30km, 200m

D.M. Procida

Guest
Today my seven-year-olds and I cycled from home to Castell Coch, a nice
30 km ride up the Taff Trail and back. Not bad for a pair of small boys.

When on the roads we had very little to worry about from drivers. Most
of them went out of their way to give us plenty of room, and made it
clear that they were giving us time and space to do whatever it was we
had to do. Until, 200m from home, two drivers in succession made a
nuisance of themselves, on the same road - one gave every appearance of
intending to occupy the same space on the road as we were, and the
second insisted on overtaking in a tight spot.

I don't think there was any aggression or even impatience there, just a
complete unawareness of what a car looks like to a cyclist, especially a
cyclist whose children are wobbling along just behind him.

I had words with both drivers, one conversation of which ended in a
useless verbal confrontation. I don't think I did much good with that,
just succeeded in making the pair of us angry and upset. It was a shame,
because it marred what had otherwise been a really nice trip.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

D.M. Procida wrote:

> Today my seven-year-olds and I cycled from home to Castell Coch, a nice
> 30 km ride up the Taff Trail and back. Not bad for a pair of small boys.

Nice ride, although I've only ever approached the castle from the
north. How steep is the approach to the castle from Tongwynlais?

"Our National Emergency Plan simply calls for lots of middle-aged women
to stand around in Post Office queues saying "Well, I said it'd happen"
until we all starve to death" - Mil Millington

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:58:46 +0100,
[email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>I had words with both drivers, one conversation of which ended in a
>useless verbal confrontation. I don't think I did much good with that,
>just succeeded in making the pair of us angry and upset. It was a shame,
>because it marred what had otherwise been a really nice trip.
>
>Daniele

What a shame .......... I had the usual yesterday when I was in town
...... lets beat the cyclist to the juction, give the cyclist 10mm of
room, that usual sort of thing.

I had a wonderful thought on the way home though.................
COMPULSORY town cycle riding in the driving test ............ as well
as crossing the road slowly (elderly) with a white stick and red bands
(blind and deaf) and also in a run in a wheelchair ............... ALL
compulsory ...............

No chance ............... Even realistic driving is not taught
properly ..............

I live in Linconlshire where you have to mutiply the driver idiot
factor by 20 ...................... that is why over 100 die on Lincs
roads every year ............ pathetic

Even more stunning, I put this question to a driving instructor
acquaintance "why do I NEVER see people, including learner drivers
under instruction INDICATE when overtaking a cyclist" Answer: Not
really need unless a drastic change of direction is needed (by the
car) and why should I waste my indicator bulbs to indicate every 20
seconds ........ (this was an actual answer)

Shocked I answered to let the vehicle behind you be aware of a
possibly vunerable cyclist (as in the original poster children) on the
left.................... and walked away.

Bloody idiot !!!!!

Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote:

> D.M. Procida wrote:
>
> > Today my seven-year-olds and I cycled from home to Castell Coch, a nice
> > 30 km ride up the Taff Trail and back. Not bad for a pair of small boys.

> Nice ride, although I've only ever approached the castle from the
> north. How steep is the approach to the castle from Tongwynlais?

Not too bad, but hard work for small legs. Once inside the castle
grounds we had to push the bikes up the hill - it was just much too
steep for them. I don't know if I could have managed it all the way
myself.

Daniele
--

D.M. Procida wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> D.M. Procida wrote:
>>
>> > Today my seven-year-olds and I cycled from home to Castell Coch, a nice
>> > 30 km ride up the Taff Trail and back. Not bad for a pair of small boys.

>> Nice ride, although I've only ever approached the castle from the
>> north. How steep is the approach to the castle from Tongwynlais?

> Not too bad, but hard work for small legs. Once inside the castle
> grounds we had to push the bikes up the hill - it was just much too
> steep for them. I don't know if I could have managed it all the way
> myself.

Yeah, I've seen the hill up to the castle (from the top :)) and it's a
nasty one. That's why I've never really fancied taking the high-level
route back up the valley.

"You're going on after Crispy Ambulance"

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
> I had a wonderful thought on the way home though.................
> COMPULSORY town cycle riding in the driving test ............

If I ruled the world:
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/ifiruled.html>