding with you.

Very impressive mileage BHOFM : you're putting us all to shame!

Congrats on the weight loss. I got my Fuji Absolute 1.0 in March and have 3064 miles on it, but I have only lost 20#. I have not changed my eatin habits. And I am 65 allmost 66, I allso have 362 miles on my Cannondale and 100 on my Jamis. retirement is good /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
I have thaught about buying a cheep bike every year and not having to do a overhall at the end of the year ,just give it to some one and get a fresh bike for the next year it might be cheeper in the long run/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by wild .

Congrats on the weight loss. I got my Fuji Absolute 1.0 in March and have 3064 miles on it, but I have only lost 20#. I have not changed my eatin habits. And I am 65 allmost 66, I allso have 362 miles on my Cannondale and 100 on my Jamis. retirement is good /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
I have thaught about buying a cheep bike every year and not having to do a overhall at the end of the year ,just give it to some one and get a fresh bike for the next year it might be cheeper in the long run/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Well..............

I doubt it would be cheaper to buy a new bike every year, but if the money spent is of no consequence to you, it would be easier for you and a nice gift to someone needing a bike...

Kind of like leasing a car I suppose.

It sounds like you had a good year so far for riding, keep up the good work! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

I bought a SCHWINN VARSITY from Walmart. I liked the bike so much that I immediately went for a 70 mile bike ride.

This summer I hope to study Arabic in Beirut before taking up classes at King's College London. I typically do 10-20 miles on a stationary at the gym (when time permits working out), but I want to try to bike from Beirut to London in the two months between the end of one program and the beginning of another. That's nearly 2,900 miles to be covered in approximately 60 days. Does this seem physically possible (nevermind the logistics and the 12 national boundary crossings) to you guys? I'm definitely at an amateur level, and even after spending this year getting ready I am no Lance Armstrong.

- Craig

I am old, fat and ugly, but I have 20 million dollars so it don't matter! [COLOR= #0000ff]-- REALLY?? I'm old, fat, and still pretty (or so I'm told), but I'm poor; will you marry me? ROFL. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Seriously, BHOFM, you are officially now my hero. I'm ashamed to admit that I weigh close to what you weighed when you started; but I've lost 30 pounds since August by biking and eating better, and hope to continue a long way down the path you took. As a woman, it will take me a lot longer than it did you to lose the weight (men have such a bye with their muscle-mass thing, sigh), but I'm determined to do it, too -- and healthily, biking and eating right, instead of by the latest eat-something-weird diet. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It says you average 30 miles a day, so that gives me something to shoot for. Right now I'm up to 7, and sometimes feel like I'm dying when I'm done, lol, but it is definitely getting easier and so much fun I can't imagine ever stopping. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]CONGRATULATIONS on your achievements; I'm more impressed than you know. Ride on![/COLOR]